The Student Room Group

Why do people get annoyed at Scottish Uni Fees?

Scroll to see replies

6 months I believe.
I think it might be 3 years? I could be wrong.
Pretty sure it's 3 years.
It takes years. If it were as easy as you described then there would be a major shortage of students from the UK who come from England.

The debt only sounds horrible. In practise, it's easily manageable. Don't let the bourgeoisie mind games stop you from going to uni.
It's 3 years. It says on SAAS you have to have been ordinarily resident in Scotland for three years.
Reply 25
I've often heard people on TSR saying how angry we are that here in Scotland our Unis are free.

Surely that's just how we choose to use the money given to us?

And also, it benefits thousands of people - without them there is no way I could afford to go to uni.

Discuss?
I'm not annoyed, I'm jealous :colonhash:
The thing which annoys me is that EU countries also get uni for free, but English students don't.
Original post by Spawn of Descartes
The thing which annoys me is that EU countries also get uni for free, but English students don't.

We aren't legally allowed to charge EU students though- it's not our fault. How do you think we feel having to pay taxpayers money to fund their degrees?
Seriously. Free admission to University? **** me I'd love that.
Reply 30
I'm annoyed because BRITISH tax payers fund SCOTTISH university places!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 31
The only reason it's free is because it's how the Scottish Government choose to allocate their budget, some of which comes from the rest of the UK. Remember that university was free at the point of delivery up until the Blair government - there were fees, but the government paid them and there were grants and loans available, but of course that system isn't sustainable when you're trying to force bajillions of people through university system who shouldn't even be there at all :rolleyes:

Want that system back? Tough, it isn't coming back. The academic system is a gravy train these days and that will never change.

Original post by Spawn of Descartes

That's just an unfortunate anomaly and somewhat of a loophole, I'm afraid.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ch0llima
That's just an unfortunate anomaly and somewhat of a loophole, I'm afraid.

Yeah fair enough. It would rub salt into the wounds, if scots got uni in England for free aswell.
Reply 33
Original post by Mr. Z
I'm annoyed because BRITISH tax payers fund SCOTTISH university places!

No, British taxpayers pay tax. Scotland gets a set amount of that money given to us. We choose how to spend that money.
Reply 34
Original post by aroy45
No, British taxpayers pay tax. Scotland gets a set amount of that money given to us. We choose how to spend that money.

That "set amount of money" comes from British taxes. *face palm*
Original post by Mr. Z

That are also paid by Scottish people :smile:
Reply 36
I don't get annoyed. I'm Welsh, so I don't pay full fees either :tongue:
Reply 37
Why so many negs on Mr Z's comment? Its the ridiculous truth. Disgusting how a scottish student can study for free due to ENGLISH money, yet ENGLISH people have to pay £9000 a year to study in ENGLAND. Scotland is all cocky about how they don't want to be associated with us either. To be honest let them break away from us right this instant, they are nothing but a burden

How the hell do 8 people class my comment as negative? I'm just stating the truth.... face the facts you stupid *****
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 38
Original post by scotland369
That are also paid by Scottish people :smile:

True, but the Scottish get the free tuition..
Original post by Mr. Z

Scotland is in Britain? I see why you would be annoyed, but it isn't actually the people of Scotland's fault. Why don't you campaign and try and get free higher education in England?

Quick Reply

Latest