nicoleclaire
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I applied there to do English but got offered an interview for cultural studies instead. I'm not sure whether i'm going to go there or not because it's so far away and the cost of travel + a hotel for one, possibly two days is going to be phenomenal. Can anyone tell me anything about the course? I've had a look at the website so i know what's on there but what do you personally think about it? what kind of things do you do and how would it appeal to a english, history and media student like me? I've already seen the university so i already know that's great thanks
kerily
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If money is making it difficult for you to go to the interview, can you contact them and tell them this? I had a friend who got the cost of his travel to Aberystwyth (from Yorkshire) paid for by the uni because he was poor It works sometimes!
tenaciousgirl
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hey, I've actually just finished my second year of Cultural Studies at Leeds. Also, I realise this reply may be a bit late now but ohwell! The frustrating thing about Cultural Studies is that it's such a mixture, and it's so difficult to describe; I can never seem to explain what it is to people, and just end up saying it's a cross between media, english, sociology, philosophy and history of art. Which it is! In your first year you do ICA (Introduction to Cultural Analysis) which has similarities to media studies, and you'll also do Film and History, which involves a screening of an american film each week. You also do Cultural History which maps out some of the fundamental social, economic and cultural shifts that form the historical ground on which Cultural Studies builds. You trace cultural developments from the pre-modern to the modern to the postmodern, looking at things like race, gender, class, language, subjectivity, identity, the city, war and colonialism. In your first year, you get to choose two elective modules. These can be within the School of Fine Art, History of Art and Cultural Studies or from elsewhere. I personally chose Sociology modules which tied in nicely. Cultural Studies is definitely very different from English, and it's not to everyone's taste, but it is a really broad subject that covers a lot, plus in your second year you have to do some history of art modules, which is a subject I'd never studied before! Hope this is helpful, if a bit late...
SimonaLaroche
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi! I just got accepted into Art History with Cultural studies at Leeds. I assume you probably finished this course by now so I would like to know whether you enjoyed it overall and if your opinion changed since 2012. Thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (102)
24.52%
No (314)
75.48%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise