The Student Room Group

Getting up for 9am lectures

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
9am's are the bane of my life :frown: working in a pub where you don't get out til 1 or 2ish coupled with a 9am means I always oversleep. I find it so difficult to switch off after work it takes me hours to unwind, so I'm never asleep before 4/5am.

I alternate the alarm sound on my phone at ten minute intervals, but I still manage to sleep through :rolleyes:
I'm also quite puzzled with how I managed to wake up at 7am for primary and secondary school and now for uni I struggle big time. It's not even when I've had long nights or a hard day requiring more sleep, I just find it difficult to wake up that early even if I've had a relaxing day with a long night's sleep.

There have been times when the alarm goes off and I think screw it I'll just sleep and not go in. Then when I do wake up that lovely sleep is tainted with the guilt of having missed lectures.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 22
9am lectures 6 days in a row monday-saturday. **** yeah.....:frown:
Original post by buchanan700
I'm on placement, which means I have to get up by 6:15 to leave at 7:15. Everyday. I finish at about 430/5. Everyday. With about a half an hour break. Everyday.

Beat that suckahs...

That's fine though, you just get into a routine. It's having one 9 am lecture and the rest 2pm that screws with me -.-
Reply 24
Original post by iSMark
It's just not the same though. When you're at uni your sleeping pattern is generally screwed up due to late night studying/drinking/whatever. Then when 9am comes around it's a shock.

When you're at work you're in a routine.

This, when I worked I was so exhausted by the end of the day that I slept
like a baby and always felt fresh in the morning.
Reply 25
In my first year, most of my lectures were held 8am which was a pain in the neck since i always slept late...but my lectures are now at 9am which is a luxury for me. I wake up around 7am, that leaves me 1hr 30mins to prepare. I leave for lectures 8:30 and get to class 'on time' :biggrin:
Last semester, I had three 9am lectures. See, I always planned to go to bed early in preparation but halls are so noisy, I wouldn't get to sleep until 4 :mad:. Now, I don't have lectures until after 12...bliss.
Original post by Station

Pay someone to record it for you :wink:
Original post by jsd26
I have an alarm on for 8.00, 8.05, 8.10, 8.15 etc until i wake up

Same, but I'm such a slow riser in the mornings that by the end of last semester, I needed to set my alarm for 2 hours before I needed to be at a lecture, and that often meant 7am for a 9am lecture even though I didn't go to bed til 2.30ish (which is my limit on a uni night - weekends can be whatever) and it doesn't usually affect me too bad. If I need to catch up on sleep I would do it just before cooking evening meal.
In my three years at university I have picked my modules around their starting times. I am in my final year now and have never had to attend a single 0930 lecture.
I struggle to get up for them, but I'm a lot better at it than I used to be, I haven't missed a 9AM for a while.
What puzzles me most is that I never had that much trouble getting up for work or school before, I guess it's the fact that if I don't go to lectures nobody will notice :tongue:
I don't know how you people manage! I have one 9am lecture for the first 5 weeks of each semester and i'll be perfectly honest, i've never been to it. Fortunately it's for a module that is basically a repeat of what i covered at AS level.

I have enough difficulties making it in for 11am, which i really don't understand as i had no issues getting in for 9/10 at college :/
Reply 32
All my lectures are 9am and I commute from Manchester to Liverpool by train which means I have to be up at 5am.
9am lecturers havent seen my face since end of november.
And im usually sleeping at the back.

Feels as if im paying for a degree im unconcious through.
Reply 34
I had 8am seminars. Not very nice.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 35
I can hardly say I enjoy 9am starts, but since I'm now subjected to 4 of them a week there's not really any choice but to get used to them.. I've found I've actively had to get in to a routine of being in bed by midnight and waking up by about 9.30 every day of the week just to adjust my body to it though :s-smilie: Which probably isn't the worst thing to be fair. Besides, it's kind of nice to be up and about, it means I'm done in uni by about 1 and then have all afternoon to go the gym or the library and get **** done. PRODUCTIVITY!
I leave my phone on the other side of the room so i have to get up to turn the alarm off, but most times i just think **** it and go back to sleep with the alarm on
Set alarm for 6. Go on laptop lying in bed for about an hour. You get bored and, hopefully, get up.
Reply 38
Get used to it. Won't be able to do so when you join the rat race.

It takes about 3 days of waking up at the same time to get into a cycle, then it gets easier by the day.

I slept 2-6 last night. :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by oh-my-diddy
for 9am lectures, i would need to get up at 5.45am.................................that's why i don't.

why? :lolwut:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending