Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi I a couple of days ago we were given our GCSE Art Exam paper the question i choose was:

3. South Asia

the arts and crafts of South Asia, including painting, sculpting, architecture, textiles, and jewellery are often rich in colour and decoration.

Carry out appropraite research and produce work based on the theme 'Explosion of Colour'

I am finding it really hard to find information, e.g. artists research, i have searched google and not got much, does anyone know if u have to pick a particulur country in South Asia?

Does anyone know of any artists and good website i could use ASAP.

Please Help,

Thanks Carl
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by 99cshepherdson)
    Hi I a couple of days ago we were given our GCSE Art Exam paper the question i choose was:

3. South Asia

the arts and crafts of South Asia, including painting, sculpting, architecture, textiles, and jewellery are often rich in colour and decoration.

Carry out appropraite research and produce work based on the theme 'Explosion of Colour'

I am finding it really hard to find information, e.g. artists research, i have searched google and not got much, does anyone know if u have to pick a particulur country in South Asia?

Please Help,

Thanks Carl
    Have you tried doing a Google Image search (ie looking for pictures not just websites) - it's probably worth searching for all sorts of South Asian countries and then deciding which style you find most interesting.

ReputationRep:
    I did India as part of my art work one year (can't remember which!). It's BEAUTIFUL, absolutely phenominal - I particularly like the rugs and weavings - they are beautiful. Thailand (don't know if this is the right place - bad at geog) is also amazing.

You might find it hard to find Indian or Thai artists for the art history section SO instead, try and find artists who have been similarly influenced by south asian art work. Look at art history and look for work where colours are the prominent part of the painting. (Good for this is the ART book by phaidon - get it from the library or have a look through it a shop, write down the artist name and work and look it up on the net)

Try experimenting as well, that always goes down nicely. For example I found something about how they painted on sand and did my own interpretation in pastels or try a bit of weaving or take henna patterns (not quite colour, but very patterened) and manipulate wire to make similarly interesting shapes.

GO through magazines picking out colours that are particularly south asian and rip them out, make a collage so you have a colour mood (usually a mixture of bright and ochre/sienna colours). Also, use acrylic paints doing a series of colour experiments - mix and paint, write down what you've used for example

burnt sienna + yellow ochre

and then blob it on a piece of paper and write it underneath. then add some blue or something to the palette, mix it up and blob it and write:

burnt sienna + yellow ochre + cobalt blue (or whatever)

They seem to like this. There is a book called "The COlour EYe" which is very good for all your basic info on colour - wheels, complimentary etc etc. I know it seems basic but ti doesnt take long and it makes a nice sketchbook page.

You might find it tricky to do observation drawings for this topic - try drawing things that are bright colours - daffodils, orange-handled scissors. What is ncie is if you doa little still life of cool coloured thigns and warm coloured things and draw them (using different mark making technqiues - collage, paint, pastel, combination of them all - be really inventinve here). You could also go to the museum and draw some south asian artifacts to show you can do colour-less pencil drawing as well.

IMPORTANT
    >>>>>>Make sure you do a mixture of: experiments/1st and 2nd hand drawing/ art history/ plenty of ideas and idea development. OOO and annotation - they love loads of annotation. annotate to DEATH!<<<<<<

I've attached a picture of rugs (from Morocco so Africa, but I thought you could see the "explosion" there). I got really into rugs and patchwork re: India and then I translated it into the patchwork of English hills and went and drew some and then for my exam I painted the story of George and teh Dragon (in ENglish pathwork hills) in really bright Indian colours with Indian Script.

xxblissy

ReputationRep:
    <bump> (sorry, I spent a while writing that and want to make sure the original thread poster notices it when he comes back)

ReputationRep:
    i've choosen one on south asia for my exam......but it's a bit differnt.............wot exam board is ur's

ReputationRep:
    if you are going to study south asia, focus in on one very small aspect of it, e.g. traditional headdresses in the Phillippines. you have to look really closely at one tiny aspect in that kind of question- otherwise you'll be swamped

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by riffraff)
    if you are going to study south asia, focus in on one very small aspect of it, e.g. traditional headdresses in the Phillippines. you have to look really closely at one tiny aspect in that kind of question- otherwise you'll be swamped
    Make sure you do something you have access to - you need some direct observation.

