Sunlight on the Grass & Moonlight on the Tides Revision Notes SHARE*

Watch
Tweaky
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hey this thread is for people to share the revision notes for the stories in the AQA anthology ' Sunligh on the Grass'

Here are some notes for 'Compass and Torch' that I've typed up - Please add to this as it will help us all. Also you can put up Moonlight on the tides poetry notes as well.

Compass and Torch

Possible meaning of the 'Compass' and 'Torch':

Compass:

- Device for finding you way
- They don't have the compass - Can't find a way to work their relationships out

Torch:

- The torch could signify that they can 'see' how they want their relationship to be but because they do not have the compass they can't get their.

Other Notes

' with bleached end-of-summer grass, bruised here and there with heather and age-old spills of purple granite' Very descriptive but the boy doesn't take notice of it. (Boys detachment from nature occurs throughout.)

- Is the detachment from nature because of a troubled family life? (Mum and dad divorcing,arguing) or is it just because he is interested in his dad?

'He is watching the man' - Trying to understand how a father behaves, what a father is.
Dad is introduced as 'Man'; 'He is watching the man: the way he strides to the gate' - Shows that the the relationship between father and son is not 'close'.

However changed to dad in 'The boy is intent. Watching Dad' - Veering from the 'man' to 'dad' - The boy is unsure.

'The boy misses a breath' - When dad almost gets something wrong the boy is worried - Hero-worshipping, Idolising Dad, Trying to believe that he is this 'perfect' human and that his mum is wrong about him.

'I brought my torch!' - The boy seeks appreciation from his Dad (hero)

'Mad, was calling it, as e knew she would' - Very common for children to be caught up in disputes between divorced parents. To constantly here contradicting views on events/actions that involve children etc.

- ' I found my torch' - Torch is mentioned a lot through out - Boy possibly finds comfort in the torch.

'Forced himself to put the torch into Jim's...hand' - The torch is reserved for dad? Only him and his dad can really experience the torch'

'Oh, says dad, good 'good' - Referring to torch - Dad is distracted through out. Takes little notice of the boy ( Some people have said it's because the dad is nasty) - I think the dad is concerned on making the experience so perfect that he is ignoring/distracted from his son. You can want something so much that you end up ruining it.

'Seared by the flitter of anxiety in the boys eyes' - Dad is nervous, has forgotten how he should react or possibly is embarrassed that he hasn't been their for his son - Can't get over it.

'As a warrior might carry his sword' - Dad is a 'warrior', again hero-worshipping.
'Neither man nor boy take much notice of the horse.' It is extremely unusual for an 8 year old boy not to be fascinated by a horse, or even not show attention to it. This highlights dads coldness towards emotions - And possibly that the son may become cold like his father.

'Ancient Rocks glint like heaving carcasses asleep' - 'Carcasses' and 'ancient rocks' could refer to buried memories and things left unsaid.
'In which he and his father will be two men' Again Idolisation. Wanting to be a 'man' like his dad.
'shoulders slumped and the tent in his hand dropped back onto the boot floor' Dad shows that he has messed up - Highlights the fact that dad is trying to make the trip perfect. - Son is only worried because his dad is.

lines 103 -119 - Quite a depressing recount of when dad meets Jim. 'Jim also- horribly - felt sorry for dad' Is quite strong in the way that it makes you empathise with dad.

Referring to the boy getting his arm through the bag - 'The man notices this, and it makes his chest twist' - Dad/Man showing some emotion - 'chest twist' - An acute sense of love.

line 131- 134 - Possibly ideas for what the horse represents

Horse represents the child being 'pushed away' constantly by his dad. Every attempt to be noticed is unintentionally or intentionally ignored?
The horse could represent the mother - Nosing about, watching, seeing how the trip is going - That's why dad doesn't want her there. The horse, like mum, mocks dad with her 'bright-red arse'

These aren't all the notes - I'll put more stuff about meaning of the horses etc. when i've typed them up.
Sapien
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I did this exam last year and have tonnes of notes on it! I'll see if I can dig up my anthology.
Tweaky
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sapien)
I did this exam last year and have tonnes of notes on it! I'll see if I can dig up my anthology.
Ah cheers man. Are they the same poems? - Your notes would be appreciated/
Sapien
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Tweaky)
Ah cheers man. Are they the same poems? - Your notes would be appreciated/
I'm doing the poem one now - I've got the notes for the prose one. I'll write them up for you tomorrow if I can!
Tweaky
Rep:
?
I'm doing the poem one now - I've got the notes for the prose one. I'll write them up for you tomorrow if I can!
Sweet man - Cheers - I'll updates as I go along and I'll add some poems on soon as well.
Sapien
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
See attached for the notes!

Sorry in advance for the PDFs very low quality but I needed to compress the size to be able to load it up onto here! That being said, I can send you the higher resolution ones if required through e-mail.

Oh, and sorry for my handwriting!

Take care and best of luck!
Attached files
Nandini0102
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
hi can u send me the notes by email please
to this email please
[Removed - please use PMs or post here]
anon_69
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Can you please send me the higher resolution version because although i can barely see everything, it's been of great help. The e-mail address is [Removed - please use PMs or post here]
anon_69
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Can you send me the notes please??
Ms4evaloyal
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
can someone plz put up any annotations or notes on sunlight on the grass and on to kill a mockingbird ??????
07a14783
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Can u send me the notes by email please to this email address [Removed - please use PMs or post here]
Sapien
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by anon_69)
Can you send me the notes please??

(Original post by 07a14783)
Can u send me the notes by email please to this email address [Removed - please use PMs or post here]
PM me your emails
Hollie-
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

Sorry in advance for the PDFs very low quality but I needed to compress the size to be able to load it up onto here! That being said, I can send you the higher resolution ones if required through e-mail.

can you please send me the notes via email, would be really appreciated! I'll PM you my email
akizdbest
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Um is it okay if you send me the high quality notes becuase i really can't understand your handwriting

email: [Mod edit: Email address removed. Please use PM's]

cheers
pater001
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

hi can you please email me these notes, thank you
Gappy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

Hi

My son is due to take his exam next Tues and we have had very little time to prepare (long story!). I've had a look at your notes, which look great. Could you possibly email them to me, so I can print them? I would be soooooo grateful!! My email address is [email protected].

THANKS!!
molluber
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
hi guys!
i found poems super tricky but i found this website were you they have annotations of the poems and themes, imagery, structure and etc for 'Moon on the Tides'

http://www.northwalshamhigh.norfolk....t%20Poetry.pdf

good luck with your exams guys!
Sapien
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
For the poetry exam, check this (same resources that molluber kindly posted but with all sections) and this(only character and voice) out. They are fantastic.

(Original post by pater001)
hi can you please email me these notes, thank you
PM me your email
Dhriti1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
THANK YOU SO MUCH for your compass and torch notes they were amazing and i chose that question on the exam
m121
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

Thank you so much, I had the exam today and your compass and torch notes were so helpful! :3
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (28)
26.92%
No (76)
73.08%

Watched Threads