Im 3rd Year - Missed an Exam - genuinely got the wrong day - advice/help needed!!?

Watch
Andy50
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hi there,

So I am in third year (final year) and I have somehow gone and got the wrong date for my exam...I did not miss it on purpose which is obvious, and I have various pieces of evidence to show that I have been working for it, for example I was in the library all of last night when I do not have any other work due in any time soon....so i was obviously working for the exam, in addition i have files on my laptop showing work which I have done in preparation for it. I have other stuff too!

I have told my course administrator what has happened, I have been honest and told the truth about genuinely getting the date wrong - so lieing about illness of something is out of the question...the course administrator basically got me to fill out a mitigating circumstances form which will almost definitely get rejected because it says 'misreading the timetable' is not an excuse (which i obviously realise).

I simply dont accept that due to missing my first ever exam in my life, having never even given a piece of course work in late that there is nothing which the university can do. Due to one **** up on my behalf which will affect my entire degree and make it very hard go get a 2:1 which is the bare minimum you can be really graduating with these days!. They claim that the appeal just goes to the mitigating circumstances board. But i think there must be someone higher up to speak to?

Has anyone else ever had this happen to them? Due to it being 3rd year they say i cant even resit, although I was told about something called a 'first sit'...and something about average marks....if anyone can help it would be much appreciated,

Cheers,

Andy
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I know this is really really horrible for you to be going through, but there really isn't anything that you can do. As it says, misreading the timetable isn't a reason to get to get mitigating circumstances.

Don't give up though. Go and talk to tutors and explain the situation and why it occurs. It's an incredibly hard lesson to learn, I know that, but unfortunately it's happened so just try to chat to tutors and see what the best is that you can make out of the situation.
DPLSK
Badges: 14
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Andy50)
Has anyone else ever had this happen to them? Due to it being 3rd year they say i cant even resit, although I was told about something called a 'first sit'...and something about average marks....if anyone can help it would be much appreciated.
I think you need to speak to the senior tutor on your course, which I assume is on your departmental webpage. You should notify him/her immediately and discuss the matter with them personally to see what can be done.

In future, I strongly recommend printing off an exam timetable using the student system - it will spare any misfortune of this happening again.

All the best.

Darren
Andy50
Rep:
?
So i have got the name of the person who is the main person on the mitigating circumstances board. I am going to go and see him. As I say I realise its all my fault but im hoping that I will be able to appeal to this mans emotional side. At the end of the day he is human right so theres got to be some way I can get through to him. Thats all I have at the moment, my other option at this stage is to completely change my story and lie...which would obviously look very suspicious, but at the end of the day i have nothing to lose, I would rather fight and know I have done everything I can than graduate with a completely unjust 2:2 which is essentially pointless in todays world...
madders94
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
So i have got the name of the person who is the main person on the mitigating circumstances board. I am going to go and see him. As I say I realise its all my fault but im hoping that I will be able to appeal to this mans emotional side. At the end of the day he is human right so theres got to be some way I can get through to him. Thats all I have at the moment, my other option at this stage is to completely change my story and lie...which would obviously look very suspicious, but at the end of the day i have nothing to lose, I would rather fight and know I have done everything I can than graduate with a completely unjust 2:2 which is essentially pointless in todays world...
Don't lie - if your lie is found out, and it probably will be, you won't be seen as someone who made a genuine mistake and they'll have much less sympathy for you than they would if you're honest all the way through.
Andy50
Rep:
?
obviously my lie would be based around being ill....which I have read on a lot of forums, and seems to be the only way to get a resit!
Rarrgh
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
obviously my lie would be based around being ill....which I have read on a lot of forums, and seems to be the only way to get a resit!
If so make sure you choose a decent Illness. Because you'll have to balance between bad enough to miss an exam, but not go to doctors for.

Plus the fact you have told your tutors about just missing it might not hep.
Alces_alces
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You'd need a drs note for this, I know at my uni they are ridiculously strict about this, I had to get a drs note for every exam I missed while I was ill =/
Andy50
Rep:
?
yes, well i figured i would need a doctors note, for which i was planning on just going to the out of hours and telling them I had had food poisoning all day as id eaten a chinese or something the night before so i had diarrhea all day so couldnt leave the house. also i know food poisoning is generally untreatable and you are just told to drink plenty of water etc by the doctor, so i would be saying that was the reason i didnt go as my mum is a nurse and she told me they would give me anything. I will obviously say however that i need a note as i am in third year and my university are demanding a note...
Andy50
Rep:
?
but as you say, its the case of why have i suddenly changed my story....its just a **** situation, because the way i see it if the mitigating circumstances man says its an invalid reason misreading which he is likely to then i have nothing to lose in saying i was ill the way i see it. i just really really dont want to fail the module
DPLSK
Badges: 14
Report 9 years ago
but as you say, its the case of why have i suddenly changed my story....its just a **** situation, because the way i see it if the mitigating circumstances man says its an invalid reason misreading which he is likely to then i have nothing to lose in saying i was ill the way i see it. i just really really dont want to fail the module
I suggest you read this very carefully.

Darren
ancientone
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Don't make up an illness - that is serious malpractice and could result in almost immediate suspension from the university, with a really embarassing gap in your CV to explain to future employers. It should also be obvious that in a university the size of Manchester that virtually every trick in the book has been tried before - and usually failed. The tutor can't act on their own as it will need to go the full board for consideration, and they will be constrained by the university regulations. Far better to marshall your evidence and gain the support of your personal tutor to provide a statement about your academic potential for the advisory board. You've handled it right so far - don't blow it at the end - and good luck!
harpy67
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
hello, im currently in the same situation. Wondering how this went? did you get to resit in summer or fail the whole module/ course?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (88)
38.6%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (25)
10.96%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (17)
7.46%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (55)
24.12%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (27)
11.84%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (16)
7.02%

Watched Threads