Plenty of Fish - Male vs. Female perspectives

Watch
dgeorge
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
So I've heard differing perspectives on the whole online dating thing. Having had a POF (thats plenty of fish, the top online dating site for those who don't know) account for some time now (don't message anyone anymore, as I'm now in a relationship) I was a bit curious to see how many replies a male POF account vs. a female POF account.

I chose a couple random pictures of a woman (black, like me, just to make things as close as possible) and then uploaded the information onto a POF account. She's relatively good looking (as I think I am :P) and has a couple of pictures with her out "partying" - wearing a nice, shortish dress with heels
Panda Bear
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I don't get it. What are you asking?
dgeorge
Rep:
?
Bit of a flashback - for the almost year that I've been on the site with my personal profile, I have (up to current date) about 60 views that have registered (you can make yourself "invisible" when you visit others profiles). I've had maybe about 15 or so women send initial messages to me with my status set to "Single, wants relationship" in london. I've had about 5-6 "meet me" requests

The female account is also to single, wants a relationship, in london, with a nearby postcode
dgeorge
Rep:
?
(Original post by Panda Bear)
I don't get it. What are you asking?
I'm sharing my experience of two different accounts - male and female.
dgeorge
Rep:
?
So in the past hour, i've had 8 meet me requests, over 50 profile views, and 14 messages -

i.e. several months of me being on the site has equalled to LESS THAN ONE HOUR of traffic for a female.

For other women, is this your experience as well?
spiral87
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by dgeorge)
So in the past hour, i've had 8 meet me requests, over 50 profile views, and 14 messages -

i.e. several months of me being on the site has equalled to LESS THAN ONE HOUR of traffic for a female.

For other women, is this your experience as well?
With experience from creating a massively obviously fake female account with a picture of a girl I grabbed off Google, I would say yes. I got several hundred messages over the course of a few days. So many in fact, I wonder if they were auto-generated. I had messages come in within SECONDS of clicking "Sign up". I say seconds, I mean I clicked Sign up and by the time I got to the Index page, my Inbox already contained messages.
Anonymous #1
Report 9 years ago
I got a quick question about POF...

Can you delete your account and profile if you decide you don't want it there anymore? I mean properly deactivate the account.
littleshambles
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Of course, absolutely. I think this probably is a great exaggeration of the asymmetry that exists in real life / in general though, for a few reasons (it's easier to send a message over the internet, loads of perverts, instant access for thousands more people, etc)
James'
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Summary; there's more weird, desperate males online than there is females?
alawhisp
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I know a guy on it who has had a lot of messages off females (and some from males too) - but he made an exceptionally incendiary profile and set that he was only looking for friends. Some of the women were horrid, some were lovely and he's still friends with a couple of them. He's been encouraging me to sign up as looking for friends as I am moving to London soon and it'd be good to meet new people, but it's not really the same deal as a female.. Couldn't be bothered sifting through the messages just to meet someone moderately less unhinged than the average user :rolleyes:
dgeorge
Rep:
?
(Original post by spiral87)
With experience from creating a massively obviously fake female account with a picture of a girl I grabbed off Google, I would say yes. I got several hundred messages over the course of a few days. So many in fact, I wonder if they were auto-generated. I had messages come in within SECONDS of clicking "Sign up". I say seconds, I mean I clicked Sign up and by the time I got to the Index page, my Inbox already contained messages.
I got four messaged before I even had a chance to upload my picture....even worse after
dgeorge
Rep:
?
Had half a dozen more messages since, with another 9 meet me requests

Wow, I knew men were more desperate, but not THIS bad
alawhisp
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Had half a dozen more messages since, with another 9 meet me requests

Wow, I knew men were more desperate, but not THIS bad
Not surprised. It's part of the reason I'm so turned off by the idea.. It seems mostly a numbers game, fire off as many messages as possible hoping one "bites"..
dgeorge
Rep:
?
The thing is, I haven't gotten any really "pervy" messages. In fact, most of them have been quite nice! However, I guess there is a bit of a smell of desperation coming from them, although a few of them do look genuinely interesting
alawhisp
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The thing is, I haven't gotten any really "pervy" messages. In fact, most of them have been quite nice! However, I guess there is a bit of a smell of desperation coming from them, although a few of them do look genuinely interesting
Well, put on a wig and go and make their night
sil3nt_cha0s
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
By and large, online dating is a complete waste of time. It's literally just a place where women (even the ugly ones) get their egos boosted to unprecedented levels by a plethora of desperate, socially inept white knights.
spiral87
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Would be cool if dating sites could limit the amount of first contact messages sent between users per day

*Writes down as a potential business idea for a new dating site*
Goddness
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I still have an account but purely for a laugh, I been saying it over and over again that POF is full of desperate guys and ugly socially inept girls... There are some decent people on there, but If a good looking girl gets 200 messages what are the chances of mine being replied to, or things going further. Infact last night I had a 'hot' girl who clicked the 'meet me' thing, but she was looking for prince charming and was quite dumb so I told her to get to ****.

It's full of 'hairdressers' and 'beauticians', I swear I didn't know soo many hairdressers existed in my rather small city... But in other words its full of girls with low qualifications and dead end jobs looking for a rich guys with a yot who will 'wine and dine' them...

In short, in my area there are 2-3 girls who are on a reasonably same level like me (have a degree and decent looking) but with a ratio of 10 guys to 1 girl my chances of getting anywhere are close to 0... So I stopped sending messages unless there's someone i 'realllly' like, get a few messages like 'hey baibz' and I'm like ewww.

When I'm bored I also check other guys profiles in the area and some of them are totally tragic, they are sooo lame that it's not even funny, it does make sense why they're still single.
Shockolate
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I made an account a while back just because a friend was talking about it being really funny, and I was bored so I thought why not. Didn't upload a profile pic at first as I didn't want anyone from 'real life' to recognise me, wrote a couple of paragraphs in the about me though. Still got loads of messages from guys, some were okay just chatty but a bit boring, some being like 'hiya u got any pics babe?', some pretty pathetic and desperate such as guys pouring their heart out in the first message and being like 'I'm a good hearted bloke I would never cheat on anyone', and people saying they would love to take me on a date (before they even saw a pic of me). Ignored most of the messages because they came across as either boring or desperate, only one person I really got chatting to. When I added a picture got even more messages, like a few a minute at some points, must have gotten 200 in the space of a day. Loads of 'hiya u are stunning babe do u have bbm?' 'can't believe a girl like you is on here you must have guys falling at your feet' etc, some really desperate ones again, a few creepy ones, some ones just making conversation, guys attempting to make witty/quirky comments.

Some of the messages seem cut and paste, but others they've obviously read my profile and do say something more original.

Only one person on there who I've really clicked with, who I'm now texting
Anonymous #2
Report 9 years ago
As a female with a picture I literally got the whole 40 pages of messages in a couple of days, it really daunted me and I backed away slowly.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (62)
27.93%
England (78)
35.14%
Belgium (17)
7.66%
Germany (27)
12.16%
Spain (3)
1.35%