Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hohoho!

I'm doing 3 AEAs this year (Bio Chem and History) and STEP. I find the papers very interesting so I'm actually looking forward to them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claire1985)
    If you fail, you get a U. The only reason I know this is that my boyfriend did Chem AEA last year,it looked very funny on his certificate!
    A U???? Holy cow! Lolz.. is this the same cert with all my other results? Coz' I'm getting seriously scared. Hehe.. thanks for the info though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starry)
    Hohoho!

I'm doing 3 AEAs this year (Bio Chem and History) and STEP. I find the papers very interesting so I'm actually looking forward to them.
    Are you like REALLY smart or something? Geez.. I remember you! The one taking 6 subjects! you take Lit and the 2 Maths as well right?

ReputationRep:
    do u know that u can do an AEA in General Studies?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lgs98jonee)
    do u know that u can do an AEA in General Studies?
    Would you want to do it? No i don't think they do, have a look on Edexcel website

ReputationRep:
    I did the English AEA, and as my last exam it was a really nice way to finish A levels. It was completely relaxed, unlike others subjects where you know what you know, you know exactly how you are going to write any essay that comes up, and you just start churning straight away. i was nrevous beforehand because I though that my reading just wasn't wide enough, but I actually enjoyed it. we had an hour at the start to decide on which main question to do, and read through all the texts and mull it over. we then had two hours, for a smaller question and a larger essay question.
    As far as I can tell, what they are impressed by is your own particular angle (I think this is explained within the paper, and it might be worth having a look at a past paper to understand what they mean) and even cross referencing to other books/ poems/ drama etc.
    I'm pleased I did it- and I would recommend that people do them in either the subjects you are excellent at or just the ones you want to do at uni: particularly for post a level applicants. I don't know how it would work for more factual subjects like chemistry as opposed to more interprative (is that a word?) subjects like English, but its worth a shot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by butterflew)
    I'm pleased I did it- and I would recommend that people do them in either the subjects you are excellent at or just the ones you want to do at uni: particularly for post a level applicants. I don't know how it would work for more factual subjects like chemistry as opposed to more interprative (is that a word?) subjects like English, but its worth a shot.
    What a great attitude! I'm supposing you did really well for it.. good on you!

ReputationRep:
    well, yes i did, but i'd just like to point out that it is not really that important except for boosting your own ego! i was the only one out of 5 to get a dist. But 3 of the others got into cambridge, and another girl from my school got in for english without doing it, so really its not that big a deal, just a nice way to finish exams

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    They're a replacement for the old S levels (yup that's right it used to go AS (but noone took them), A, then S (I think it stood for supplimentary or special or something similar). They were incredibly rare (rarer than AS's under the old system).
    Hmmm.. In South East Asia they're still really common. Most of my friends doing the old A Levels in Singapore take 3 S Papers.. usually for the 3 sciences of course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claire1985)
    If you fail, you get a U. The only reason I know this is that my boyfriend did Chem AEA last year,it looked very funny on his certificate!
    If you get an 'unclassified' it is uncertificated (only a notification on summary of results which are not officially acceptable as certificates are) so you don't get a certificate for it. It's as though it never happened! I suppose many would say 'just as well!!'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    They're a replacement for the old S levels (yup that's right it used to go AS (but noone took them), A, then S (I think it stood for supplimentary or special or something similar). They were incredibly rare (rarer than AS's under the old system).
    Weren't S papers known as 'scholarship' papers specifically for the applicants who were going to get scholarship funding from Oxbridge? At least that was my understanding but I stand corrected if I'm wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    If you get an 'unclassified' it is uncertificated (only a notification on summary of results which are not officially acceptable as certificates are) so you don't get a certificate for it. It's as though it never happened! I suppose many would say 'just as well!!'
    I don't mean the actual certificates, i mean the piece of paper that you get on results day, sorry!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    Weren't S papers known as 'scholarship' papers specifically for the applicants who were going to get scholarship funding from Oxbridge? At least that was my understanding but I stand corrected if I'm wrong.
    In Singapore they're known as "Special Papers"...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilsunflower)
    Are you like REALLY smart or something? Geez.. I remember you! The one taking 6 subjects! you take Lit and the 2 Maths as well right?
    Not smart. Just strange.

ReputationRep:
    STEP stands for Sixth Term Entry Paper,

most people in our school are doing AEA, with the exception of a few people. I myself am doing AEAs in bio and chem, pretty much for a laugh since i havent put them down on my ucas form.

According to my teacher these exams are designed to test how you think as say a biologist or chemist etc

Should be pretty fun though, the chem aea is my last exam and then i'm off to singapore on the same day !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    i;m doing economics AEA... :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HamaL)
    i;m doing economics AEA... :mad:
    I feel sorry for you.

ReputationRep:
    i'm doing a AEA in critical thinking *scared* :eek:

ReputationRep:
    havn't you got enough exams to be getting on with/stressing about?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 22, 2004
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.