The Student Room Group

Is it normal to have blurry vision with contact lenses?

I just got contacts after wearing only glasses for years. I find that my vision gets blurry when I am wearing the contacts especially when I am looking at the computer screen.I mean it's my first time wearing it and so far its been 2 hours, so I don't know if it's cause I'm not used to wearing them? I'm on a trial and will have to leave it in for at least 4 hours today so can't take them off yet.

I called the optometrist and he said that it’s the nature of contact lenses that this happens. He said that the lens sometimes moves out of alignment in the eye and vision may blur somewhat until it moves back into alignment. Sounded logical. But, I prefer my glasses I told him because everything is always clear. He again reiterated that the glasses don’t have the same issue with coming out of alignment. The coverage they provide is whole, but the lens can shift somewhat. He also mentioned that dryness can cause it, but I sometimes get blurry vision in the morning when I just put them in and they are still moist.

Is this right? Do all contact lens wearers experience blurry vision sometimes?I'm looking at the computer screen now and it looks so blurry,especially my right eye :frown:

Thanks
Reply 1
Your eyes get dry and that's the reason your contacts get blurry.

1) Don't use them more then 6-8 hours a day.
2) Use them as less as possible in front of the computer.
3) Get eyedroops that helps with dry eyes.
4) Blink every 6-10 seconds. (especially when you're using a computer).

I hope that will help.
Reply 2
I've had them for about 6 months now, and i find that expecially when I'm i'm tired my vision blurs. Long distance wise, they're usually fine but if I'm doing a lot of work on the computer or reading I usually wear my glasses :smile: I find I get headaches less often that way too :smile: See how it goes and maybe go in and talk to them if the problem continues :smile:
When I tried out contacts I had the same problem. What is was is that I wasn't blinking as much as i should and the contacts were drying out which caused them to move out of alignment whenever I did blink. Another reason we that my pupils are abnormally large and the actual lens part of the contact was to small leading to some sort of trippy tunnel vision. I'm happy with my glasses though. Hope this sort of helps. :smile:
Reply 4
How often should you remove the cleaning solution in the contact lens case? Is it every week?
Reply 5
Original post by 99luft Balons
How often should you remove the cleaning solution in the contact lens case? Is it every week?

Everyday.
Reply 6
Original post by Kathy89
Everyday.

Hi ive just started wearing contact lenses. I have different prescriptions for each eye. When im reading with them there is a blur as with distance. My optician said this will eventually disappear. After six weeks it still hasn't. I put drops in my eyes regular so i dont get dry eye. Does anyone know how long it will take till im used to them

Latest