Our art teacher says he still has nightmares about a guy who did an art project on the Taj Mahal last year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    <bump> (sorry, I spent a while writing that and want to make sure the original thread poster notices it when he comes back)
    you sound as though you study art
    can you help me with mine :rolleyes:

the question is also on south asia:

the rich and vibrant colours of clothing worn in differnt parts of south asia have a symbolic or religious significance.

form your research into the ways colours are used in south asian cultures, produce work in response to an aspect in your life

i'm starting by trying to find out wot colours symbolise.......but i can't find the answer!

ReputationRep:
    "The COlour Eye" Is the way to go. It's an A5 sized BBC book that's dark blue. You should be able to get it in a library - it's really really good. I can't really help with specifics but make sure you look at the mark scheme and try an fulfil every aspect, even if it gets boring because the exam is worth a lot of marks. Charity shops are good for books to cut stuff out of - I found a lonely planet Thailand book with loads of colour pictures in.

Observation drawing is something hard to fulfil - for your topic... ummm how abotu looking at other signifcant cultures that you have artifacts to draw from - silly things like clogs or crucifixes or anything around the house that has cultural significance. This would also be a stepping stone from Asia to an aspect of your own life I suppose

ReputationRep:
    "The COlour Eye" Is the way to go. It's an A5 sized BBC book that's dark blue. You should be able to get it in a library - it's really really good. I can't really help with specifics but make sure you look at the mark scheme and try an fulfil every aspect, even if it gets boring because the exam is worth a lot of marks. Charity shops are good for books to cut stuff out of - I found a lonely planet Thailand book with loads of colour pictures in.

Observation drawing is something hard to fulfil - for your topic... ummm how abotu looking at other signifcant cultures that you have artifacts to draw from - silly things like clogs or crucifixes or anything around the house that has cultural significance. This would also be a stepping stone from Asia to an aspect of your own life I suppose :)
    thanx! :)

ReputationRep:
    Hi, thanks for that, do u have any indian fabrica or more rugs images i could have?

I have choosen fabrics as my main thing and final piece.

Also I am not very good at drawing do you know where i can get some basic indian, south asian pictures.

Would you be able to email to [email protected]

Thanks Again

Carl

ReputationRep:
    Observation drawing is something hard to fulfil - for your topic... ummm how abotu looking at other signifcant cultures that you have artifacts to draw from - silly things like clogs or crucifixes or anything around the house that has cultural significance. This would also be a stepping stone from Asia to an aspect of your own life I suppose
    my mate just did a project on pattern and was looking a lot at (i think it was) islamic patterns. she really likes the rugs and when she researched it all a bit, she found that the reason a lot of the art is patterns in the forms of rugs, floors...etc, was because the religion forbids them to represent life or something (someone please add to this - i know its v.v.vague) but what im getting at is that you could do observational drawings of things from southern asia or from your own life and then make a geometrical pattern from that. To develop geometrical patternms, photoshop is always good - if you pixellate an image, you have a variety of images and the natural shape is quite lost.

hope this helps a bit.

ReputationRep:
    what exam board are you on?
    could you give me the art exam paper?
    i haven't had mine!

ReputationRep:
    My teachers engineered it so that you had the Easter holiday to do prep work as well - you're allowed so many weeks of term-time, but it doesn't count Easter. So basically, I had 6 weeks instead of 4. I suppose that is what your teachers are doing artypants.

ReputationRep:
    my word is ritual. im not sure what exam board im on. either ocr or edexcel-edxcel i think!!

i had environemnt last year so if you had that, yours will be ritual. dearyxxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 99cshepherdson)

3. South Asia

Please Help,

Thanks Carl
    Hi I live in South East Asia, there are tons of artist's here. What are you interested in? 3d art, textiles, painting, drawing? Patica Abad has visited my school a few times, she mainly works with collages and textiles, I think tho' I could be wrong.
    http://www.pacitaabad.com/

If you need any other help I can ask around for you since I also take art, I'm doing "Safely contained" edexcel exam board.

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.