The Student Room Group

Dropping out of uni

Ive just started second semester and finding it really hard to adjust. I absolutely loved first semester, but now it feels like I dont belong. Everyone has moved on, I constantly feel like a third wheel when around my friends, and I can't stand being alone (which is all the time because i'm only in uni 9hrs a week). I feel like i'm wasting my life here. My dad has just one GCSE and he's the most successful man i know! Why do i need to be here, if he can make it without a degree, why can't i? I know these sound like stupid reasons, but I dont want to be here any more. What do you think I should do?
Wasting your life... how?
Reply 2
I'd stick it out for a bit. It may slightly depend on what uni you go to, but it is really unlikely going to uni works out badly in the long run.
Reply 3
Hey, I've gone through more or less the same thing you've described there. But didn't even manage to pull through the first semester. You've done better so thumbs up to yourself.

Life's real simple, do the things you enjoy doing. If you don't know yet your like and dislikes, either follow your heart, or the persons you trust. See what they are telling you, like your dad, in this case. At least you won't regret a decision in retrospect.

Cheers.
Reply 4
Original post by LouiseC1
Ive just started second semester and finding it really hard to adjust. I absolutely loved first semester, but now it feels like I dont belong. Everyone has moved on, I constantly feel like a third wheel when around my friends, and I can't stand being alone (which is all the time because i'm only in uni 9hrs a week). I feel like i'm wasting my life here. My dad has just one GCSE and he's the most successful man i know! Why do i need to be here, if he can make it without a degree, why can't i? I know these sound like stupid reasons, but I dont want to be here any more. What do you think I should do?

If you feel you're wasting your time then fair enough drop out, but don't kid yourself that things still work this way. Back when our parents were our age, the minority went to university, and having a degree made you something special. Now it's become the norm, and trying to find a decent job without one is next to impossible... Not that finding one WITH one is an easy shout right now.
I know of a person who barely scraped out of their GCSEs with a few Cs...and it took them more than one attempt. After which they did only two A-Levels, went to uni and ten years down the line, they were selling a franchise for their business and driving a Porsche.

If you think have that kind of flair *or better* (think Steve Jobs, Bill Gates - both of which dropped out of prestigious institutions...) and can make good use of it, by all means, go for it. Having said that, I think you should buckle up and get your degree. If you were accepted, means the admissions committee thought you were good enough to graduate...or they just wanted your money.

Whichever the case may be, it would be in your favour to have the safety cushion of a graduate job in case your start-up (I'm assuming that's what your dad did?) crashes down. In fact, it's a bad idea to *not* have a day job while trying to make a start-up work.
Reply 6
if you're going to drop out, you need to think about things such as student finance and whether your accommodation contract last a year or not (trust me this is the bane of my life at the minute, i still have to pay for mine because i can't find anyone to fill my room. i have to come up with 2900 quid from my own pocket because i don't get a loan anymore :frown: )

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending