The Student Room Group

History A2 coursework word limit. Help!

Hi,
I was just wondering exactly what the policy on going over the word limit in A2 history coursework is. In our guidelines, it says it should be around 2500 - 3000 words and must not exceed this. At the moment i've written about 3300 and i've got loads left to do, probably about another 1000. Im really worried now because somebody told me that the examiner stops reading after 3000! Arghhh! I don't know how i can cut it down really so i don't know what to do!
Thanks a lot!
Sophie : )

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yup they stop reading at 3000.
Reply 2
its ok... dont panic. What i find its best to do, is write everything you want, and then go through and take it all out. Honestly after re-reading it a few times you will probably see sentences that dont need to be there/ where yu've repeated yourself a little bit.

Ask your teacher for help...

Vicki x
Reply 3
Dont worry. For my AS level coursework I ended up 2000 words over the word limit, and I managed to cut it down to under the limit, whilst still getting a good grade. Therefore it is not impossible.
yeah mine was 3600 wen i finished it but i managed to cut it down
Reply 5
We got told the limit was 3,500 with the average being 3,000. Mine is currently 3,800. Uh oh.
Couple of tips...

-Is this word processed? If so, print it out and manually count the words. You may be surprised... Word counts every piece of punctuation as 1 word!

-It really is possible to trim down the coursework by a lot by really ruthlessly going through what you've written. I was removing single words, like "However", and using expressions and metaphors with the least number of words in to cut down!

BUT I really must ask you to check with your teacher about the exam boards' policy on exceeding the word count. Some exam boards like mine, Edexcel (I think), stipulate that any candidate going even one word over teh word limit cannot get higher than half marks, even if the essay is perfect! :O You're expected to state how many words the piece is, and sign a paper to say that that's right- and, if it turns out that you've lied and it's over the wordcount, unfortunately you're in trouble...
Reply 7
FadeToBlackout

-Is this word processed? If so, print it out and manually count the words. You may be surprised... Word counts every piece of punctuation as 1 word!

No it doesn't! I just did a trial run of this with my German c/wk because the idea scared me!

Hey, my history essay was 2,997 words and I got told to take 100 out because it looked "too cocky" to be that close to the limit.
Reply 8
Remember one thing: Examiners have thousands of papers to go through. Put yourself into their place, you wouldn't want to make that extra effort if it was midnight and someone hadn't read the guidelines. I mean one of the most important things with exams is that examiner's want to make sure you can read instructions.
Reply 9
Going over the word limit initially isn't too bad because they will take things into consideration but i would not go over by alot because it will be noticible and the examiner will get bored of reading the cw
Reply 10
watch out everyone - limits vary from Board to Board - so does how overlength coursework is dealt with.
If you are doing OCR Girlgerms & Lettuce, examiners DO stop rewading at 3000 words - there si NO leeway at all !!!!!!!!
Reply 11
philjw

Hey, my history essay was 2,997 words and I got told to take 100 out because it looked "too cocky" to be that close to the limit.

I think that is really stupid! Otherwise, what is the point of having a 3,000 word limit, and not 2,900?
at the end of the day, being around the limit is a risk. one examiner may well read 3150 words and another will shave of the extra 150, thereby missing ur conclusion, u gotta decided howe risky it is
Oh no, mine is 5300 words and I have to cut it down to 3000. :frown:

I don't know how much of it I can cut without sacrificing my line of argument.
Reply 14
IS it as strict for GCSE if known , because i have written about 1000 words over (1500 word limit), and have been told it is excelent, i have already cut it down from before. But do you know if i can still get an A*, if it is A* standard, but im over the word limit.
Reply 15
My school does the 17th century Great Rebellion option for A2 c/w. Our teachers told us that the world limit was between 3 and 4000 words with a 10% allowance either way.

I haven't written half of mine yet and I've written almost 2800 words. I've always had the problem of writing too much, I worry that unless I write loads then I won't have covered enough of the argument or included enough facts.

My advice is to drop out of school and get a full time job.
Reply 16
Will
Oh no, mine is 5300 words and I have to cut it down to 3000. :frown:

I don't know how much of it I can cut without sacrificing my line of argument.

Sounds to me like you've just got too much content in there if you're almost twice the word limit! Brevity may nor may not be the soul of wit, but it remains a virtue.

Mine was quite long on the first draft, but then I was told that you don't get any marks for purely descriptive stuff - so I cut it out and kept only the analytical parts of the essay. The examiner expects you to know, for example, what collectivisation in the 1930's involved; but is only interested in how you use that to shape your argument, not hearing a long description of it.
Reply 17
Pike
watch out everyone - limits vary from Board to Board - so does how overlength coursework is dealt with.
If you are doing OCR Girlgerms & Lettuce, examiners DO stop rewading at 3000 words - there si NO leeway at all !!!!!!!!

No, I'm AQA. We got told that it should be between a minimum of 2,500 and a maximum of 3,500.
Reply 18
i have just got my word limit for my coursework and it is a 1000 and if i go much high then that then they take away points
Reply 19
philjw
No it doesn't! I just did a trial run of this with my German c/wk because the idea scared me!

Haha. Mine is 2997.

I'm not too worried :wink: