emmalu
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I've got two offers and don't know which to choose:
LSE MSc Management(2 years) vs UCL MSc Management(1 year).

Both schools enjoyed great reputation, but LSE is much better in the business field. The LSE programme is well-organised as a conversion programme and has lots of elective courses to choose from. However, the LSE programme lasts for two years and thus doubles the cost. It's a bit too expensive for me.

On the other hand, UCL doesn't have a bschool, I dont know whether it would be a wise choice to study management in UCL. It does have a consultancy project attracts me though, but there's no much infomation about it since it's a quite new programme. According to the school's website, consultancy work will be carried out for a client company, usually small enterprises. And the consultancy teams may include students from LBS via the HELO Project.

Could anybody share some insights and advices with me?

Thanks a lot!
Hanshen
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I have no experience of either course, but I also have been applying for MiM programmes this time around. I liked the look for the UCL programme over the LSE, for pretty much the same reasons you just stated. The consultancy project in particular looked to be really promising. I don't think that UCL would hold you back, it's certainly a great university and has all the geographic advantages of LSE.

Both are great universities and neither is a bad choice, you're certainly in an extremely lucky position whatever you do

All the best,
H
emmalu
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hanshen)
I have no experience of either course, but I also have been applying for MiM programmes this time around. I liked the look for the UCL programme over the LSE, for pretty much the same reasons you just stated. The consultancy project in particular looked to be really promising. I don't think that UCL would hold you back, it's certainly a great university and has all the geographic advantages of LSE.

Both are great universities and neither is a bad choice, you're certainly in an extremely lucky position whatever you do

All the best,
H
Thanks for your reply! Are you going to Warwick or still waiting for other offers?
Hanshen
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by emmalu)
Thanks for your reply! Are you going to Warwick or still waiting for other offers?
Well I have 2 more application from Cambridge to come back, even so I'll probably stick with Warwick. Not sure atm, but the wbs scholarship is really appealing considering it will save me a load of money. It depends really, Cambridge would be hard to turn down, but I'm just not sure it's 11k better than Warwick.
zziippoo
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I think it is better to choose the one year program because you can finish earlier and try to get a job. Since UCL is really good as university there is no reason to spend two years for MSc Management at LSE.
takemeLSE
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Ive got the same offer from UCL as well. Similarly, i have to choose between LSE and UCL as well, the programme for LSE is MSc Accounting Organisations and Institutions. I am looking to pursue a career in the consultancy industry, and both programs direct students onto that path, so its really a hard decision to make. I have to admit LSE has got slightly more prestige, but I am really not sure if the AOI program can give me a career that I want, in comparison, the UCL program looks very appealing to me, the practical experience is invaluable.
me_1419
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I am a current student on this course. To be honest I regret choosing it. I did not do enough research and was unaware that it is fairly new. The course is very badly structured, the only course I truly enjoyed was accounting. But a price of 13,000£ for one course sounds expensive. Their careers support is a joke. They forced people to attend their career lectures regardless of experience or age. Moreover, the careers are assessed, such that we had to submit cv + cover letter for the first term and a 1 to 1 interview for the second term. I mean this might make sense for somebody seeking employment, but is completely unrealistic for people that already have a job. The problem with this course is that it's not yet tailored to student's needs. Also, the department has a silly policy of allocating marks (the course is more than 50% coursework assessed). It is basically impossible to get more than 75. Also, marks need to fit some silly distribution, and that's why sometimes you get a random mark no matter the effort you make for your coursework. It's more about luck rather than rewarding effort. During my undergrad, students were rewarded for effort. Somebody that did no work whatsoever could get a 0, while somebody brilliant would get 100. Here it's virtually impossible to get less than 50 (or you would fail and thus ruin their statistics), but it's impossible to get 70 as they would lose their accreditation. The issue with this is, that students know they can get 50 with no work, so they have no reason to produce an outstanding piece of work, especially when marks are allocated randomly. If I were you I would go to LSE, and get myself a good degree. Also the consultancy project is not as promising as it looks.
Hope this helps
me_1419
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Also, in terms of job prospects, I have to say that there is a very small number of people that actually secured jobs so far (graduate schemes). Most of them have been advised to go for the so called "plan B" - carry on looking for opportunities?!
zziippoo
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by me_1419)
I am a current student on this course. To be honest I regret choosing it. I did not do enough research and was unaware that it is fairly new. The course is very badly structured, the only course I truly enjoyed was accounting. But a price of 13,000£ for one course sounds expensive. Their careers support is a joke. They forced people to attend their career lectures regardless of experience or age. Moreover, the careers are assessed, such that we had to submit cv + cover letter for the first term and a 1 to 1 interview for the second term. I mean this might make sense for somebody seeking employment, but is completely unrealistic for people that already have a job. The problem with this course is that it's not yet tailored to student's needs. Also, the department has a silly policy of allocating marks (the course is more than 50% coursework assessed). It is basically impossible to get more than 75. Also, marks need to fit some silly distribution, and that's why sometimes you get a random mark no matter the effort you make for your coursework. It's more about luck rather than rewarding effort. I find myself stuck in the 65-71 range regardless of the content. During my undergrad, students were rewarded for effort. Somebody that did no work whatsoever could get a 0, while somebody brilliant would get 100. Here it's virtually impossible to get less than 50 (or you would fail and thus ruin their statistics), but it's impossible to get 70 as they would lose their accreditation. The issue with this is, that students know they can get 50 with no work, so they have no reason to produce an outstanding piece of work, especially when marks are allocated randomly. If I were you I would go to LSE, and get myself a good degree. Also the consultancy project is not as promising as it looks.
Hope this helps
Thank you for the info. Could you please tell me if you had business/management background ? I applied as well for MSc Management and the main reason that I sent my application form is because is UCL. The admission office told me that they create two teams, one for students with management degree and one without. Also they told me that you can choose a pathway. Are all these true? I asked the department why they do not have these information on the website and she replied saying that they gonna change the website. but still nothing.. Could you please tell me why you choose UCL MSc in Management and not Imperial or Cass?

thx
me_1419
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I heard about the two teams idea, however I don't think it's going to work as well as they think. People that have experience tend to be better prepared, and therefore the lecturers are likely to consider the "less experienced group" as weaker and thus pitch topics and material at a different level - which is not particularly good, as you end up not learning much at all. Also, most subjects lack structure, they are still experimenting and for most of them the material taught is purely common sense or not relevant. Out of the 8 subjects I took, I will possibly end up enjoying two of them: accounting last term and marketing this term. Subjects such as org behaviour, economics or business strategy are a waste of time. I didn't personally learn anything, and feel I wasted my time. I chose UCL because it was much cheaper, and I do regret it(I really do!!). I think you can't put a price on your degree and you should always go for the best (Imperial, LSE).
emmalu
Rep:
?
Also, in terms of job prospects, I have to say that there is a very small number of people that actually secured jobs so far (graduate schemes). Most of them have been advised to go for the so called "plan B" - carry on looking for opportunities?!
Thank you so much for the detailed info!!! Could you tell me more about the consulting project? What companies would there be? I don't have any work experience, so this practical part is quite important to me. Besides, how did the courses make you feel poorly-structured? Was it too easy? Involved many aspects but learnt just a little bit in every aspect? How did you think about the teachers? I've heard that the teachers were quite good?
me_1419
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The consulting project can take place anytime during the year. You can choose to do as many HELO projects as you wish, but you'll write your dissertation on one only. I have yet to do my consulting project, but some of the companies/projects available look quite disappointing to me. There is a small no of firms that are "relatively" known, but most of them are anonymous . Most courses have a very poor structure. We are given a lot of reading (some courses have around 100 pages per lecture), and then the lecturer sometimes doesn't even mention the reading, or the lecture is completely irrelevant to the actual reading. Some topics are not covered in enough depth. Some courses put a lot of emphasis on easy concepts, and then skip other much harder (and very important) concepts. Some of the lecturers are brilliant, absolutely brilliant (accounting, marketing), whereas others lack motivation and enthusiasm, and other things that should not be mentioned on a forum . Some courses are easy but poor teaching makes them a lot harder, e.g. Finance. In a nutshell, they have a lot of things to improve.
iampudge
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I am a current student on this course. To be honest I regret choosing it. I did not do enough research and was unaware that it is fairly new. The course is very badly structured, the only course I truly enjoyed was accounting. But a price of 13,000£ for one course sounds expensive. Their careers support is a joke. They forced people to attend their career lectures regardless of experience or age. Moreover, the careers are assessed, such that we had to submit cv + cover letter for the first term and a 1 to 1 interview for the second term. I mean this might make sense for somebody seeking employment, but is completely unrealistic for people that already have a job. The problem with this course is that it's not yet tailored to student's needs. Also, the department has a silly policy of allocating marks (the course is more than 50% coursework assessed). It is basically impossible to get more than 75. Also, marks need to fit some silly distribution, and that's why sometimes you get a random mark no matter the effort you make for your coursework. It's more about luck rather than rewarding effort. During my undergrad, students were rewarded for effort. Somebody that did no work whatsoever could get a 0, while somebody brilliant would get 100. Here it's virtually impossible to get less than 50 (or you would fail and thus ruin their statistics), but it's impossible to get 70 as they would lose their accreditation. The issue with this is, that students know they can get 50 with no work, so they have no reason to produce an outstanding piece of work, especially when marks are allocated randomly. If I were you I would go to LSE, and get myself a good degree. Also the consultancy project is not as promising as it looks.
Hope this helps
thanks so much for the info, i was gonna apply but i think i'll spend the application fee on something else
takemeLSE
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by iampudge)
thanks so much for the info, i was gonna apply but i think i'll spend the application fee on something else
DO NOT be put off by other's comments. you never know how good/bad it is before you actually be on that course. After all it is UCL, a G5 institution.
Akkuz
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by takemeLSE)
DO NOT be put off by other's comments. you never know how good/bad it is before you actually be on that course. After all it is UCL, a G5 institution.
G5 or no G5, UCL doesn't even have a business school.

It might be good for other disciplines but certainly not business.
Hanshen
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Let's be fair, the guy is on the course currently, and if giving his/her insight, which is undoubtedly better than our speculation based on ranking criteria. There are moans on here constantly about how people rely to heavily on ranking criteria, I think it would be rather myopic of us to ignore someone's lived experience when it's offered!

I would say UCL has certainly gone down in my expectation after hearing that report, although I had heard once previously that their relative newness in this discipline was to their detriment.
zziippoo
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I believe that UCL is one of the best universities but not for business. KCL is really good as well but it has not connections with the industry. If you want to study something in business in London, choose LSE/ IMPERIAL/ CASS/ LONDON BUSINESS SCHOOL.
Akkuz
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Hanshen)
Let's be fair, the guy is on the course currently, and if giving his/her insight, which is undoubtedly better than our speculation based on ranking criteria. There are moans on here constantly about how people rely to heavily on ranking criteria, I think it would be rather myopic of us to ignore someone's lived experience when it's offered!

I would say UCL has certainly gone down in my expectation after hearing that report, although I had heard once previously that their relative newness in this discipline was to their detriment.
:ditto:
takemeLSE
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
nothing because eidited.
Hanshen
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You didnt get what I meant, I didnt say that course is good or bad. What I said was you cant fully rely on someone's comment, especially that person has not finished his/her course. It might be more convincing to listen to a guy who was graduated from that course and now working in the industry. Its very normal to see students complaining about their teachers and schools, even Oxbridge cant guarantee their students have 100% satisfaction.

BTW, have you received an offer from the course we are talking about? If yes, then you can keep on whining about your application fee. If no, you dont even know if they are going to take you or not, so it would be quite pointless to discuss something you couldnt get.
I'm not quite sure what I said to initiate such a scathing attack. My point is that this is a person who is studying the course, I would say they probably have at least some valid input. If you read my initial posts then you will see that I am quite positive about UCL, it is a course I considered applying for but I believed that personally I would prefer to study outside of London for the time being. I haven't once whined about an application fee, in fact I'm not entirely sure what you're going on about.

I'm not quite sure what the point in attacking me is, but I just said that it would be potentially short sighted to take ranking criteria over someone's personal lived experience. That's all. I would say both are important, and indeed we shouldn't ignore their testimony. Perhaps both are valid? I would certainly take such advice into account when considering my offer.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (145)
30.08%
No (337)
69.92%

Watched Threads