Original post by Imanerd
Can someone run through a van der graaff please? Thanks

- belt rubs against felt pad and becomes charged
- charge is carried onto insulated metal dome
- sparks are produced when metal dome can no longer carry charge
Reply 41
Original post by Jessica906

Original post by Jessica906
I'm so nervous for this exam, we only started learning it back in September and our teacher isn't exactly that fantastic. Therefore I'm learning the whole unit alone from my revision guide. My other exams last week went ok but Physics is definitely my weak point.

Any advice on specific areas I must know? & do I have to know how to do all equations?

Don't worry it should be easy considering the biology exam was solid! :smile:
Reply 42
Original post by sabrina_96

Original post by sabrina_96
- belt rubs against felt pad and becomes charged
- charge is carried onto insulated metal dome
- sparks are produced when metal dome can no longer carry charge

is this from the nelson thornes book because ive learnt it in the exact same way
Reply 43
Original post by PoorLoser

Original post by PoorLoser
Unless they do what they did in biology :frown:

The thing is, I was so depressed in the bio exam, that I even got the simple questions which people got right, wrong. And im really pissed off because of that D:

the biology exam was jus RANDOM!... so confusing :frown: :angery:
Reply 44
Original post by Leelad

Original post by Leelad
Thank you SOOOOOOOO much! Guaranteed 3 marks if one of those questions come up now, thanks again for clearing those questions up :smile:

Guys if we all do bad the grade for a A* would be 1 mark therefore we will all be happy?
Reply 46
Original post by Ice Man

Original post by Ice Man
I love the fact that a nice portion of the Physics exam is just plugging numbers into a calculator :smile: Easy marks!

Sameeee...Im good at calculations and nearlly half the paper usually is filled with numbers and calculations which is the only place i actually pick up all the marks lol!...very easy marks lol! :smile:
Reply 47
Original post by Joe2Jonas

Guys if we all do bad the grade for a A* would be 1 mark therefore we will all be happy?

Lol...i wish!...this is my retake and this paper better be easyy! btw what grade are you hoping to get or predicted? :smile:
Reply 48
Can someone explain the nuclear reactor to me pleaseee would be great help...thanks! :smile:
Original post by Subhaan120
Lol...i wish!...this is my retake and this paper better be easyy! btw what grade are you hoping to get or predicted? :smile:

Ooo I hope it would be easy for the both of us and good luck I am sure you will do fine. I want a A* in Physics overall but since this time I didn't revise well I am hopping at least A? :smile: what about u?
Reply 50

How did you find the paper you did in june? :smile:
Reply 51

Ooo I hope it would be easy for the both of us and good luck I am sure you will do fine. I want a A* in Physics overall but since this time I didn't revise well I am hopping at least A? :smile: what about u?

Im hoping to get an A :s-smilie: everyone saying this papers gonna be hard like B2...im brikin it!
Reply 52
Original post by nevarsan

Original post by nevarsan
How did you find the paper you did in june? :smile:

I got a C in biology ...two ums marks from a B...it was pretty hard and i'm hoping to do biology for A-levels.
and i got a C really close to a B aswell but the physics paper was much easier.
Im hoping to get an A :s-smilie: everyone saying this papers gonna be hard like B2...im brikin it!

Same I am doing the past papers now! I am doomed anyway I hope you get the A :biggrin:
Reply 54

Same I am doing the past papers now! I am doomed anyway I hope you get the A :biggrin:

Thank you...don't worry ull get ur grade...lol i did all my past papers last week and now im just flicking through all of them. :smile:
Someone explain out of all the mark schemes why is Physics the most strict?
Reply 56
Everybody excited? :tongue:
Lets just hope 2moz there is a 45 mark question on what is Direct Current? :biggrin:
Reply 58
Can someone explain the nuclear reactor to me pleaseee would be great help...thanks! :smile:

Nuclear reactors are used in nuclear fission.
This involves a neutron hitting either a nucleus of uranium or plutonium (these are unstable) and the products of this are:
-energy (kinetic/radioactive)
-2/3 neutrons
-the original nucleus splitting up into two smaller ones

So the purpose of nuclear fission is the energy released.
A chain reaction can occur if the neutrons produced go onto hit another unstable nucleus of uranium/plutonium and more neutrons, energy and nuclei are produced etc.

The reactors have certain features, such as:

-water in the reactor at high pressure that collide with the neutrons made from fission, slowing them down and acts as a MODERATOR. This is very important as fast neutrons do not go on to cause chain reactions. Water also acts as a COOLANT where the water molecules gain kinetic energy from the neutrons and this is them pumped through the core and is used to tranfer thermal energy to the heat exchanger from the core (high temp needed for fission)

-control rods that absorb surplus neutrons to keep the chain reaction under control

-the reactor is very THICK which can withstand the high temps/pressures

Also, remember to spell fission right otherwise examiners might thing you mean 'fusion' which is really quite different! :biggrin:
Reply 59

Lets just hope 2moz there is a 45 mark question on what is Direct Current? :biggrin:

LOL

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending