The Student Room Group

AQA A2 BIOL5 22nd June 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EffKayy
45/75 :/
Going to fail..

mate, do the calculations and you would realise that you can afford to slip up on this paper and still get your A overall.

Remember that 45+20 (from the essay you'll get) = 65 which is an A.
So scared got unit 4 resit and this Biology can be such BS at times im just hoping I can pull out the 208/240 ums I need due to that stupid C in the Isa.
Original post by Akbar2k7
So scared got unit 4 resit and this Biology can be such BS at times im just hoping I can pull out the 208/240 ums I need due to that stupid C in the Isa.

Same, what grade are you taking into account for needing 208 ums?

I need 172/240 to get into uni (either UEA or Reading)

:woo: you put reading as your firm

it's my insurance but i think i'll end up there haha
Reply 783
Original post by James A
oh i see, whoops :teehee: :teehee: i didn't realise you guys were talking about a biol5 past paper and here's me thinking you guys were talking about the biol4 exam in jan :rofl:

I'm presuming you need an A to meet your offer? What course did you apply for ? :biggrin:

Yeah need an A and Medicine at Manchester :smile:
Original post by Arusa01
Yeah need an A and Medicine at Manchester :smile:

sweeeet!!!

I'm a future pharmacist :cool:

Effkayy is too ironically haha
Reply 785
Original post by James A
sweeeet!!!

Cool cool, and I know haha :P
Reply 786
Original post by James A
sweeeet!!!

why the irony? :colone:
Reply 787
Original post by James A
x

Btw what happened to catchmeifyoucan :frown: he stopped coming on here :[
Original post by EffKayy
why the irony? :colone:

:teehee: because we're on the same forum.......................... ah forget it this joke was dead !

Original post by EffKayy
Btw what happened to catchmeifyoucan :frown: he stopped coming on here :[

Well I guess someone caught 'catchmeifyoucan' loooooooooooooool :rofl: :rofl:
Can someone explain what we need to know about the control of heart rate? do we learn chemoreceptors and pressure receptors separately? do they both carry out the same role? its confusing me, looking at the nelson thornes, help appreciated
Original post by BodybuildinPassion
Can someone explain what we need to know about the control of heart rate? do we learn chemoreceptors and pressure receptors separately? do they both carry out the same role? its confusing me, looking at the nelson thornes, help appreciated

Chemoreceptors (in carotid artery and aorta) -> detect high concentration of c02 / low blood ph -> send nerve impulses to the medulla -> medulla sends nerve impulses to the SAN of the heart (via the sympathetic nervous system) -> SAN causes an increase in heart rate.

For pressure receptors, it's the same as the above but Baroreceptors rather than chemoreceptors and, replace the detection of c02/ph with pressure.
Reply 791
Original post by James A
mate, do the calculations and you would realise that you can afford to slip up on this paper and still get your A overall.

Remember that 45+20 (from the essay you'll get) = 65 which is an A.

james, you have actually increased my confidence upon this exam :smile:
Original post by James A

I need one A that has to come from either Chem or Biology, both are equally unlikely however not impossible.

I need 208 /240 in biology for an A since I got D or C in the stupid ISA, however my AS is a scrape A so now I need to counteract that appalling ISA.
for Chem I need around 212/240 since i resat unit 1 and unit 4. That means an average of about 90% of the ums in both papers however Im hoping I did better in unit to give me some leeway unit 5. Its annoying in chem all my AS grades are worse than my A2 grades vice versa for biology.

Need one A the stress is killing me however im letting unlimited COD and PC in the summer motivate me lol.

Unit 5 bio is on my Bday and is my last exam lmao.
What essays are people planning for?
I'm thinking that I might focus on movement: diffusion, osmosis, active transport etc and energy: ATP, energy through food chains/trophic levels, photosynthesis etc.
Reply 794
My Biology teacher thinks it might be on structure and function of proteins. She predicted last years and got them right but, can never be too sure. Re took Unit 1 and 2 in January so I'm not bothering looking at AS stuff again as it's still fresh in my mind. Unit 5 will be horrific
Original post by sam_23
My Biology teacher thinks it might be on structure and function of proteins. She predicted last years and got them right but, can never be too sure. Re took Unit 1 and 2 in January so I'm not bothering looking at AS stuff again as it's still fresh in my mind. Unit 5 will be horrific

Thanks! I wonder how sure she is, because its quite hard to predict really, do you have any idea how she predicted last year, or was it just a guess? i hope shes right aha :smile:
Reply 796
why are fluroescent markers, enzyme markers and antibiotic resistance markers used if you have already found the bacteria cells that have taken up plasmids?
Reply 797
Original post by rss.914
why are fluroescent markers, enzyme markers and antibiotic resistance markers used if you have already found the bacteria cells that have taken up plasmids?

To identify which of the plasmids have taken up the 'gene of interest'.
Reply 798
Original post by Heyimdec
To identify which of the plasmids have taken up the 'gene of interest'.

what does that mean?
Reply 799
Original post by James A

My firm is UEA for Biomedicine :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending