The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Becca
See my edited post...I have no idea how to do that! :frown:

Sorry, I've only got MS Paint, so this is the best I can do (yes, I know it sucks).:frown:
Original post by hobnob
Sorry, I've only got MS Paint, so this is the best I can do (yes, I know it sucks).:frown:

Not bad for Paint! I've got photoediting software so I will probably be able to do it at some point, but I've got to finish the methods section of my paper and then go and catch a train.
Reply 22
Original post by scarlet ibis
Not bad for Paint! I've got photoediting software so I will probably be able to do it at some point, but I've got to finish the methods section of my paper and then go and catch a train.

You mean you're actually putting work before your duty to GOGSoc? For shame!:biggrin:
I can do it in photoshop this eve if ibis doesn't get there first :smile:
Supervisor meeting was good :smile: Turned out it was the right decision not to try and do the essay in a rush, since they think the ideas for it would work better as three chapters :eek3: Yikes! So we've settled on a more feasible long term schedule.
Have to say I'm pretty daunted. How do you eat an elephant? I'm so used to writing short punchy essays, that I'm struggling to see how I'll make them stretch out that much. But we'll see.
Reply 25
Original post by sj27
PRSOM.

glad to hear this... And also, when you get your distinction, you will know it was a "proper" one, something you had expressed concern about earlier. I presume you'll be reworking the same topic?

That was definitely one of the things I was annoyed about. I will change my topic based on the feedback I was given (whoever marked my dissertation suggested I might have missed a trick by not making point x the main subject of my dissertation, so I am going to focus more on point x), but the way I think about it is that this feedback is what I would have been given during the summer if I had been supervised.
Reply 26
Original post by hobnob

Much better effort than I'd ever be able to produce!
Reply 27
Yay to evantej. Yay to sj. I love the title of this new thread. That is all.

Oh, and Craggy, I think deep down you know how to eat an elephant! Are you putting together a provisional chapter outline / structure yet? When it comes to writing, plunging in is all you can do. I ended up with four chapters (not including the Intro) of 15'000 words each, which is pretty long for thesis chapters. Each chapter had three sections and an introduction, which made the writing much easier to manage and organise. At the time I frequently wish that I'd opted for smaller chapter-lengths though, as it felt like just a long uphill struggle every time I started a new one.

Sorry, that wasn't very helpful, I'm just rambling :redface: Will you be doing much field research or whatever its called (surveys, graphs...)?
Reply 28
Original post by the_alba

Oh, and Craggy, I think deep down you know how to eat an elephant! Are you putting together a provisional chapter outline / structure yet? When it comes to writing, plunging in is all you can do. I ended up with four chapters (not including the Intro) of 15'000 words each, which is pretty long for thesis chapters. Each chapter had three sections and an introduction, which made the writing much easier to manage and organise. At the time I frequently wish that I'd opted for smaller chapter-lengths though, as it felt like just a long uphill struggle every time I started a new one.

Sorry, that wasn't very helpful, I'm just rambling :redface: Will you be doing much field research or whatever its called (surveys, graphs...)?

Any news on your fiancé?

Nope, that's useful thankyou. My supervisors have advised me to stick to 10,000 words. This will be easier for me too as I find shorter things easier to write.
I think I'm just going to write a 'stream of consciousness' thing of indeterminate length over the next two weeks and then send it to them going 'aaaakk - what do I do now'. They'll be able to help me identify where to split my ideas up into different projects and what things need more work.
So the provisional essay will just be a way of getting all my ideas down on paper while they're still buzzing around my head, and I'll structure it after that.

Both my undergrad dissertation and thesis weren't very good. I had much higher marks on everything else. I think the problem is that I'm very used to short essay writing. All my skills are based around that. I now need to learn a whole new way of working. And I need to get lazy. For short essays you can rely on rhetoric more, whereas now I'll need to get into the habit of careful, methodical thorough demonstration of my ideas, which I don't think I've adequately learnt yet.
Reply 30
Original post by Becca
Any news on your fiancé?

He had an awesome first day, he says. Loved the class, breezed the reading, and is getting on super-well with everyone. I really hope his impression of how it's going is shared by them! Today, he has yet more interviews, possibly awkward ones as they'll be with upper managerial types who won't know who he is but will be looking to see whether someone like him would fit in with their fine institution.

I can imagine it going a bit like this:

He'll be telling them all about his Reagan fundraisers, his golf handicap, and his various community board memberships (rotary club, council for conservative citizens...)! :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 31
He had an awesome first day, he says. Loved the class, breezed the reading, and is getting on super-well with everyone. I really hope his impression of how it's going is shared by them! Today, he has yet more interviews, possibly awkward ones as they'll be with upper managerial types who won't know who he is but will be looking to see whether someone like him would fit in with their fine institution.

I can imagine it going a bit like this:

Edit: Youtube embedding doesn't work? Okay, link.

He'll be telling them all about his Reagan fundraisers, his golf handicap, and his various community board memberships (rotary club, council for conservative citizens...)! :biggrin:

Sounds fantastic! Hope it goes equally well tomorrow.
I have never seen that clip before, it's brilliant. Will your fiancé be doing the same thing Larry does with his glasses? :rofl:
Hope you don't mind me fixing that alba. Neither the link nor the embedding worked for me. You need to use the code at the end of the link between the two
tags. You don't include the http://www.youtube.com bit.
Reply 33
Original post by Craghyrax
Nope, that's useful thankyou. My supervisors have advised me to stick to 10,000 words. This will be easier for me too as I find shorter things easier to write.
I think I'm just going to write a 'stream of consciousness' thing of indeterminate length over the next two weeks and then send it to them going 'aaaakk - what do I do now'. They'll be able to help me identify where to split my ideas up into different projects and what things need more work.
So the provisional essay will just be a way of getting all my ideas down on paper while they're still buzzing around my head, and I'll structure it after that.

Both my undergrad dissertation and thesis weren't very good. I had much higher marks on everything else. I think the problem is that I'm very used to short essay writing. All my skills are based around that. I now need to learn a whole new way of working. And I need to get lazy. For short essays you can rely on rhetoric more, whereas now I'll need to get into the habit of careful, methodical thorough demonstration of my ideas, which I don't think I've adequately learnt yet.

Yep, the rhetoric thing was a big adjustment for me too, as my success up till that point was mostly based on writing short, highly stylised essays full of rhetorical flourishes. That said, there's obviously no need to throw the baby out with the bathwater, as long as the balance between method and style is healthy. Your stream-of-consiousness idea is good - I did something very similar as my first piece of 'proper' writing. I didn't use it in the end, but it helped me see which direction to take much more clearly, and to filter the important topics from the fluff.

Original post by Becca
I have never seen that clip before, it's brilliant. Will your fiancé be doing the same thing Larry does with his glasses? :rofl:

Almost certainly :biggrin:

Original post by Craghyrax
Hope you don't mind me fixing that alba. Neither the link nor the embedding worked for me. You need to use the code at the end of the link between the two
tags. You don't include the http://www.youtube.com bit.

Not at all, thanks. I'm still not sure I understand what I did wrong though - so posting the link between the
tags isn't enough?
Yep, the rhetoric thing was a big adjustment for me too, as my success up till that point was mostly based on writing short, highly stylised essays full of rhetorical flourishes. That said, there's obviously no need to throw the baby out with the bathwater, as long as the balance between method and style is healthy. Your stream-of-consiousness idea is good - I did something very similar as my first piece of 'proper' writing. I didn't use it in the end, but it helped me see which direction to take much more clearly, and to filter the important topics from the fluff.
Yes that's pretty much the idea. The chapters themselves would probably still need to be written from scratch after this essay, but hopefully the ideas and arguments would be developed and refined in the essay before being applied.

I forgot to answer your question about methods and field work. I don't know how it works in English, but its quite seperate in this sort of thing. The stuff I'm doing this year isn't methodological at all. I'll start fieldwork next year, and the methodology and results chapters will be very different to the theoretical, literature based thing I'm doing now. Only the 'discussion and conclusion' will mix the two together.

Not at all, thanks. I'm still not sure I understand what I did wrong though - so posting the link between the
tags isn't enough?

If you click 'edit' on your own post, you'll see what it is I changed about it. Essentially only the last section of the link, the code for that particular clip, gets used. Not the whole link.
Reply 35
Danke, the_alba.

Working in a prison is more like a school than I imagined, except the students want to go to certain classes because it is easier for them to deal drugs! What an amazingly fun day I have had. :biggrin:
Reply 36

Yay! Hope it continues going well.

If you don't mind me asking, what will your plans be if he is offered the job and accepts it? To also look for something in academia in the same city?
Reply 37
Yay for new thread.

Greetings from a very cold (but still dusty) Iraq :biggrin:
Reply 38
Original post by Cirsium
Have arranged a meeting to talk to super tomorrow morning. Am now painstakingly making tables and **** so I have on paper exactly everything I know, to explain why I'm doing what I am doing and cover every base I can think of.

And once I'm done invigilating I am going to use my Costa points to buy an unnecessarily large hot chocolate :colone:

PRSOM

Hope you're ok!
I used a slightly different image because I could get it in hi res, which works better for clone brushing:

I'll give the other one a go in a minute, though :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending