The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TaraBelle

They said you basically have to meet the minimum entry requirements for academics because they realise that different people blossom at different points- so just get six A's at GCSE (but no resits allowed, even modules to get those six A's, they're not bothered about resits in the others) and then ABBB at AS, again same resit policy. With UKCAT they said, in the guy's words, they got it wrong 2 years ago, and apparently the speaker tried it out and got 0 haha so they decided to change the policy- now you need a score of 2400 (so 600 in each section) and you go on to the next stage of the process, once you've passed all those requirements, they look at your ps and make interviews on that :smile:

Sounds like a really good application process :biggrin:
Reply 4601
So... am I the only one that visited Jesus College at the open day? I have to say I loved it (and who wouldn't want to say that they go to Jesus?), along with Emmanuel. They're my two favourite from Cambridge. Some of you guys here are too strong competitors... so don't apply to Jesus/Emma. :colondollar: On the other hand, Trinity and Kings really put me off.
I visited Jesus!

Spoiler

In Cambridge I really like Gonville and Caius and Christs. At Oxford I really liked Worcester, Brasenose and Wadham.

In all fairness though I'm not sure if I am going to apply to either. My GCSEs are a bit below par for Oxford and my AS levels are probably going to be the same for Cambridge. The only way I can see myself being a serious applicant is if I apply with full A Level results, so that no further academic promise is necessary. The only way that will happen is if I don't get in for 2013 cycle, so I am obviously trying to avoid that situation.
Reply 4603
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
Sheffield isn't the only medical school that gives out those ****ty free highlighters :lol:

Calm down! :colone:

But yea, those highlighters are pretty useless :rofl:
Reply 4604
I just found on the internet a site thaat matches symptoms with diseases. It is called ESAGIL . I think it is useful for us as medical students (or prospective medical students)
Reply 4605
Original post by AspiringGenius
I visited Jesus!

Spoiler

In Cambridge I really like Gonville and Caius and Christs. At Oxford I really liked Worcester, Brasenose and Wadham.

In all fairness though I'm not sure if I am going to apply to either. My GCSEs are a bit below par for Oxford and my AS levels are probably going to be the same for Cambridge. The only way I can see myself being a serious applicant is if I apply with full A Level results, so that no further academic promise is necessary. The only way that will happen is if I don't get in for 2013 cycle, so I am obviously trying to avoid that situation.

would you apply to oxbridge after a gap year? or would you just want to maximise your chances of getting onto a course to do medicine?
Original post by Richyp22
Yep i know it was the same for my talk, But when i e-mailed them they said they allow them, and also on the website theres no mention on not allowing moduler resits.

oh really? That's annoying that they're saying two different things :/ what time talk were you at?

Original post by Natalie21
Sounds like a really good application process :biggrin:

I knoww! I really really like sheffield now, especially since they're not ukcat crazy anymore :smile:

Really? They stressed quite a bit in my talk that they don't like resits and would only consider them if you had extenuating circumstances..?

likewise!
Original post by Xotol
So... am I the only one that visited Jesus College at the open day? I have to say I loved it (and who wouldn't want to say that they go to Jesus?), along with Emmanuel. They're my two favourite from Cambridge. Some of you guys here are too strong competitors... so don't apply to Jesus/Emma. :colondollar: On the other hand, Trinity and Kings really put me off.

I forgot to visit Jesus - wish I had - may go have a look in summer :biggrin:

I visited Jesus!

Spoiler

I loved Christ'S!

I knoww! I really really like sheffield now, especially since they're not ukcat crazy anymore :smile:

Yeah it sounds really good - might consider it now :biggrin:
Reply 4609
:awesome:

:danceboy:
dreading my school reference, lol.
Original post by AtomicMan

Me too considering that all my teachers think the only useful thing to talk about in my personal statement is academics and they think extracurriculars/ work experience are useless for medicine, what is my reference going to be like?
Reply 4612
haha major deciding factor- nottingham had pens with highlighters on the other end! They're amazing.

They said you basically have to meet the minimum entry requirements for academics because they realise that different people blossom at different points- so just get six A's at GCSE (but no resits allowed, even modules to get those six A's, they're not bothered about resits in the others) and then ABBB at AS, again same resit policy. With UKCAT they said, in the guy's words, they got it wrong 2 years ago, and apparently the speaker tried it out and got 0 haha so they decided to change the policy- now you need a score of 2400 (so 600 in each section) and you go on to the next stage of the process, once you've passed all those requirements, they look at your ps and make interviews on that :smile:

Really?!:eek: Okay that's it I'm applying to sheffield :awesome:

Awesome.. Thanks again!! :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
Original post by Pride
would you apply to oxbridge after a gap year? or would you just want to maximise your chances of getting onto a course to do medicine?

I have much more interest in studying medicine than studying at Oxbridge. Of course I would love to go there, but Medicine in particular means you only have four choices, rather than five (I'm not applying for biochem or similar, I don't want to do it, won't go if I get an offer, I will simply reapply for medicine). This means that applying unrealistically has a much greater impact upon chances of getting in altogether. In other courses, it might be worth a shot for an aspirational place, but I think if I want to get in I will need to take a more pragmatic approach to where I apply.

If I wanted ti study at Oxford or Cambridge solely, then I wouldn't apply for medicine. Anyone who is motivated more towards university prestige than their chosen subject, yet still apply for medicine is misguided and foolish. I mitt apply still, but it will have to be something I will weigh up based on AS results etc.

Either way, I prefarablydont want to take a gap year, because I don't have the money to go anywhere interesting, and because I have concentrated so much of my effort into getting into Medicine first time round. I still have no certainties about where I will and won't apply, exceot perhaps Belfast because of the impraicalities of living a body of water away from family support.

How are you feeling about everything medicine? I'm starting to get a bit clammy about it all, if you understand.
(edited 11 years ago)
Either way, I prefarablydont want to take a gap year, because I don't have the money to go anywhere interesting, and because I have concentrated so much of my effort into getting into Medicine first time round. I still have no certainties about where I will and won't apply, exceot perhaps Belfast because of the impraicalities of living a body of water away from family support.

So confused why everyone says living in Belfast would be impractical, an hour away from all major cities with daily cheap flights doesn't seem too bad surely ? A lot better than like 5 hours to Newcastle on the train.
oh really? That's annoying that they're saying two different things :/ what time talk were you at?
QUOTE]

I was at last months but probly the same guy that did the talk a few days ago. But honestly I dunno what that guy was talking about,
Hey did anyone go to the UCL open day and if so could you tell me how they use UMS marks and if they're that important ?
Original post by AtomicMan

Original post by Hippokrates
Me too considering that all my teachers think the only useful thing to talk about in my personal statement is academics and they think extracurriculars/ work experience are useless for medicine, what is my reference going to be like?

It's best in these situations to make up a list of things you specifically want included and give it to them and tell them it's your future so they better damn make sure they try to include it all in your reference. It's what I did. Worked amazingly well.
Reply 4618
Original post by Orinincandenza
Hey did anyone go to the UCL open day and if so could you tell me how they use UMS marks and if they're that important ?

I did, I went to a medicine talk in the morning.

They didn't put much focus on UMS marks. They didn't like module resits. They wanted things done in one sitting, so they want you to put down the modules.

They wanted demonstrations of academic ability, so they say they look at GCSEs a lot. They wanted to see good AS grades, and not just high predictions.
Original post by Pride
I did, I went to a medicine talk in the morning.

They didn't put much focus on UMS marks. They didn't like module resits. They wanted things done in one sitting, so they want you to put down the modules.

They wanted demonstrations of academic ability, so they say they look at GCSEs a lot. They wanted to see good AS grades, and not just high predictions.

hmmm, yeah this is the bit that confuses me when they say that UMS arent that important but they want to see high performance in bio and chem, i mean everyone will have AAAA so surely they'll have to go to UMS to differentiate, seems strange.

Thanks

Latest

Trending

Trending