The Student Room Group

Biggest fear when starting uni?

Scroll to see replies

I'm worried that I'll be sharing a flat with people I won't get on with more than anything else. But I'm still excited to be moving away from home :smile:
Reply 161
Original post by pellejema
Sounds exactly the same as me! Where are you planning on going?

University of Sussex, you?
Reply 162
Being put in a hall flat with no girls. :eek:
Original post by swbp
University of Sussex, you?

English at either Exeter or Sussex, Sussex open day this weekend woooo
Reply 164
I was so scared I was going to miss deadlines, so I wasn't going to be an "official" student or I'd filled out my forms wrong or something stupid like that! When I was at home, my parents always double checked forms for me, and wrote all the deadlines on the notice board in the kitchen.
At the moment I have lots, hopefully by the time September comes around some of these will have dissappeared :rolleyes:

My biggest fear;
Not being posh enough..I have a proper Derbyshire accent which is so 'common' (aka. saying Baff, instead of Barth) I am worried noone will understand me :s-smilie:

Plus the usual;
Not making friends
Overwhelmed by the workload
Being one of the 'dumb' ones
Not being able to cook
Running out of money
I start university this fall, I think my biggest fear would be doing law well and learning to live without my parents haha
Reply 167
Original post by pellejema
English at either Exeter or Sussex, Sussex open day this weekend woooo

Oh my god that is so freaky! Out of all the universities in the UK haha!

Well make sure to tell me what accommodation you're considering if you go to Sussex, because we seem fun haha :smile:
Original post by bekylouisex3
At the moment I have lots, hopefully by the time September comes around some of these will have dissappeared :rolleyes:

My biggest fear;
Not being posh enough..I have a proper Derbyshire accent which is so 'common' (aka. saying Baff, instead of Barth) I am worried noone will understand me :s-smilie:

Don't worry about it. To northerners I probably have a 'posh' accent but I'm looking forward to meeting people who speak differently.
Original post by swbp
Oh my god that is so freaky! Out of all the universities in the UK haha!

Well make sure to tell me what accommodation you're considering if you go to Sussex, because we seem fun haha :smile:

Haha quite! And Sussex is a comparatively small uni. I'll make sure I will :smile:
Reply 170
The 27 grand of tuition fees scares me sh*tless
That there will be no cute girls on my corridor.
Reply 172
Original post by swbp
SAME, i'm slightly worried about my potential housemates. I like to drink, but also take my studies seriously, and i'm worried my flatmates will either be TOO loud or TOO quiet :/

same with me, i like to party hard, but i like to keep up with studies. there needs to be a balance i guess, hopefully my flatmates are the same!
Original post by jgibson18
Hey everyone :smile:

I'm due to start university in September 2012. I was just wandering what everyone's biggest fear was/is, about starting university?

Personally, my biggest fear is that I won't be able to cope without my family :colondollar:

Looking forward to hearing your replies :biggrin:

I was just thinking about making a thread like this yesterday. I'm so glad that I've found this. It's comforting to know that I'm not the only one with worries (even though I'm so excited at the same time).

I'm afraid of the debt, being unable to cope, and missing my family.
nervous perhaps not scared as such but I went to uni before and dropped out so am starting at a new uni so just nervous at my sort of perceptions of being at uni before. if that makes sense :s-smilie:
Reply 175
I'm worried that I will still be able to be a good enough mum to my children, even though I will be studying and working part-time. I want a better future for us, but I don't want them to suffer as a consequence.

I think I will be doing a lot of housework in the middle of the night :biggrin:
Reply 176
Original post by Ladyliesel
I was just thinking about making a thread like this yesterday. I'm so glad that I've found this. It's comforting to know that I'm not the only one with worries (even though I'm so excited at the same time).

I'm afraid of the debt, being unable to cope, and missing my family.

Thats why I made it :smile: I think it helps to know your not the only one with these worries :smile:

I hope that all of my worries are trivial once I start uni, I am gonna make the most of this opportunity :smile:
Reply 177
Original post by Lyde
I'm worried that I will still be able to be a good enough mum to my children, even though I will be studying and working part-time. I want a better future for us, but I don't want them to suffer as a consequence.

I think I will be doing a lot of housework in the middle of the night :biggrin:

I think your very inspiring for still going to uni! I really do hope you and your family all the best :smile:
Reply 178
Original post by jgibson18
I think your very inspiring for still going to uni! I really do hope you and your family all the best :smile:

Thank you :smile: I'm mortified that I've just negged you completely by accident, damn phone! I'll pos rep your post earlier to balance it out :colondollar:
Reply 179
My biggest worry right now is not getting in!!

My second is that my flatmates are rubbish. I sorta assumed that they'd be like my mates already, and then it hit me, i could get right hubknobs living with me :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest