Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How many people have a reading week in week7 each semester?

I have one next week and I think Im the only person who would prefer not to have one. I have 3 lectures and 1 seminar all week and a lot of people are going home so I think Im going to be very bored. I was the only person left in our flat in the reading week last semester and had nothing to do at all.

How many unis have a reading week?

ReputationRep:
    For Essex it depends on the department. History is having a reading week this week (so is Philosophy, I think). Some departments don't have reading weeks at all (Politics, Economics). I'm not sure, but Law might have one per term. Don't really know about the other departments.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tommyboy)
    For Essex it depends on the department. History is having a reading week this week (so is Philosophy, I think). Some departments don't have reading weeks at all (Politics, Economics). I'm not sure, but Law might have one per term. Don't really know about the other departments.
    Are you at Essex then tommyboy? Incidenty Maths (my department) don't get a reading week. Neither does AFM (accounting finance managerment) Though comp sci have one this week.

ReputationRep:
    We don't get a reading week, cos apparently physicists can't read (one of our lecturers making a joke last term).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loftx)
    Are you at Essex then tommyboy? Incidenty Maths (my department) don't get a reading week. Neither does AFM (accounting finance managerment) Though comp sci have one this week.
    Huh, that's odd - it's the other way round here (UEA). I get a reading week doing accountancy, but my housemate, who's doing comp sci doesn't. Well, he kinda doesn't - he has no lectures but workshops and labs are still on. It's like that for comp sci at Exeter too.

And yes, mine's in week 7 - next week. I'm going down to Exeter to see my boyfriend.

Reading? What reading? *looks bemused*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sa-ra-ra-ra)
    Huh, that's odd - it's the other way round here (UEA). I get a reading week doing accountancy, but my housemate, who's doing comp sci doesn't. Well, he kinda doesn't - he has no lectures but workshops and labs are still on. It's like that for comp sci at Exeter too.

And yes, mine's in week 7 - next week. I'm going down to Exeter to see my boyfriend.

Reading? What reading? *looks bemused*

Next week is your week 7?
    Next week is our week 3. We get a reading week each term just a little suggestion why dont you use your reading week to read!!

ReputationRep:
    You don't know how lucky you are to have 'reading weeks'. Every week is a reading week and a working week and a revision week here.
    Why oh why didn't I go to a normal university???
    Guess how many essays I've had this week??? THREE. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chris_)
    How many people have a reading week in week7 each semester?

I have one next week and I think Im the only person who would prefer not to have one. I have 3 lectures and 1 seminar all week and a lot of people are going home so I think Im going to be very bored. I was the only person left in our flat in the reading week last semester and had nothing to do at all.

How many unis have a reading week?
    I get nothing off whatsoever next week, last term I only got Thursday and Friday off the week before everyone else got reading week, so there was only me and the guy that does law here. Its gonna be slightly better next week cos apart from me and the guy doing law, one of the other guys had reading week this week, and the girl that does biology doesn't get reading week either, so at least there'll be four of us here.

ReputationRep:
    Reading week was last week, in week 6 here. I don't get one, but took one anyway and went to India. Apparently there were 4 people left here out of 11 on our corridor.

ReputationRep:
    not even english students get a reading week here! well, the girl in my flat who does english was complaining about it anyway i think

ReputationRep:
    Im doing comp sci at uea and we do get a reading week. I have 3 lectures, 1 seminar and 1 lab session next week. In a normal week I would have 10 lectures 4 hours of labs and 3 seminars.

Where are u staying at uea?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    Most uni's have them but they're usually restricted to Arts degrees (BAs) science and engineering students rarely get a reading week.
    That would explain why so many people here at uea get a reading week as it's mainly an arts uni. I know the biologists and chemists dont get one and the uni doesnt offer any engineering courses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chris_)
    Im doing comp sci at uea and we do get a reading week. I have 3 lectures, 1 seminar and 1 lab session next week. In a normal week I would have 10 lectures 4 hours of labs and 3 seminars.

Where are u staying at uea?
    See? You kinda get a reading week

I'm in Nelson Court. What about you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    You don't know how lucky you are to have 'reading weeks'. Every week is a reading week and a working week and a revision week here.
    Why oh why didn't I go to a normal university???
    Guess how many essays I've had this week??? THREE. :eek:
    You have a short term.

ReputationRep:
    See? You kinda get a reading week

I'm in Nelson Court. What about you?
    The village. I wouldnt want to be anywhere else

ReputationRep:
    But it's bloody miles away! I can get up at 8.50 and still be at my 9am lecture. I love it Plus the LCR is crawling distance away. And the bathrooms over there are pods. Scary little alien pods.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.