The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Depression Society MKVI

Scroll to see replies

Some friends stayed over at my house last weekend and I feel like I should have enjoyed it, but the whole time I wanted to be alone and was counting down the hours until they left. I also felt like I was boring them and that they were disappointed with the whole experience.

Does anyone else get a strange comfort from being sad? Like I do hate being depressed, but sometimes I don't want to not be depressed because then I would have to do things that I don't want to. But then I only dread them because I'm depressed anyway...it's such a vicious circle.
Original post by Anonymous
Some friends stayed over at my house last weekend and I feel like I should have enjoyed it, but the whole time I wanted to be alone and was counting down the hours until they left. I also felt like I was boring them and that they were disappointed with the whole experience.

Does anyone else get a strange comfort from being sad? Like I do hate being depressed, but sometimes I don't want to not be depressed because then I would have to do things that I don't want to. But then I only dread them because I'm depressed anyway...it's such a vicious circle.

I can relate to both points, you're not alone and I'm sure they are both normal :hugs:

--------------

Usually spinning around on my chair until I'm red in the face takes my mind off things but not tonight :sigh:

I think we all feel like this sometimes. You go to see your friends to distract yourself from your depression and end up feeling jealous and annoyed about the fact that they're all having fun when all you want to do is sleep. It sucks.

Yes, but I think it's probably because I fear change. Feeling sad has been my life for a long time. I don't know who I am without it, really. Which is a scary thought.
Reply 9023
Don't know why in not in a very good mood :cry: . Just the usual thing about not having a social life :cry: . I know everyone finds me really boring. And my parents just don't realise what they've done. No one wants me :cry: :cry: It's really obvious. University cannot come quickly enough. I'm also worried I'm gonna end up in hospital soon, and my parents will have a field day :cry2: .

And when will this weather improve :mad: . It's absolutely pissing down here.

Hope everyone is having a far better time :jumphug: :h: . And an extra one just for Viceversa :jumphug: hope everything gets better for you soon :smile:
Original post by avhhs
Don't know why in not in a very good mood :cry: . Just the usual thing about not having a social life :cry: . I know everyone finds me really boring. And my parents just don't realise what they've done. No one wants me :cry: :cry: It's really obvious. University cannot come quickly enough. I'm also worried I'm gonna end up in hospital soon, and my parents will have a field day :cry2: .

Hope everyone is having a far better time :jumphug: :h: . And an extra one just for Viceversa :jumphug: hope everything gets better for you soon :smile:

I sympathise, if it helps. Depression scared away my tiny vestiges of social life, and I do miss it, having friends and stuff. I am so looking forward to uni; alas, another eighteen months. Hug?

And yes, it's been raining here for the past week.
Original post by avhhs

:console: don't really know what to say because feeling like complete and utter **** at the moment ... but we don't find you boring hun and thought a hug might help :hugs:
Reply 9026
Drunkenness :yy:

and i'm only half way there... watch out world

Wow. that took a long time to type
Original post by Nut.
Drunkenness :yy:

and i'm only half way there... watch out world

Wow. that took a long time to type

I may join you :P

****ing anon function it is so ****ing annoying!
sat in bed listening to the wind and rain against my window from outside, it's cold, it's quiet and im alone, far too much of my life I have been in this place. :sad:

was going to go to town today, but couldn't sleep last night so ended up sleeping all day in stead, woke up at 8pm, still too hungry as well so ate far too much now I feel bloated.

feeling really alienated today as well, nothing about the world and people and stuff makes any sense to me, everything just seems to be wrong, I feel like I shouldn't exist because my existing whilst everyone and everything else seems so different and strange to me for me to belong in this world.
Reply 9030
Original post by Libris Dedita
I sympathise, if it helps. Depression scared away my tiny vestiges of social life, and I do miss it, having friends and stuff. I am so looking forward to uni; alas, another eighteen months. Hug?

And yes, it's been raining here for the past week.

:hugs: I've never had a social life due to overprotective paranoid parents, and it was that, along with seeing how popular a then-new female friend was, that got me into depression. Even worse I've recently felt that I'm at my lowest point :cry2: . Uni is also in 18 months for me :tongue: :hugs: . Sometimes I have zero motivation for my AS Levels and just want to quit. Sometimes I also consider moving to another sixth form for my A2 year. But in the end, I need to remember that it is this hard work that will get me into university, and I don't want to be one of the few who get offers but not the final grades. That would be far more shameful than not getting any offers at all.

Make that a few weeks here :biggrin: :mad:

:jumphug:

Original post by Phoenix07
:console: don't really know what to say because feeling like complete and utter **** at the moment ... but we don't find you boring hun and thought a hug might help :hugs:

:hugs: Thank you so much :smile:. Hope you feel better soon too :console:

Both of you have helped cheer me up :jumphug:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by avhhs

Having no friends can be very emotionally hurtful at times. Honestly, I've just grown to accept it, just try and entertain yourself by reading or whatever hobby you enjoy. I'm feeling better than yesterday so I suppose it's easy for me to say now, (Just wait another hour and I'll change again :P )

Either way, I'm free to PM if you're overcome with drudgery.
For me my parents always believed in a "best to bottle your feelings up" philosophy.. so ever since a young age I haven't been allowed to get angry or cry much even though I've wanted to.. especially a few years ago when I had no friends/bullied just because "I was too ugly and quiet"
I have a lot of bottled feelings to be honest and consequently I am outwardly constantly happy.. but well I guess I'll always be kinda depressed really since I've never been able to let it out properly.. hmm it's hard to describe like a less obvious form of depression? Hm, it probably isn't the best for my emotional health but I wouldn't know plus I can't really see a way out ^-^;;
aha thought I could vent a tiny minuscule fraction here, but I'm not feeling any better :frown:
Original post by superwolf
x

It's really nice of you to write a reply to everyone.
My cold and sore throat are a bit better. My mood is really rubbish though. I can't relax at all.
Reply 9034
Hi all. :smile: Struggling today, but I've decided to go and see a counseller. I can see the root causes of my problem - regret - but I've been unable to move on. I would have thought time to rid me of those feelings, but now I struggle on a daily basis. I hate looking at people in the eye anymore - I can feel my face quiver. I can't put on a natural smile either. I also feel judged or soon enough that I'll be judged - it's as if there's no safety net. Part of my personality which doesn't help with my struggles is that I know I have conditions for happiness - getting a life partner, getting past Uni, etc. I hope visiting a counseller will begin to help me down a path where I don't feel on edge, and can be happy in day to day life.
Original post by avhhs
:hugs: Thank you so much :smile:. Hope you feel better soon too :console:

Both of you have helped cheer me up :jumphug:

:hugs: sorry I wasn't much help, really just exhausted and can't be bothered with everything at the moment ... but you know I am always around if you need to talk hun!
Reply 9036
Original post by AntisthenesDogger
Having no friends can be very emotionally hurtful at times. Honestly, I've just grown to accept it, just try and entertain yourself by reading or whatever hobby you enjoy. I'm feeling better than yesterday so I suppose it's easy for me to say now, (Just wait another hour and I'll change again :P )

Either way, I'm free to PM if you're overcome with drudgery.

I used to accept it. But like I said, being friends with a really popular girl changed that. I'd also started feeling like this since starting Year 12. I suppose I should just concentrate on my hobbies :tongue: . And my mood sometimes changes by the minute :biggrin: . Right now I'm feeling quite good :h:
Reply 9037

Original post by bullettheory
****ing anon function it is so ****ing annoying!

2/3 of the way through

:woo:
Reply 9038
My mood has crashed again. Really don't know why this happens so much :cry: :cry: :cry: . Really wish there was something that could help. My life is just s*** :cry: :cry: :cry:
If it wasn't for music I would probably I would've killed myself by now, it just makes so much quicker and enjoyable.

Latest