The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Depression Society MKVI

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7840
Original post by Chrisofsmeg
Awesome is one letter short. You know exactly what I was trying to say :tongue:

I buy in bulk. £68 for 200 equates to £6.80 a pack. As opposed to the £8.50 they cost since the budget per pack (George Osbourne is a bastard).

Holiday is another thing I'm quite looking forward to.

I don't really want to bother him at the moment. Bit irritated with him so I'll just send a bitchy, passive-agressive text if I do it now lol - best to wait a bit, either until he decides to call/text me or whenever I'm a bit more mellow, either will do!

Trouble is, if I buy more at once, I smoke more often, so I can't win!

Ah, yeah might be best to leave it then. :tongue:
Reply 7841
Original post by superwolf

Ooh, another Manchester student? :five: What do you study (I do Russian :russia:)?

Yeah, I thought I'd have similar problems going to the GP, but it's actually pretty easy once you can mentally get over the idea. I find it helps to just stop thinking of them as a person and just as a magical machine that dispenses drugs and referrals, and not to give a crap about what they might think of me. :tongue: A lot of people also find it helpful to write down what they want to say, and then either refer to that or just hand it over to the doctor to read. Remember you're already managing to reach out and get help, so you are capable of doing this. :smile:

Yeah, the disabilities office are lovely (went there today in fact, ended up crying :colondollar: but they were great about it). You can just show up without an appointment if you want, or email/phone in advance. There's nothing to be ashamed about in getting help - in fact it shows a lot more maturity than just hiding and ignoring the problem (something I've excelled at for years...).

Ooh, I'm second year biomed, but I did Russian A level :biggrin: I've been there 3 times, have you been yet?

I'm gonna make an appointment to see the GP again and see what happens, then go to the disabilities office I think. Don't actually know where it is though :colondollar: haha

Thanks for replying, I think it's really lovely how you take the time to reply to everyone :smile:

Original post by Sabertooth

Yeah, that's what I'm worried about, I'm gonna stress out and it's going to make my depression/psychosis many times worse. At undergrad I got extensions and still ended up in hospital having tried to do all my revision for exams and assessed essays, I really don't want to repeat that. But then on the other hand there's this feeling like I'm just clearly too dumb to do uni if I can't even keep up. :frown:

You should definitely try and get it sorted out, I wouldn't have been able to do my undergrad degree without all the extensions and allowances they made me, so I would definitely advise you to take any help you can get. Now if only I could apply that to myself now :tongue:

I'm starting to loathe mondays. I have sports practice in the evening and have to get the train there and every week, every ****ing week without fail, I spend the entire day worrying about it - and I have NO IDEA why!!!! I love playing, it's the highlight of my week but I can't help this massive crushing anxiety I get every week beforehand. Wtf is wrong with me? :banghead:

Ohh, you're clearly not too dumb to do uni or you wouldn't have got in or got this far :smile: I keep having to tell myself that cos I feel exactly the same... :s-smilie: haha

Yeah, I'm going to the GP and hopefully gonna get everything sorted, hope everything goes well with you too :smile:

Do you mean you worry about sports practice or the train journey? I always panic about little things, like going to the shops by myself, or crossing roads or changing trains. I used to be really bad but it's got better as I've got older, uni forced me to have to deal with it. Just concentrate on how much you enjoy sports when you're there, or try to distract yourself before you go. I find something I learnt from Friends helps me... When Monica and Chandler are getting married, and Chandler is freaking out, Ross tells him to do things one step at a time. So on a day when I have to do something I panic about I'm just like 'okay, so I'll shower now... Now I'll get dressed... Do my hair... etc'. Kind of distracts me for what I have to do that I don't want to because I'm just concentrating on the thing that I'm doing then. I've no idea if that's any help to you, probably not :colondollar:
Original post by Nut.
Trouble is, if I buy more at once, I smoke more often, so I can't win!

Ah, yeah might be best to leave it then. :tongue:

Aye, my thoughts exactly, will leave it be until I'm less dissatisfied with my life! :tongue:

True - I think I've learnt how to pace myself, however. Until then end of April I have 100 embassy and 25g of gold leaf. I could by more, but I'm fairly certain I wont have to buy anymore until early May. I've only had 8 today. That being said, these next two weeks are not going to be fun, so that estimate may be a little off, because as I've already said, this is a horrible time of year for me.

Perhaps I should hold off on my judgement until after this month and probably after the exams as well. If I'm smoking too much at the end of June I'll try and quit, or at least cut down. I like my lungs.
Reply 7843
Original post by angelbones
:hugs:
Just one more year and you can be out if you want, hun. Once you're 18 you can legally leave home if you want.
Don't kill yourself to 'teach them a lesson'. It honestly isn't worth it.

Original post by laut_biru
Wow.. that's an arbitrary rule if ever I heard one.

How old is your brother? Sounds like a case of youngest child is an angel simply cos they were born last.

Refusing food and drink is only going to punish you :hugs:

Thanks for your replies both of you :jumphug:

I've finally eaten, after my mum came into my room and asked me if I wanted to eat. This was about 30 mins ago.

Yeah my brother has always got away with stuff more than me. I don't know why they love him so much.

I don't know what happens to me. One second I can't stop laughing, and the next I'm huddled up in bed in a bad mood. And I can't concentrate at home at all on my work. I really don't want to fail. But I act as if I don't care. I also don't understand why I want a girlfriend so much :colondollar:.
Original post by avhhs
Thanks for your replies both of you :jumphug:

I've finally eaten, after my mum came into my room and asked me if I wanted to eat. This was about 30 mins ago.

Yeah my brother has always got away with stuff more than me. I don't know why they love him so much.

I don't know what happens to me. One second I can't stop laughing, and the next I'm huddled up in bed in a bad mood. And I can't concentrate at home at all on my work. I really don't want to fail. But I act as if I don't care. I also don't understand why I want a girlfriend so much :colondollar:.

:hugs: I'm glad you've eaten now.

I think it can be a lot easier being the younger sibling, your parents relax a little. But then, I'm an only child so I am just guessing from what I've seen with my friends.

I can't concentrate on anything at the moment either. I have two assignments in in the next week and neither are finished (I haven't actually even started one :colondollar:)
Seeing the GP tomorrow morning about my depression. It's been 2 years though since I went to them about it, so I'm slightly worried at about her reaction at me dragging this thing on for so long :colondollar:
Reply 7846
Original post by Meaty_man
From what you've said, it sounds like your mum knows you like your space and leaves you to your own devices, at least that's what im assuming.

You'd be surprised how much people can tell about you, without you noticing. Apparently my mum realised that after i started to go on meds that i seem a lot calmer, less fidgety and more relaxed. I've also been surprised how easily friends can tell when im feeling ill or down, even when im tryin to hide it.

Since your mum arranged that appointment with the doc, again, it shows she cares for you at least to a degree. I imagine she's worried, and wants peace of mind to either know if you have got some kind of depression or if you're just going through a rough spell.

If you wouldn't mind sharing, why do you have a bad relationship with your mum? Might help me understand a bit more so i can try and help :smile:

I dunno, i guess it started a few years ago when she started child minding her friends kids, they are all under 6 now but I guess I was kinda jealous at first of all the attention she was giving them and she wouldn't really give a crap of anything i achieved. As i got older i learned not to care any more, cos she was the one that was pushing me away and making fun of me and calling me stupid. I'm not gonna lie, it does hurt when you hear you own mother talking like that about you and its not like i can talk to my dad, cos all he cares about is work. He only talks to me if he needs me to pass him the remote or the salt. To have her caring now is a bit weird and i think there might be something going on with her, but im not sure.
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
Seeing the GP tomorrow morning about my depression. It's been 2 years though since I went to them about it, so I'm slightly worried at about her reaction at me dragging this thing on for so long :colondollar:

I would imagine the reaction will be thoroughly professional....
Reply 7848
:hugs: I'm glad you've eaten now.

I think it can be a lot easier being the younger sibling, your parents relax a little. But then, I'm an only child so I am just guessing from what I've seen with my friends.

I can't concentrate on anything at the moment either. I have two assignments in in the next week and neither are finished (I haven't actually even started one :colondollar:)

I'd rather I was the only child :tongue:. I don't like sharing things. And you don't get problems with parents favouring one sibling :biggrin:.

:jumphug: I know exactly how you feel. I have missed so much work. Everyone else has done a lot of work over the holidays but I haven't and I'm behind now :frown:. Also I can't concentrate at all on homework, and I always miss them and get into trouble. I really don't want to fail.
Original post by paddy__power
I would imagine the reaction will be thoroughly professional....

True. But would she be thinking me a bit strange and silly for dragging it so long? Or would she just understand this alone as another sign of depression?
Original post by drbluebox
Oh no, have to be up early tommorow for a job interview(8am probably) yet my washing machine has broke with the washing still inside(washed but unable to be removed)

The machine just froze when spindrying and wont do anything.

things always go wrong when you don't want them to, I'm not going to be much help,you've probably tried this (try taking the plug out) last resort hit it :smile: good luck for tomorrow
Original post by avhhs
I'd rather I was the only child :tongue:. I don't like sharing things. And you don't get problems with parents favouring one sibling :biggrin:.

:jumphug: I know exactly how you feel. I have missed so much work. Everyone else has done a lot of work over the holidays but I haven't and I'm behind now :frown:. Also I can't concentrate at all on homework, and I always miss them and get into trouble. I really don't want to fail.

True, but you do get babied a lot :tongue: And it's pretty lonely growing up.

Hopefully as it gets closer to exams, you'll find it easier to revise. I'm waiting for my last-minute panic to kick in, and then maybe I'll be able to write more than one paragraph at a time. Haha! Not the best way of doing things, but thankfully this first year of uni doesn't count... :erm:

I'm so tiiiired. I said I would have an early night tonight, hahahaa.

Good luck, honey! :hugs:
Good luck, honey! :hugs:

Original post by superwolf

:hugs: Stress is always a problem when you're mentally ill. Do you have anyone else who can support you apart from your boyfriend? Unis usually have a counselling service and disabilities office, both of which could help you to get through this time and maybe teach you some skills to help you organise your studying so as to make it less stressful. You can also talk to us whenever you need somewhere to unburden yourself. :smile:

Thanks for replying, appreciate being listened to :smile: I do have my friends but I feel like I don't want to bore them or not be fun around them so I don't let on how much I'm hurting. People have been quite nasty to me today and I've taken it harder than usual because of how bad I feel right now; I'm so panicky I have a constant tremble at the moment and seem to have up to 5 panic attacks a day :frown: I want to go to sleep but I'm just sat here at the verge of tears feeling panic rising again and feeling so incredibly alone. I don't know who to turn to anymore, sometimes I get scared of feeling like this.
Reply 7855
True, but you do get babied a lot :tongue: And it's pretty lonely growing up.

Hopefully as it gets closer to exams, you'll find it easier to revise. I'm waiting for my last-minute panic to kick in, and then maybe I'll be able to write more than one paragraph at a time. Haha! Not the best way of doing things, but thankfully this first year of uni doesn't count... :erm:

I'm so tiiiired. I said I would have an early night tonight, hahahaa.

That's true though :tongue:

:hugs: That always happens to me. For example throughout the whole holidays I didn't bother with homework, and the day before I was to return to school, I panicked. I only really got the urge to do work once it was too late :erm:. I have a feeling that's how my revision will be :sadnod:.

Good night and sweet dreams! :jumphug: :tongue:
Original post by avhhs
That's true though :tongue:

:hugs: That always happens to me. For example throughout the whole holidays I didn't bother with homework, and the day before I was to return to school, I panicked. I only really got the urge to do work once it was too late :erm:. I have a feeling that's how my revision will be :sadnod:.

Good night and sweet dreams! :jumphug: :tongue:

Don't worry, I basically didn't revise for my A levels and still got into uni. :colondollar:
(NB: THIS IS BAD ADVICE, DO NOT TAKE IT, I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHY THEY LET ME IN BECAUSE MY GRADES WERE HORRIFIC!)

Go to bed? I'm not going to bed now, it's only midnight and I have another 6 episodes of Game of Thrones to watch :tongue:

x-Disenchanted-x
Thanks for replying, appreciate being listened to. I do have my friends but I feel like I don't want to bore them or not be fun around them so I don't let on how much I'm hurting. People have been quite nasty to me today and I've taken it harder than usual because of how bad I feel right now; I'm so panicky I have a constant tremble at the moment and seem to have up to 5 panic attacks a day I want to go to sleep but I'm just sat here at the verge of tears feeling panic rising again and feeling so incredibly alone. I don't know who to turn to anymore, sometimes I get scared of feeling like this.

:hugs:
I get what you mean about feeling like you're burdening your friends. But even just saying to them "I don't feel great at the moment" can help. They're your friends, they'll want to help you and look out for you. Like Superwolf said, your uni counselling service (and they should have one) can be really helpful to talk to.
If sleeping will help, go to bed. Being tired always makes things seem a bit bleaker!
How do you know if lack of interest and trouble studying is due to depression, or just genuine lack of interest and/or ability in the subject?

I find it so hard to tell!! :frown:
Reply 7858
How do you know if lack of interest and trouble studying is due to depression, or just genuine lack of interest and/or ability in the subject?

I find it so hard to tell!! :frown:

By seeing how well you study when you have periods of not being depressed.
Original post by Idle
By seeing how well you study when you have periods of not being depressed.

Oh, well in Year 11 I wasn't particularly depressed but I didn't get as good GCSE results as I wanted :sad:.

Ah, I'm a bit worried that seeing the GP might be a waste of time if it's only outside factors making me depressed :o:

Latest