The Student Room Group

AQA Physics Unit 2 (PHY2H) - 30th January 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hotdog
Your depressed because you think you lost two marks on the whole paper???? O :O dude that's an A* and 100 ums

And yeh I think I got 2 m/s2 as well, cant remember :smile:

i said at least so even if i'm really lucky (and i'm 99% sure i won't be) the maximum i can get is 43
(edited 12 years ago)
The beads and pipe are both insulating materials.
So electrons are transferred from the pipe to the beads as they rub together causing friction.
This leaves the beads negatively charged.

Perfect answer for question one?
Original post by Nistar
Wow... my mind was a bit blown by the end of that. The plum pudding question threw me.

For the question about fine powders causing explosions, did you guys but that it would be fine powders because they have a larger surface area and a larger quantity is more likely to get charged? I honestly didn't know what I was babbling on about for half of it.

I put exactly that :smile:
Reply 123
Original post by flumpyfi
I got 2.5m/s squared for the acceleration. Anyone get that?

I got 4? I figured out a 'triangle' on the graph and divided a velocity of 8 by a time of 2 seconds (i.e. the gradient) to get 4 m/s sqaured. Not too sure, but I think that was what I put.
Reply 124
Original post by StateSchooler95
So electrons are transferred from the pipe to the beads as they rub together causing friction.

Yep I wrote exactly the same :smile:
Reply 125
I put the bulb was designed to be used with a dimmer switch lol :smile: I was very ill today :frown:
Reply 126

I just wrote that electrons are transferred from the pipe to the polystyrene beads, meaning there is a higher no. of electrons than protons in the atoms of the beads thus giving them a negative charge. Not too sure, it was a 3 mark question though. :frown:
Reply 127
Original post by Nistar

Original post by Nistar
I got 4? I figured out a 'triangle' on the graph and divided a velocity of 8 by a time of 2 seconds (i.e. the gradient) to get 4 m/s sqaured. Not too sure, but I think that was what I put.

I did 10-0/4 = 2.5
For all you people saying it was 2m/s^2 or 2.5m/s^2, let me clear a few things up for you:

the question asked you to find the acceleration IMMEDIATELY before the crash. between 0-2 seconds the graph was curved, showing increasing acelleration, and then between 2-4 seconds there was a straight line. the impact was at 4 seconds, so you had to find the gradient of the line right before that, and 2-4 seconds was a STRAIGHT line, you could use that. The change in velocity between 2-4 seconds was 8 (was 2m/s at 2seconds and 10m/s at 8). Now, you know how to work out acceleration, its change in velocity/time.

(10-2)/(4-2)= 4m/s^2
Can everyone post what they put for the Rutherford experiment. The 3 mark question on the alpha particles deflection.

Write what you put + whether you blabbed or not. Be honest please. :smile:
Reply 130
Original post by outsider95
For all you people saying it was 2m/s^2 or 2.5m/s^2, let me clear a few things up for you:

the question asked you to find the acceleration IMMEDIATELY before the crash. between 0-2 seconds the graph was curved, showing increasing acelleration, and then between 2-4 seconds there was a straight line. the impact was at 4 seconds, so you had to find the gradient of the line right before that, and 2-4 seconds was a STRAIGHT line, you could use that. The change in velocity between 2-4 seconds was 8 (was 2m/s at 2seconds and 10m/s at 8). Now, you know how to work out acceleration, its change in velocity/time.

(10-2)/(4-2)= 4m/s^2

That's the straight line that I used too. Because before that, it was curved and after the velocity plummeted down. I wasn't as confident on this exam as I thought. :frown:
Reply 131
Can everyone post what they put for the Rutherford experiment. The 3 mark question on the alpha particles deflection.

I wrote for:
A: The positively charged alpha particles did not hit the nucleus of the gold foil and so were not deflected
B: The positively charged alpha particles did hit the positively charged nucleus but not directly, so that was why they were deflected slightly
C: The positively charged alpha particiles directly hit the positively charged nuclei of the gold foil atoms and were so deflected by electrostatic repulsion.

But that might not be right. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)

first one i said most of the atom is empty space, so the alpha particle passed right through
second one it was one of two things, either it slightly interacted with the nucleus, bending it slightly, or an electron interacted with it - not sure which one is correct, i went with the electron though
third one i said it hits the nucleus and deflects back, due to the same charges repelling
Reply 133
I put that in A, it hadn't been deflected at all because it had gone straight through the empty space around the nucleus. For B I put that the alpha particle had gone neer to the nucleus and had therefore ben deflected a little by the two positive charges and for the C i put that the particle went realy close to the nucleus and therefore got deflected. I did just bable really :biggrin: I don't know if this is right though
Reply 134
What did everyone put for the momentum ones?
love that test!!!!!!

where's the unofficial mark scheme?!
Reply 136
Original post by Nistar

Thats what i got too
Reply 137
Original post by PoorLoser
love that test!!!!!!

We're waiting for the intelligent people who have a very good memory to come online, haha. :biggrin:
Reply 138

love that test!!!!!!

Tell me when you get it, cheers :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest