The Student Room Group

Are toiletries from poundland the same quality as in other shops?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Yeah it's like false advertising or something to 'water down' branded products. I love the place, I get everything from there hahahaha :biggrin:
today i bought 200ml bottle of vasaline healthy hand a nail cream in the 99p store. Earlier today was going to but a 50ml (bottle i think) for £3.50 in super drug. Glad i put it back now :smile:
If they wartered the products down and marketed them as the same products (and therefore the same quality) as sold in other stores, Poundland would most likely have been closed down a long time ago.

If it's the same product, it's the same quality. Poundland gets cheap stuff from effectively taking advantage of other companies messing up in their own deals or getting stock that a company no longer wants. For example, if Cadbury decided to change the box weight of its Milk Tray then any remaining boxes at the old weight might go to Poundland for a reduced price (because Cadbury no longer wants them anymore). Or if Kellogg's was going to supply Sainsbury's with an order of X boxes of Cornflakes and Sainsbury's suddenly decided it didn't want the order after all, then Kellogg's might offer the products at a reduced price to Poundland in order to make some profit out of the breached contract with Sainsbury's rather than none at all.
Reply 23
Same quality but can imagine the shampoo instructions will be in Lithuanian... ;-) I love Poundland to be honest. It's amazing for sweets, deodrants and toys...
Sometime they're foreign versions but I don't think that matters. I assume that they can only sell products which comply with UK safety standards? so even if it's a bit different or you can't read back, no harm done. Unless it's something you need to read for safety I suppose.
I buy shower gel, soap, shampoo, even some make up from there - I have never had any problems with anything I have bought from there, and think it's a little silly to spend loads of money on something you could get from there.
I don't know if anyone saw Dispatches last night but they secretly interviewed a marketing manager at Poundland who said that the products aren't actually cheaper, they just advertise them in a way which entices people. i.e. 50% extra free to make you feel like you're getting more when you aren't. They price checked as well.
If anyone is interested in what kind of deals and bargains people have found in Poundland, have a look at this page from moneysavingexpert.com. You can skip to the last page for the most recent deals found.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1075283

To be honest - I have the "Grabbit While You Can" page on my top sites, and I have found no end of bargains from various places on there - and a lot of what they call "glitches" both on websites and instore. Last Christmas I got Terry's Chocolate Oranges from Tesco at 27p each, as a BOGOF and a 3for2 were both on the till system - so it applied both when you bought six - that was stocking fillers sorted - Superdrug sporadically do stock clearance events - there is one starting soon - where they sell things off dirt cheap. I got shampoo, cute christmas gift boxes, fake nails, make up, tights, spray tan and condoms last week for well under a fiver!

It is well worth signign up to the site and having a look round if you haven't already- there is a specific student area if you scroll down on the main page. Loads of tips on there for student money saving, cheap recipes, the best student loans, student job opportunities - all sorts! :smile:
Watched this, and was quite interesting. Definitely made me think twice about buying from poundland.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/dispatches/episode-guide/series-119/episode-1
The only thing I've had a problem with from poundland is Dr Pepper. They don't sell it all of the time, but when they do it's in a weird bottle and doesn't look real at all (besides the branding). It's just a plain label with the logo on it. It just doesn't taste right.

But yeah, I've bought shampoos, deodorants and other things from poundland before and not had problems.
Reply 30
Everything in there is the same, they sell the brands off for less than the RRP, if people assume there's something wrong with it or it's watered down just because it's from poundland, it's nothing more than snobbery I'm afraid. But if they're happy to spend 3-4 times more for the same product that's their prerogative...
Original post by geebee
Everything in there is the same, they sell the brands off for less than the RRP, if people assume there's something wrong with it or it's watered down just because it's from poundland, it's nothing more than snobbery I'm afraid. But if they're happy to spend 3-4 times more for the same product that's their prerogative...

Indeed. I suppose I turn my nose up at ridiculously cheap food items though, because generally nutritionally they're horrible, so in that sense I'm a food snob, but for things that don't go in my mouth, I'm happy to try the cheaper products and see how I like them

What annoys me however is how food companies take out some of the rubbish in their products, and then charge me more. Of course I buy them, because they're better for you, but they charge you a premium for NOT adding rubbish in ie: Heinz reduced salt/sugar, Sainsburys be good to yourself, Asda good for you etc...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 32
Original post by de_monies
Indeed. I suppose I turn my nose up at ridiculously cheap food items though, because generally nutritionally they're horrible, so in that sense I'm a food snob, but for things that don't go in my mouth, I'm happy to try the cheaper products and see how I like them

What annoys me however is how food companies take out some of the rubbish in their products, and then charge me more. Of course I buy them, because they're better for you, but they charge you a premium for NOT adding rubbish in ie: Heinz reduced salt/sugar, Sainsburys be good to yourself, Asda good for you etc...

Yeah I was going to say, that doesn't just apply to Poundland XD Yes, that infuriates me too, why should I pay through the nose for my health?:mad:
Original post by katetaylor
I don't know if anyone saw Dispatches last night but they secretly interviewed a marketing manager at Poundland who said that the products aren't actually cheaper, they just advertise them in a way which entices people. i.e. 50% extra free to make you feel like you're getting more when you aren't. They price checked as well.

I thought that people knew that poundland can be quite pricey for a lot of stuff? Most of the stuff in poundland, I tend to be able to find cheaper elsewhere. I only tend to use it for postal and cleaning supplies
[QUOTE='rach [shikari];39640420']Watched this, and was quite interesting. Definitely made me think twice about buying from poundland.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/dispatches/episode-guide/series-119/episode-1

Alot of the products they compared were on offer. Lots of the products were the same- and popular. Everyone needs things to clean their bathrooms with, lots of people eat breakfast cereal. We are in a recession at the moment- the supermarket are going to put the "popular" items on sale to pull people in.
Original post by de_monies
I thought that people knew that poundland can be quite pricey for a lot of stuff? Most of the stuff in poundland, I tend to be able to find cheaper elsewhere. I only tend to use it for postal and cleaning supplies

People still think it's cheaper. I've found lots of snack type things at the same price in Sainbury's. It's slightly ridiculous!
People still think it's cheaper. I've found lots of snack type things at the same price in Sainbury's. It's slightly ridiculous!

Branded? Not on offer?
Worth watching this recent Dispatches episode on Poundland's success and business tactics. http://www.channel4.com/programmes/dispatches/episode-guide/series-119/episode-1

They said no such thing. They said that the manufacturers will often put 50% extra free etc. on it - but not that it isn't cheaper. Plenty of things, even though the "offer" is misleading, are still cheaper than elsewhere.

And the prices they checked were blatantly biased. They went and found the special offers in ASDA and then compared them. Apparently the cereal that was £1 in ASDA at the time is now something like £2.80, and the Nutella is something like £2.60 (not exact prices, but in that range). I could walk into Waitrose right now, pick out a few special offers then go around telling everyone how much cheaper Waitrose is than ASDA. It categorically isn't, that one thing is temporarily cheaper.

You should question documentaries that you see more instead of just accepting them! It seems to me that they couldn't actually find much dirt on Poundland so had to resort to a smear campaign to justify the programme!
Original post by iammarmite
Branded? Not on offer?

Yes. The Cadbury's Mini Animal biscuits (my personal favourite) are a pound at both places.

Quick Reply

Latest