The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Cystitis

just out of curiousity does anyone else suffer repeatedly with this problem? since last may ive had it 5/6 times and have ended on on penicillin 3 times. i know the causes etc ive been told them by several doctors and the leaflets in the sachets you get from chemists, but just wondering if anyone else gets it this regularly and what they do; does tensing up during sex have anything do do with it? Any advice/comments would be appreciated!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Cranberry pills, one a day, if you get them often - that's meant to help keep them away. That's what the doctor told me, anyway, haha.
Reply 2
Drink lots of water and cranberry juice as Kate. said is a must!

Make sure you try and go to the toilet before sex, and preferably afterwards too - urine is really good at killing the bacteria that cause UTI's like cystitis - and if you're drinking plenty of cranberry juice you shouldn't have a problem going :p:
Reply 3
It's an excellent excuse to drink gallons of Cranberry juice. I love it!

You could ask your bf to wash his willy in the sink before sex though!
Reply 4
Anonymous
just out of curiousity does anyone else suffer repeatedly with this problem? since last may ive had it 5/6 times and have ended on on penicillin 3 times. i know the causes etc ive been told them by several doctors and the leaflets in the sachets you get from chemists, but just wondering if anyone else gets it this regularly and what they do; does tensing up during sex have anything do do with it? Any advice/comments would be appreciated!

Yep :frown: Ive been on antibiotics twice for it but the other times I drink LOADS which really helps and sometimes take the special mixxy drink thing. I dont think tensing up has anything to do with it. Its just something some people get from sex - trauma to the bladder.
Reply 5
It can also be caused by bruising from rough sex - or symptoms like those of Cystitis.
Reply 6
I used to get it *all the time* turned out I didnt drink enough water - like any! So I make sure I drink heaps and cranberry does help. But do, make sure you use something like cranberry and drink lots of water - I ended up with a kidney infection in hospital.
Reply 7
I have had this more times that I can remember :frown:
Its so awful!!!!!!!!
The only thing that keeps it at bay for me is water water water - keep yourself "flushed through" so no bacteria can form. And yes cranberry, but no more than one glass a day because its so full of (admittedly natural) sugars that it will end up being counterproductive.

Also, last year I got it every other month for seven months - my doctor kept giving me antibiotics over and over, and not seeming to appreciate I clearly wasnt getting fully better, and eventually I went and registered at another doctor out of sheer frustration.
A couple of tests later and it turned out the strain of bacteria or whatever it was, was resistant to the particular sort of antibiotics my previous doctor had given me .... so one new set of pills later, and I had over a year free from cystitis. :smile:
Just something you might want to mention to your doctor if your attacks are frequent and persistent, even when you've only finished your prescription a month / few weeks before.

I hope you feel better soon xx Honestly its the disease of the devil is this!! :rolleyes:
I've had it 3 times in the past 3 months, and have been taking cranberry pills since the second time. Think I simply don't drink enough. The trigger has to be sex though, as it's the only real change in my lifestyle at the minute (my last sexual partner was in a long-distance relationship, so no 'honeymoon infection' there...). I've read that certain positions can increase the chance of infection, and, yes, rough sex. It is the worst thing ever though - last time I woke up in the night, had a disturbing amount of blood in my urine and vomited up anything I drank :frown:
pixiepeep
Drink lots of water and cranberry juice as Kate. said is a must!

Make sure you try and go to the toilet before sex, and preferably afterwards too - urine is really good at killing the bacteria that cause UTI's like cystitis - and if you're drinking plenty of cranberry juice you shouldn't have a problem going :p:

this cranberries thing is a proper housewives tail you know. drink plenty of water yes. wipe front to back. don't ever douche.
those are the important points.
certain things increase you risk of cystitis, from pregnancy to urinary retention and sturctural problems of your urinary tract.
if you find yourself with infections that come back within weeks of finishing your antibiotics (trimethoprim is your usual one) then the doc should refer you for investigation.
Anonymous
I've had it 3 times in the past 3 months, and have been taking cranberry pills since the second time. Think I simply don't drink enough. The trigger has to be sex though, as it's the only real change in my lifestyle at the minute (my last sexual partner was in a long-distance relationship, so no 'honeymoon infection' there...). I've read that certain positions can increase the chance of infection, and, yes, rough sex. It is the worst thing ever though - last time I woke up in the night, had a disturbing amount of blood in my urine and vomited up anything I drank :frown:

thats full blown pylnephritis - infected kidney.
its not only agony, but can irrepairably damage your kidney if you don't get treated promptly.
it also increases your risk of further kidney infections.
Reply 11
Anonymous
this cranberries thing is a proper housewives tail you know. drink plenty of water yes. wipe front to back. don't ever douche.
those are the important points.
certain things increase you risk of cystitis, from pregnancy to urinary retention and sturctural problems of your urinary tract.
if you find yourself with infections that come back within weeks of finishing your antibiotics (trimethoprim is your usual one) then the doc should refer you for investigation.

Cranberry isn't a rubbish wives' tale - http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/ask_the_doctor/cystitiscranberry.shtml

It works on mild cases but for extreme cases get thee to your doctor. I got a very agressive form and in 12 hours was at doctors with extreme kidney pain and then at hospital.

My doctor recommended I take cranberry supplements every day for the next 2 months following this and to increae my water intake - and I haven't had cystitus since.
segat1
Cranberry isn't a rubbish wives' tale - http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/ask_the_doctor/cystitiscranberry.shtml

It works on mild cases but for extreme cases get thee to your doctor. I got a very agressive form and in 12 hours was at doctors with extreme kidney pain and then at hospital.

My doctor recommended I take cranberry supplements every day for the next 2 months following this and to increae my water intake - and I haven't had cystitus since.

you probably haven't had the flu since either. do you think it has warded that off too?
Cranberry isn't special - its just many people lack vitamin C and don't drink enough. they start gulping down cranberry juice and taking care of themselves and hey presto, cystits reduces.
A study compared giving advice post cystits to drink cranberry juice, orange juice, water and grapefruit juice respectively. all showed significant reduced levels of cystitis versus giving no advice at all. but cranberry juice was no higher than the rest of the regemes.
its just drinking more and making sure you get your fill of vitamin C.
Reply 13
Anonymous
you probably haven't had the flu since either. do you think it has warded that off too?
Cranberry isn't special - its just many people lack vitamin C and don't drink enough. they start gulping down cranberry juice and taking care of themselves and hey presto, cystits reduces.
A study compared giving advice post cystits to drink cranberry juice, orange juice, water and grapefruit juice respectively. all showed significant reduced levels of cystitis versus giving no advice at all. but cranberry juice was no higher than the rest of the regemes.
its just drinking more and making sure you get your fill of vitamin C.

No, I had a flu jab but I get tonsilitus all the time :biggrin:

Cranberry juice (and blueberries) contains proanthodyanidins (i.e. antioxidants like Vit C) which inhibit bacteria i.e. the cause of UTIs adhering to your bladder lining. Hence this is why cranberry, specifically is recommended by doctors, nutritionists and naturpaths. Yes, it contains Vit C, but its the combination of of Vit C and the particular proanthodyanidins cranberry contains that makes it so effective.

Or am I preaching to a doctor? :biggrin:
segat1
No, I had a flu jab but I get tonsilitus all the time :biggrin:

Cranberry juice (and blueberries) contains proanthodyanidins (i.e. antioxidants like Vit C) which inhibit bacteria i.e. the cause of UTIs adhering to your bladder lining. Hence this is why cranberry, specifically is recommended by doctors, nutritionists and naturpaths. Yes, it contains Vit C, but its the combination of of Vit C and the particular proanthodyanidins cranberry contains that makes it so effective.

Or am I preaching to a doctor? :biggrin:

Kind of.
Don't get me wrong, it's sound advice that will do no harm, but the drinking plenty of water, hygience etc are more important. you know what sort of bacteria causes UTIs in young women? E.Coli in well over 80% of cases. Now as you all know E.Coli naturally lives in your gut...so the way it gets to your urethra is inevitably transfer from your bum, be it sexual (its why anything that goes in/on the bumhole - finger, tongue, nob, sex toy etc should be cleaned before going in the vagina), passive (from your pants - tight fitting ones are more likely toallow this transfer) or active (wiping back to front, having hideous personal hygiene etc).

proanthocyanidins are found in much greater volume in grape fruit extract by the way :wink:.
and guess whee else you find them....chocolate!!! :biggrin:
Reply 15
Anonymous

and guess whee else you find them....chocolate!!! :biggrin:
Woohoo!!! More excuses!
Anonymous
thats full blown pylnephritis - infected kidney.
its not only agony, but can irrepairably damage your kidney if you don't get treated promptly.
it also increases your risk of further kidney infections.

Don't worry, I got antibiotics and am fine now...it probably wasn't as bad as I made it sound. However, I am planning on getting me to a doctor as soon as possible to discuss preventative measures, as it's just getting depressing.
To qualify - it's kind of putting me off sex. And I haven't even had it that much compared to some people on here. Ah dear.
Reply 18
i get it all the time the first time i was embaressed and didnt tell anyone ended up in hospitial with a kidney infection, second time was in spain with my bf family that was bad and then got it again in russia on a school trip. its not uncommon to get it alot some people are prone to it.
Yes, its certainly more likely to strike again once you've had it once.
to the original poster - i'm not quite sure why they gave you penicilin for cystitis. was it amoxicillin or fluclox? (or poss augmentin)
if you were cleared after each infection than thats fine, but the worry is that if the wrong treatment is given that you never really clear it all up.