The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DarkAndTwisty
:horse:

I need to start using that smilie!
Original post by Orinincandenza
Oh, nope didn't mean that:smile:, i mean i'm a nursing care assistant in a care home so aware of how lonely and isolated old age can be, that said the actual impact volunteers make is often variable (personal remark, sure you guys are all young mother teresas).

So volunteers make more of an impact in hospitals?
Original post by Natalie21
I need to start using that smilie!

Me too :tongue:

Oh, nope didn't mean that:smile:, i mean i'm a nursing care assistant in a care home so aware of how lonely and isolated old age can be, that said the actual impact volunteers make is often variable (personal remark, sure you guys are all young mother teresas).

I don't care that I'm not curing Alzheimer's or winning volunteer of the year. Here's what I do care about: the people I talk to, I get comments like 'this makes all the difference' or 'it's nice just to have someone to talk to'. That's what I care about. Because making a difference to someone's life isn't necessarily about saving them from a certain death, it can also be about taking the time to just listen to them and hold their hand.
Original post by Natalie21
So volunteers make more of an impact in hospitals?

Me too :tongue:
I don't care that I'm not curing Alzheimer's or winning volunteer of the year. Here's what I do care about: the people I talk to, I get comments like 'this makes all the difference' or 'it's nice just to have someone to talk to'. That's what I care about. Because making a difference to someone's life isn't necessarily about saving them from a certain death, it can also be about taking the time to just listen to them and hold their hand.

Gah, guys i thought i went through this, i think some volunteers do good work, maybe thats you, maybe it's not, hospital vs. care home is a silly argument, it's basically the same role.
Gah, guys i thought i went through this, i think some volunteers do good work, maybe thats you, maybe it's not, hospital vs. care home is a silly argument, it's basically the same role.

To be fair I don't know why you brought how good the volunteer is into it - you were discussing the "impressiveness" of care homes vs. hospitals.
Reply 1185
There is no requirement to volunteer at a charity shop, and, like I said before, if you have ANY other volunteer placement available to you that involves a caring aspect (eg a nursing home, special needs children, disabled adults) it would be more beneficial to your application, and a lot more enjoyable, IMO. But, if you cannot find any other placement, then volunteering at a charity shop long-term shows that you stick to what you do and shows you have time to do other things outside of college work :smile: You will also develop some communication skills that you could mention on your personal statement, but you'd develop more in a caring environment.

Thanks!! I suppose you're right. Tbh, I'm just trying to maintain a "I only do things i enjoy" approach to my application. And, i enjoy working there so I will continue with it anyway... But, yeah. I don't think I've developped communication skills - maybe I'm just a natural communicator :P :P
Reply 1186
Original post by Varsh05
Aw please don't remind me! :frown:
I flopped them all for sure! :cry2:

Sorry :redface: But Im sure you didnt! :smile::smile:
Just had to get on here and gloat - For one: SPRING HAS ACTUALLY STARTED! Totes feeling the sun! (Plus, anyone else find Maverick Sabre's I need tune the perfect accompaniment to the summer day?) aswell as...I got tickets for Kanye Wests+ Jay - Z's Watch the Throne tour - anyone else feeling this?!

On a more medical side of life, I got really gay and geeky and buoght this fat ass clinical anatomy book, quite a few of you on here have talked about getting to grips with anatomy early on (I realise this is like buying baby clothes for your own child when your 11years old yourself, to prepare for when/if you finally decide to have kids) as it's something most medical students struggle with at the beginning - LOVE. It's so interesting, doesn't feel like work, and it's awesome to read the stuff on how it applies clinically.

Or have i just made myself out to be a really weird rap-music-loving geek... I feel like the hooker who likes to wear turtle neck jumpers.
Original post by ameelia22
Just had to get on here and gloat - For one: SPRING HAS ACTUALLY STARTED! Totes feeling the sun! (Plus, anyone else find Maverick Sabre's I need tune the perfect accompaniment to the summer day?) aswell as...I got tickets for Kanye Wests+ Jay - Z's Watch the Throne tour - anyone else feeling this?!

On a more medical side of life, I got really gay and geeky and buoght this fat ass clinical anatomy book, quite a few of you on here have talked about getting to grips with anatomy early on (I realise this is like buying baby clothes for your own child when your 11years old yourself, to prepare for when/if you finally decide to have kids) as it's something most medical students struggle with at the beginning - LOVE. It's so interesting, doesn't feel like work, and it's awesome to read the stuff on how it applies clinically.

Or have i just made myself out to be a really weird rap-music-loving geek... I feel like the hooker who likes to wear turtle neck jumpers.

That book sounds pretty interesting - what is it called if you don't mind me asking? :smile:

On another note does anyone mind reading my CV and cover letter for work exp. ? I haven't got any work experience organised yet (and I know I should REALLY get a move on) and needed someone to look over my CV to see if it sounds OK to email lots of consultants.
Booya,

Original post by Ketchup'n'Mustard
That book sounds pretty interesting - what is it called if you don't mind me asking? :smile:

On another note does anyone mind reading my CV and cover letter for work exp. ? I haven't got any work experience organised yet (and I know I should REALLY get a move on) and needed someone to look over my CV to see if it sounds OK to email lots of consultants.

Here:

I'd be happy too - but I don't think that I'm all that great myself, so i'll leave it to someone else!

nah, it's not geeky, i think everyone should know some anatomy just for general knowledge, like they should know their way around an atlas.

I'll PM you my email if you want to send it.
Booya,

Here:

I'd be happy too - but I don't think that I'm all that great myself, so i'll leave it to someone else!

Ah thanks!

I wouldn't mind reading it for you :smile: I've just got feedback from the hospital where I had to write a CV and cover letter for it too :biggrin:
Original post by TaraBelle
I wouldn't mind reading it for you :smile: I've just got feedback from the hospital where I had to write a CV and cover letter for it too :biggrin:

Oh great thanks! I'll PM it to you :smile:
Original post by Killki06
Thanks!! I suppose you're right. Tbh, I'm just trying to maintain a "I only do things i enjoy" approach to my application. And, i enjoy working there so I will continue with it anyway... But, yeah. I don't think I've developped communication skills - maybe I'm just a natural communicator :P :P

I think you'd enjoy volunteering at a care home too though, it's really rewarding work

I'd be happy to! I know you've got quite a few people reading it already but if you need another opinion PM it to me :smile:
I think you'd enjoy volunteering at a care home too though, it's really rewarding work

I'd be happy to! I know you've got quite a few people reading it already but if you need another opinion PM it to me :smile:

Ok sending it now:smile:
Hi guys, sorry I haven't been around in ages, don't think I am gonna be around much for quite a while either, it's all gone a bit crazy and I'm getting barely any time online any more because of a rather major real life problem. I hope you're all okay anyway, I'm hoping things will get back to normal soon, but with what she said to me today I'm really doubting it. Still, I can but hope! Hope to talk to you all soon :smile:
Original post by Anna-Jack-Hope
Hi guys, sorry I haven't been around in ages, don't think I am gonna be around much for quite a while either, it's all gone a bit crazy and I'm getting barely any time online any more because of a rather major real life problem. I hope you're all okay anyway, I'm hoping things will get back to normal soon, but with what she said to me today I'm really doubting it. Still, I can but hope! Hope to talk to you all soon :smile:

Uh oh. Well hope it all gets sorted. You give us a shout when it is, don't give up, chin up, keep smiling.
Original post by Anna-Jack-Hope

Hope it all sorts out soon :biggrin: :hugs:

Love this made me laugh :lol:

I would but looks like you've got enough people reading it :P
That sounds interesting! :smile:

Haha :wink:

Aha :tongue:

Ahhhh I wanted to get tickets to this but I have an exam the next day! Are you going to the O2 in London or the june 11th/13th ones up north?

HAHA, refreshing to find someone like you on TSR :biggrin:

It's not about 'impressing' them. I'm pretty sure the admission tutors don't get 'impressed' over what sort of environment you do your work experience. Unless you single handedly set up an orphanage in an underprivileged part of your city and manage to run it whilst getting AAA at AS Level, that is. It's about the skills you gain from it, the things you learn. And I don't know about you, but when I come away from spending time with elderly people who often feel like they have no one to talk to, I feel I've actually made a difference, no matter how small. When I go there, I don't sit and think 'lol I might go elsewhere cause this ain't gonna impress anyone', I sit and think 'well if the rest of my day sucks, at least I'll know I've made another person's day that little bit better'.

Personal statement material right there. :yep:

Latest

Trending

Trending