Question on Finding Rate of Reaction by Titration

Watch this thread
Alpha-Omega
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Here's the method:

1. Measure out sample of reactants with known concentration.
2. Mix them together, start a clock and stir the mixture thoroughly.
3. At regular time intervals, withdraw samples using a pipette and quench (stop/slow down)
the reaction. The time at which half the contents of the pipette have been added
to the quenching solution is noted.
4. The quenched solution is then titrated against a suitable titrant.

On Step 3, why only half? Why not all of the contents in the pipette?
nmudz_009
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Alpha-Omega)
Here's the method:

3. At regular time intervals, withdraw samples using a pipette and quench (stop/slow down)
the reaction. The time at which half the contents of the pipette have been added
to the quenching solution is noted.

This unit 5 chemistry isn't it? Did it before christmas but I completely forgot tho but it's part of the method so there's a simple reason check your notes
Alpha-Omega
Rep:
(Original post by nmudz_009)
This unit 5 chemistry isn't it? Did it before christmas but I completely forgot tho but it's part of the method so there's a simple reason check your notes
I don't have any notes for it as I had been doing the AS modules since Sept. I just started
today on A2 (Unit 4 on Edexcel).

There is only one page about this topic in the textbook I'm using and only one line
in the CGP revision guide and it doesn't mention the reason why only half is used.
I doubt this would be asked in the exam, but I want to understand the whole process, because it makes remembering it easier.
charco
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
Here's the method:

3. At regular time intervals, withdraw samples using a pipette and quench (stop/slow down) the reaction.

The time at which half the contents of the pipette have been added to the quenching solution is noted.

The moment the first drop arrives from the pipette it starts quenching. But the stuff still in the pipette doesn't.
The half time is taken as the average between the start time and the time it's all added.
Alpha-Omega
Rep:
(Original post by charco)
The moment the first drop arrives from the pipette it starts quenching. But the stuff still in the pipette doesn't.
The half time is taken as the average between the start time and the time it's all added.
That makes sense.

You're right, it actually has a simple reason.

Off-topic question, but is a colorimeter a type of spectrophotometer?
charco
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
That makes sense.

You're right, it actually has a simple reason.

Off-topic question, but is a colorimeter a type of spectrophotometer?
Yes, a colorimeter is a spectrometer that only operates in the visible region of the spectrum and generally uses colour bands by means of filters, rather than specific wavelengths.
Ellie.Ginger
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Isn't the time same for all the samples taken from the solution mixture?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (21)
32.31%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (24)
36.92%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
3.08%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
4.62%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
6.15%
I’m starting to consider my university options (9)
13.85%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (1)
1.54%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.54%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise