This discussion is closed.
starry
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hohoho!

I'm doing 3 AEAs this year (Bio Chem and History) and STEP. I find the papers very interesting so I'm actually looking forward to them.
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by claire1985)
If you fail, you get a U. The only reason I know this is that my boyfriend did Chem AEA last year,it looked very funny on his certificate!
A U???? Holy cow! Lolz.. is this the same cert with all my other results? Coz' I'm getting seriously scared. Hehe.. thanks for the info though
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by starry)
Hohoho!

I'm doing 3 AEAs this year (Bio Chem and History) and STEP. I find the papers very interesting so I'm actually looking forward to them.
Are you like REALLY smart or something? Geez.. I remember you! The one taking 6 subjects! you take Lit and the 2 Maths as well right?
lgs98jonee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
do u know that u can do an AEA in General Studies?
claire1985
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by lgs98jonee)
do u know that u can do an AEA in General Studies?
Would you want to do it? No i don't think they do, have a look on Edexcel website
butterflew
Report 16 years ago
I did the English AEA, and as my last exam it was a really nice way to finish A levels. It was completely relaxed, unlike others subjects where you know what you know, you know exactly how you are going to write any essay that comes up, and you just start churning straight away. i was nrevous beforehand because I though that my reading just wasn't wide enough, but I actually enjoyed it. we had an hour at the start to decide on which main question to do, and read through all the texts and mull it over. we then had two hours, for a smaller question and a larger essay question.
As far as I can tell, what they are impressed by is your own particular angle (I think this is explained within the paper, and it might be worth having a look at a past paper to understand what they mean) and even cross referencing to other books/ poems/ drama etc.
I'm pleased I did it- and I would recommend that people do them in either the subjects you are excellent at or just the ones you want to do at uni: particularly for post a level applicants. I don't know how it would work for more factual subjects like chemistry as opposed to more interprative (is that a word?) subjects like English, but its worth a shot.
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by butterflew)
I'm pleased I did it- and I would recommend that people do them in either the subjects you are excellent at or just the ones you want to do at uni: particularly for post a level applicants. I don't know how it would work for more factual subjects like chemistry as opposed to more interprative (is that a word?) subjects like English, but its worth a shot.
What a great attitude! I'm supposing you did really well for it.. good on you!
butterflew
Report 16 years ago
well, yes i did, but i'd just like to point out that it is not really that important except for boosting your own ego! i was the only one out of 5 to get a dist. But 3 of the others got into cambridge, and another girl from my school got in for english without doing it, so really its not that big a deal, just a nice way to finish exams
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
They're a replacement for the old S levels (yup that's right it used to go AS (but noone took them), A, then S (I think it stood for supplimentary or special or something similar). They were incredibly rare (rarer than AS's under the old system).
Hmmm.. In South East Asia they're still really common. Most of my friends doing the old A Levels in Singapore take 3 S Papers.. usually for the 3 sciences of course.
yawn1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by claire1985)
If you fail, you get a U. The only reason I know this is that my boyfriend did Chem AEA last year,it looked very funny on his certificate!
If you get an 'unclassified' it is uncertificated (only a notification on summary of results which are not officially acceptable as certificates are) so you don't get a certificate for it. It's as though it never happened! I suppose many would say 'just as well!!'
yawn1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
They're a replacement for the old S levels (yup that's right it used to go AS (but noone took them), A, then S (I think it stood for supplimentary or special or something similar). They were incredibly rare (rarer than AS's under the old system).
Weren't S papers known as 'scholarship' papers specifically for the applicants who were going to get scholarship funding from Oxbridge? At least that was my understanding but I stand corrected if I'm wrong.
claire1985
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by yawn1)
If you get an 'unclassified' it is uncertificated (only a notification on summary of results which are not officially acceptable as certificates are) so you don't get a certificate for it. It's as though it never happened! I suppose many would say 'just as well!!'
I don't mean the actual certificates, i mean the piece of paper that you get on results day, sorry!
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by yawn1)
Weren't S papers known as 'scholarship' papers specifically for the applicants who were going to get scholarship funding from Oxbridge? At least that was my understanding but I stand corrected if I'm wrong.
In Singapore they're known as "Special Papers"...
starry
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by lilsunflower)
Are you like REALLY smart or something? Geez.. I remember you! The one taking 6 subjects! you take Lit and the 2 Maths as well right?
Not smart. Just strange.
theycallmemrpig
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
STEP stands for Sixth Term Entry Paper,

most people in our school are doing AEA, with the exception of a few people. I myself am doing AEAs in bio and chem, pretty much for a laugh since i havent put them down on my ucas form.

According to my teacher these exams are designed to test how you think as say a biologist or chemist etc

Should be pretty fun though, the chem aea is my last exam and then i'm off to singapore on the same day !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HammaL
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i;m doing economics AEA... :mad:
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by HamaL)
i;m doing economics AEA... :mad:
I feel sorry for you.
VoodooDoll
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i'm doing a AEA in critical thinking *scared* :eek:
emom100
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
havn't you got enough exams to be getting on with/stressing about?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How will you be receiving your results?

Going into school to pick them up (181)
33.46%
Receiving them online / by email (270)
49.91%
I still don't know (90)
16.64%

Watched Threads