The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

What happens if you end up with B's at AS, would that rule out any universities or put you at a significant disadvantage anywhere? :redface:
Original post by IAmMclovin
What happens if you end up with B's at AS, would that rule out any universities or put you at a significant disadvantage anywhere? :redface:

Depends on what the B is in. IIRC, some med schools dont like Bs in biology or chemistry.

In other news, decided to hunt for work experience in surgery, need to write 3 covering letters, been so long since Ive done this I almost forgot XD
Original post by AtomicMan
Depends on what the B is in. IIRC, some med schools dont like Bs in biology or chemistry.

In other news, decided to hunt for work experience in surgery, need to write 3 covering letters, been so long since Ive done this I almost forgot XD

i see...

and nice! :smile: are you going to be sending letters out to consultants or the work exp dept. of the hospital?

I havent tried to get any in surgery yet, i didnt think i'd be allowed :redface:

what other work exp have you sorted? :smile:

Rules out Cambridge.
i see...

and nice! :smile: are you going to be sending letters out to consultants or the work exp dept. of the hospital?

I havent tried to get any in surgery yet, i didnt think i'd be allowed :redface:

what other work exp have you sorted? :smile:

Well, one is directly to the department. The other two are directly to the consultants. Ive done a week in upper GI, organised a week in anaesthetics and a week shadowing a GP :smile: Mainly doing extra because Id find it an interesting experience.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Natalie21
Rules out Cambridge.

ahh, yes, i forgot they look at UMS :frown:
Original post by AtomicMan
Well, one if directly to the department. The other two are directly to the consultants. Ive done a week in upper GI, organised a week in anaesthetics and a week shadowing a GP :smile: Mainly doing extra because Id find it an interesting experience.

well good luck :yep:

Ive done a week already on various wards, from last year, and im in the process of getting some in a GP :smile:

Ive got quite a lot of volunteering / extra curriculars though, and im getting bit worried that i have very little time to finish all my work/revise during the week :s-smilie:

Yeah :/
Ive got quite a lot of volunteering / extra curriculars though, and im getting bit worried that i have very little time to finish all my work/revise during the week :s-smilie:

Same :/ It sucks :'(

Do you mean for Jan modules with option of improving later by doing retakes OR actual summer AS results?

If the latter then it pretty much rules out everywhere, they're expecting applicants to get AAA (for A2) as a minimum so would look extremely skeptically on someone with say ABBB or BBBB, even if predicted are great, could probs get away with one B but would need great predicted grades for A2.

If the former then yeah only Cambridge and UCL care.

Context? AAAB? AAAAB? AAABB?

Rules out Cambridge.

As with any university, it depends on other factors.

Note: A lovely girl from my school (which is a v. standard comp.) holds an Oxford offer - she had AAAB at AS.
Same :/ It sucks :'(

I only have 2 evenings free during a school week, and i have to cram all my work in then :'(

Original post by Orinincandenza
Do you mean for Jan modules with option of improving later by doing retakes OR actual summer AS results?

If the latter then it pretty much rules out everywhere, they're expecting applicants to get AAA (for A2) as a minimum so would look extremely skeptically on someone with say ABBB or BBBB, even if predicted are great, could probs get away with one B but would need great predicted grades for A2.

If the former then yeah only Cambridge and UCL care.

I mean actual summer AS results, if for example, someone gets AABB, or perhaps AAAB? What if the B's were not in bio/chem

Original post by Lily Academia
Context? AAAB? AAAAB? AAABB?

As with any university, it depends on other factors.

Note: A lovely girl from my school (which is a v. standard comp.) holds an Oxford offer - she had AAAB at AS.

I mean only 1 or 2 B's. I can understand it wouldnt be ideal if it was in bio/chem, but what if it was in one of the other 2 AS subjects?
Reply 912
Had my first day on the ward today, worked 7 til 530 so quite a day! Was really amazing, persuaded me to do medicine even more if possible! :tongue:

Cambridge isn't the be all and end all though :smile:
Reply 914
Original post by PinkEye
Hello :biggrin: And thanks. How're you doing?

Im good thankyou! :smile:
How are you? :smile:
I got 6a*s and 5A's in my gcse's. Do you reckon i can still get in to medicine?
Original post by DarkAndTwisty
Cambridge isn't the be all and end all though :smile:

of course it isnt, i dont even think im going to apply tbh :smile:
Original post by bhogs001
I got 6a*s and 5A's in my gcse's. Do you reckon i can still get in to medicine?

:rolleyes: Yes.

of course it isnt, i dont even think im going to apply tbh :smile:

Then there's no need for the sad face, eh? :console:
I mean actual summer AS results, if for example, someone gets AABB, or perhaps AAAB? What if the B's were not in bio/chem
I mean only 1 or 2 B's. I can understand it wouldnt be ideal if it was in bio/chem, but what if it was in one of the other 2 AS subjects?

Yeah admissions use it as a judge of your chances of meeting the entrance offer , so one B in a subject you could drop next year wouldn't be too bad for the unis which offer AAAb but unacceptable for those offering AAAa. Two or more Bs would generally look very bad and since it's such a competitive process would need extremely good predicted A2s to compensate.
Original post by Gcayte
Im going to a respiratory ward next week :smile:
Congrats! :smile:

Hey weird coincidence i volunteer on a respiratory ward weekly, it's nice to be anywhere but is largely COPD and the treatment is just - stabilise, treat pneumonia or other slight complication, send home. So not a huge variety, nice people though.

Latest

Trending

Trending