The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Depression Society MKVI

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rmhumphries
Listen to Sherlock - you can have shaky hands from drinking too much too often :tongue:

Do your hands stop shaking when you are holding something?

If not: Get paper, get pen, hold pen still on paper. Wobbly hands move pen, you can tell how wobbly by the pattern.

If they do, buy a high-frame-per-minute camera, record hands, and analysis each frame? :tongue:

Nah, usually they start shaking when I'm holding something. But not when I have something to rest my hand against, so I'm not sure if the pen thing would work.

Hmm, this sounds like a practical solution. Do you think I could get the camera on the NHS? :tongue:
Reply 181
I know I keep posting (so bored) but now I have a question.

Wtf is a physical exam and why do I have to have one? :afraid:
Original post by Nut.
I know I keep posting (so bored) but now I have a question.

Wtf is a physical exam and why do I have to have one? :afraid:

Just standard procedure for being admitted to hospital. As far as I remember it was nothing horrific - just taking your heart rate/blood pressure etc. and asking you some questions. :smile:
Hi, I just wanted to post here because I am wondering, what does depression actually feel like? As in what is the difference between depression and just feeling 'down'?
Reply 184
Original post by superwolf
Just standard procedure for being admitted to hospital. As far as I remember it was nothing horrific - just taking your heart rate/blood pressure etc. and asking you some questions. :smile:

oh good, I was imagining darker things than that, thanks.
Feeling spaaaaaaaaaaaaced. But who needs food when you can have more coffee? :tongue:
I am fed up with my life, uni, everything.

I was reminded today in my seminar class that I am crap at stats and as such very likely to fail my degree, spent the entire time feeling ****ter than I did this afternoon.
Reply 187
hey guys... has anyone spoke to VV since she last posted? im a bit worried about her :frown: does anyone speak to her on msn or email or anything?? her last few posts have made me concerned, and she's usually quite a regular poster on TSR. i keep checking to see if she's popped back but it's been days now :frown:

edit: wtf neg?!
(edited 12 years ago)
Nah, usually they start shaking when I'm holding something. But not when I have something to rest my hand against, so I'm not sure if the pen thing would work.

Hmm, this sounds like a practical solution. Do you think I could get the camera on the NHS? :tongue:

Hmm, might be worth trying the pen solution, the trick is to have the pen lightly on the paper, your fountain pen should work well, so that the pressure from the table doesn't change the shaking.

Apply for a camera on DSA? :tongue:

Original post by Nut.
oh good, I was imagining darker things than that, thanks.

If you want a darker physical exam, then I am sure certain dep soc members can help you out :colone:
Original post by popple7
hey guys... has anyone spoke to VV since she last posted? im a bit worried about her :frown: does anyone speak to her on msn or email or anything?? her last few posts have made me concerned, and she's usually quite a regular poster on TSR. i keep checking to see if she's popped back but it's been days now :frown:

Unfortunately, none of us have been able to contact her yet either, although various of us keep trying. (Laut has her phone number and so on.)
Didn't know there was a new thread!

I hope someone can get in contact with VV, was PM-ing her a while ago and looking at the last post she made is worrying me too. Fingers crossed someone can get hold of her.

-------

Feel like CBT is not working for me. I don't feel comfortable with any kind of talking therapy and I just feel like it's not going anywhere. I've tried not to be sceptical but after 5 weeks of trying, I just don't feel like I'm getting anything out of it :s-smilie:

Stupid BF worries are back, cannot stop thinking about how crappy he made me feel for the first year of our relationship, wish I could go back and slap myself to have a little more respect for myself and say something. Also just found this on TSR posted 6 months into our relationship, about a week before he said he "loves" me -
"All the girls I've been with have been very different but I guess the next girl would hopefully be one I could settle down with having got my own place and career.".
So, the next girl? I didn't exist, but he was looking for "the next girl"? **** this, always second best, no matter how hard I try.
Reply 191
Original post by rmhumphries
Unfortunately, none of us have been able to contact her yet either, although various of us keep trying. (Laut has her phone number and so on.)

that's not what i wanted to hear. i hope she's ok :frown: hope she's just taking some time out for a bit and getting her head together.
But I wanted that one! :bawling:

:console: We can share then.

Original post by Anonymous
It's not stupid whatsoever, I imagine I'd feel exactly the same. The day my science teacher gave the letter to nurture lady I didn't eat. I imagine it's a similar situation :hugs:
Good luck with seeing the plan to catch up, hope it all goes well.
No need to apologise, it's fine :smile:

Spoiler

Yeah I guess, think it's just because I'm already repeating the year after being unwell last year, don't want it to sound like another excuse. Bleugh life sucks. :tongue:
Just did a the first question of a problem sheet that I was given today, didn't expect it to take so long, but that was probably because I spent ages expanding out a quartic equation before seeing the little trick that made it unnecessary. This other module that I was trying to do the problem sheet for yesterday is just a nightmare, I can't even see how the questions are related to the notes. Suppose to give work for that one in on Monday to be marked. Want to keep up with this semesters work at least, but I just don't see how I'm going to get that one done. Wish I wasn't a social hermit and actually spoke to anyone in that module so I could at least find out it's just me who is clueless.

Spoiler

Original post by Hanvyj
Do you have to disclose depression to employers?

My wife recently applied to a care job and they liked her CV etc, invited her to look arround and made her fill in some forms. She was worried because they had a "medical" section asking about what medication you took and whether you suffered from any disabilities. Anyway, they never contacted her. We thought it was strange that they would invite someone arround for a visit but not an interview, given that the only new info they had was about her disability...

Anyway she was really upset with it, my question is - is it legal for an employer to require details like that? She doesn't like telling anyone, took her years to tell her parents - and they treated her differently when she did...

I'm not sure about the law on this, though I've been told that if you apply for a job where you have to care for people that you might have to disclose mental health and stuff like that. I think you have to investigate this.

But the thing is, with disability, usually it's better when an employee knows so that they can accomodate the person I think.

I'm sorry to hear about what happened to your wife. If it was me I just wouldn't disclose anything, but then again apparently it's better to disclose, but then some employers might discriminate. It's a difficult situation.

:hugs:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous

Yeah I guess, think it's just because I'm already repeating the year after being unwell last year, don't want it to sound like another excuse. Bleugh life sucks. :tongue:
Just did a the first question of a problem sheet that I was given today, didn't expect it to take so long, but that was probably because I spent ages expanding out a quartic equation before seeing the little trick that made it unnecessary. This other module that I was trying to do the problem sheet for yesterday is just a nightmare, I can't even see how the questions are related to the notes. Suppose to give work for that one in on Monday to be marked. Want to keep up with this semesters work at least, but I just don't see how I'm going to get that one done. Wish I wasn't a social hermit and actually spoke to anyone in that module so I could at least find out it's just me who is clueless.

Spoiler

Don't forget, you're doing a degree. I'm sure they're supposed to challenge you so you won't get everything right first time. Try not to worry about it too much, I'm almost certain there are people who are struggling with the work too. :hugs:

Spoiler

Hi all,

I just wanted to update you about ViceVersa as I know some of you are worried about her. She is having a tough time at the moment but we have heard that she is safe. Hopefully she will be back and posting again soon.
Reply 196
Does anyone have any advice at all on how to get someone to stop ignoring you? I have no ideas left, and like, I don't want a conversation or anything big, I just want to be sent something. That is all, it's not much and yet... I don't know. I haven't even actually done anything, just asked for it to be sent and then apparently, that's enough to cause all.. this.

Yay passive agressive post. Sigh.
Original post by Hanvyj
Do you have to disclose depression to employers?

My wife recently applied to a care job and they liked her CV etc, invited her to look arround and made her fill in some forms. She was worried because they had a "medical" section asking about what medication you took and whether you suffered from any disabilities. Anyway, they never contacted her. We thought it was strange that they would invite someone arround for a visit but not an interview, given that the only new info they had was about her disability...

Anyway she was really upset with it, my question is - is it legal for an employer to require details like that? She doesn't like telling anyone, took her years to tell her parents - and they treated her differently when she did...

Hi there :smile:

I personally don't disclose it at all - I only disclosed it to my last employer as I didn't turn up to a few shifts as I was in hospital following a suicide attempt. Generally I don't expect compensations like time off for doctors/psych appointments or allowance for being late etc as I don't give them the reason. I also just put prefer not to say if I have to put anything down. It's better to tell them in person I think.

As for whether or not your wife was turned down because of this - it's hard to tell, if they did turn her down because of that it's discrimination and she could take it further, however the job would be proving that she would've got the job if she hadn't said anything. Has she asked them?
Original post by ZZ9
Does anyone have any advice at all on how to get someone to stop ignoring you? I have no ideas left, and like, I don't want a conversation or anything big, I just want to be sent something. That is all, it's not much and yet... I don't know. I haven't even actually done anything, just asked for it to be sent and then apparently, that's enough to cause all.. this.

Yay passive agressive post. Sigh.

Is this a friend you're talking about, or someone else?

I'm a bit like this too, I get quite panicky when I feel like I'm being ignored, so I just ask it straight out because I can't stand any form of tension. I don't know if I'm interpreting your situation correctly, but sometimes it better to just ask straight out.
I don't smoke. Someone remind me why I'm smoking.

Latest