The Student Room Group

Don't know where to study Computer Science?

I'm currently in Y12, studying Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Electronics, and am achieving ABB/AAB (no FM grade yet), but I think I can achieve A*AA.

I want to study Computer Science at University, but I don't really know where. I know I want to go to Cambridge as my first option, but what of my other 3?
I live near Durham, but would like to live away from home if possible.
I am looking at Imperial, but don't know too much about it. I was also looking at Edinburgh, but looking at it's recent plunge in the league tables, I don't fancy it as much now.
Anyone studying Comp Sci? Where at, and how are you finding it?

Thanks
(edited 12 years ago)
Maybe have a look at Bristol and Southampton?
York do a great course for lower grade requirements (because they interview) so possibly a good one for 'fall back' or whatever. My mate's applying this year he prefers York to Cambridge, Southampton, Bristol and Edinburgh, so it must be pretty good :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by pratstercs
I'm currently in Y12, studying Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Electronics, and am achieving ABB/AAB (no FM grade yet), but I think I can achieve A*AA.

I want to study Computer Science at University, but I don't really know where. I know I want to go to Cambridge as my first option, but what of my other 3?
I live near Durham, but would like to live away from home if possible.
I am looking at Imperial, but don't know too much about it. I was also looking at Edinburgh, but looking at it's recent plunge in the league tables, I don't fancy it as much now.
Anyone studying Comp Sci? Where at, and how are you finding it?

Thanks

What.. don't go to a uni based on where it is in the league tables. The University of Edinburgh is a really good uni and I hate the way people apply for uni's based on how respectable they are, to be honest its more about the course you do and how much you put into it. Different universities offer slightly different variations of the course so apply to the ones you like the sound of and that most interest you. Also, have a look round at different universities, you have ages to decide, you should find out which university campus appeals to you the most as you'll be spending 3 years of your life there. Theres no point applying to a university high in the league tables if you don't like the campus and course variation that it offers, just because it is more 'respectable'
Edinburgh is still very good, league tables don't matter they all change once in a while anyway don't let it stop you from applying.
Imperial is good if you can get the grades/ fall-back for Cambridge.
King's College London also I have heard does a good CompSci course, Perhaps you many want to look at Reading, QMUL for fall-fall backs :wink: they want 300 Ucas points and they are good unis.
Edinburgh is great, forget league tables (I didnt know about them falling?) as it has a great reputation and always will regardless of where it is in league tables.

I think the ones you should be aiming for are Bristol, Bath, Cambridge, Durham, Edinburgh, Imperial, St. Andrews, UCL, Warwick, York, etc.
I think those are pretty much the best of the lot for CS in the UK. When I was choosing I made a shortlist of about 20 places and did some research to eliminate as many as possible until I had 4 choices which I was happy with, I then looked for an insurance choice and that was it. When doing your research make sure you consider where it is, i.e. what the city is like. I ended up at Durham because I loved the city more than any of my other choices, it was a tough decision when I had to choose between Bath and Durham though.
Having looked at a lot of unis for comp sci, i liked Lancaster the best - they have a really great department and offers aren't that high (Mine is ABB including gen studies)
Take a look! :smile:
Oh, and the Bath course is very mathmatics based if you are into that
Reply 7
What I think I'm going to do is:
1. Cambridge
2. St. Andrews
3. York
4. Edinburgh

Anyone go to any of these? What do you think?
Reply 8
I would recommend Bath and York. Both offer a placement.

Are you applying for a course with placement?

For York, they don't offer plain CS for MEng, whilst Bath offer plain CS for MComp. Both 5 years with placement.

York offers more variations for MEng compared to Bath.

Also, York seems to have more options for 3rd and 4th year.

For Bath, there are less options to choose from for 3rd and 4th year. You choose between Stream 1 (Human computer interaction and media technology) or Stream 2 (Mathematical logic, symbolic computation, agents and artificial intelligence) for your 3rd and 4th year.

If your interested in A.I, then York would be the better option I think, since they have a CS with AI course.

It seems that you also discounted Bath and chosen York. Bath has a higher entry requirement then York. AAA or A*AB compared to AAB.

Also, from looking at the websites, it seems that Bath has the better looking accommodation.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest