The Student Room Group

Why aren't women stopped and searched by Police?

Scroll to see replies

Because statistically speaking, men are more likely to commit crime than women.
Original post by Brienza13
and most criminals are black?

isnt this thread about gender?
Women aren't perceived a threat. Police perception of who looks physically intimidating and aggressive has much to do with who is stopped.
Reply 23
less female police officers on the street and since men cant search a female and usually refuse to go through the effort of bringing them to the station without a damn good reason = less women searched
have a nice week.

sounds like you haven't had one in a while?

I've had a great week actually, maybe that's why I don't ask stupid questions on the internet.
Original post by cl_steele
less female police officers on the street and since men cant search a female and usually refuse to go through the effort of bringing them to the station without a damn good reason = less women searched

Such a ridiculous policy. So basically, if there isn't a woman cop, then they just let criminals get away with stuff? It's madness.
Reply 26
and most criminals are black?

No, but a far higher proportion of the Black community is likely to commit crime than the portion of the White community is. And this figure only rises when we talk about male youths in inner city areas, where S&S initiatives are normally found.
well you could search her bag?

and why aren#t their more female officers on the streets searching women instead of only employing male officers to search only males?

Sexism by the met maybe?

male officers arnt allowed to search female bags.

i worked in a youth centre last year, and we had gig nights, were there were bouncers, and we had to do bag checks before people went in, and i had to check all the females bags, and they bouncers had to check the male bags...
Reply 28
Original post by Snagprophet
Such a ridiculous policy. So basically, if there isn't a woman cop, then they just let criminals get away with stuff? It's madness.

No, if a crime is committed then the Police are within their rights to apprehend the female criminal. However, S&S because it requires 'intimate contact', or whatever the term is, I forget, must be carried out by an officer of the same gender. Afterall, if a male officer starts checking a females' bra for drugs or weapons, how many complaints of sexual misconduct do you think would be brought every day?
Original post by Steevee
No, if a crime is committed then the Police are within their rights to apprehend the female criminal. However, S&S because it requires 'intimate contact', or whatever the term is, I forget, must be carried out by an officer of the same gender. Afterall, if a male officer starts checking a females' bra for drugs or weapons, how many complaints of sexual misconduct do you think would be brought every day?

Oh yeah, I forgot how the police in general rape anyone they can get their hands on. So a man checks a woman's bra, obvious for sexual reasons and not for looking for drugs, a woman does the same thing and suddenly checking for drugs is legitimate? What a load of ****. Maybe use recording just to prove that people searching for drugs on suspicious looking people aren't doing it to get a chance to rape the **** out of them.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 30
Oh yeah, I forgot how the police in general rape anyone they can get their hands on. So a man checks a woman's bra, obvious for sexual reasons and not for looking for drugs, a woman does the same thing and suddenly checking for drugs is legitimate? What a load of ****. Maybe use recording just to prove that people searching for drugs on suspicious looking people aren't doing it to get a chance to rape the **** out of them.

Calm down.

I'm not saying it's my opinion, in my opinion male officers should be allowed to search females. But I'm saying, just look what they'd open themselves up to. God knows the Police Force have a hard enough time as it is with various drunks complaing of excessive force, thugs complaining of harassment and so forth, and every claim has to be dealt with. So if you get men searching women, the complaints will just flood in no doubt, as women will not want to be searched by anyone, but especially not a man.
Original post by Steevee
Calm down.

I'm not saying it's my opinion, in my opinion male officers should be allowed to search females. But I'm saying, just look what they'd open themselves up to. God knows the Police Force have a hard enough time as it is with various drunks complaing of excessive force, thugs complaining of harassment and so forth, and every claim has to be dealt with. So if you get men searching women, the complaints will just flood in no doubt, as women will not want to be searched by anyone, but especially not a man.

That's what I hate about this country, we pander to hypocritical sexist people.
Reply 32
That's what I hate about this country, we pander to hypocritical sexist people.

Well, there are legitimate concerns. But that said, treating all Police Officers as perverts seems a tad silly to me, when their mandate is to stop crime.

Plus, if we're honest, the kind of women who get stopped and searched aren't normally the kind you'd want to feel up anyway :mmm:
Original post by Steevee
Plus, if we're honest, the kind of women who get stopped and searched aren't normally the kind you'd want to feel up anyway :mmm:

I know. If I was a cop and one of them accused me of being a rapist for doing my job, I'd say 'listen love, there's no ****ing hope in hell that I would ever want to do this, you ugly slut'.
In an ideal world, male Police Officers should be able to search females; alas, they probably WOULD leave themselves open to allegations, this way. I wouldn't put it past many female CRIMINALS, to make such an allegation.
Reply 35
Females commit less street crime so are less likely to fit the description of someone who has committed such of these crimes, hence they are going to be stopped and searched less. If as many women committed street robberies and burglaries then maybe they would be stopped and searched more.
Reply 36
You need a policewoman to search women and fewer of them around

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending