The Student Room Group

Psychology AQA A PSYA3 11th June 2012!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tpos
Would a gender dysphoria question be long? I haven't much info on it :/

thanks for that research :smile:

Glad I could help!
Reply 941
Brain structure isn't on the spec for biological influences on gender but I did make notes on it...should I revise it?
Reply 942
Im doing Relationships, Intelligence and Eating Behaviour.

Anyone have any ideas on possible essay questions they may ask?
Original post by Hamsey45
Im doing Relationships, Intelligence and Eating Behaviour.

Anyone have any ideas on possible essay questions they may ask?

Relationships - Maintenance / Sexual selection :smile:.
Reply 944
Original post by Mephestic
I think you can use lynch mobs provided you adapt it to explain evolutionary displays of group aggression.
I used it for the Jan 2012 exam when I did psya3 and it was fine!

Thank you. One other question with IDA do you include it within AO2 evaluations.
Or do you put it at the end, pick a couple and make a separate paragraph for each
Reply 945
Hiii everyone, is anyone else doing cognition? I've completed all the essays - i don't mind sending them to people who need them, but if anyone wants to give feedback id be most grateful :smile:
Reply 946
Original post by Bjcross
I'll email you mine :tongue: you need a variety of theories x

Hello :smile:, you know for a biosocial approach towards gender development - do you include research from gender dysphoria such as 'drummond et al' :smile: - because i think i have the old book and gender dysphoria is in a different category than the biosocial approach :smile:
Reply 947
Original post by :)J
Hello :smile:, you know for a biosocial approach towards gender development - do you include research from gender dysphoria such as 'drummond et al' :smile: - because i think i have the old book and gender dysphoria is in a different category than the biosocial approach :smile:

Well the biosocial approach is like different in loads of textbooks! Iv got money and ehrarhdts theory and eagly and woods social role theory; only a week to go, cannot wait till its over!
Reply 948
Original post by Bjcross
Well the biosocial approach is like different in loads of textbooks! Iv got money and ehrarhdts theory and eagly and woods social role theory; only a week to go, cannot wait till its over!

I can't believe they've done that - its so confusing! one book only talks about wood and eagly and the other talks about the social constructionist theory. is the social constructionist theory by any chance the social role theory with a different name haha?
I cannot wait for this exam to be over, i just hope i get at least 85/100 or that'll be devastating!
Reply 949
Original post by WrongSideUp
Looks good to me. However, you only mentioned work which was relevant to children, be sure to point out it can't be generalised to adults. I think a researcher called Philips found that daily homicide rates increased in the week following a major boxing match on Television, showing that social learning occurs in adults too.

Thanks, yeah it was Philips that did that study :smile:
Reply 950
Hey guys does anybody know that sections you could use the behavioural approach in sleep to evaluate? e.g. can it be used in the evaluation of sleep states, nature of sleep sleep disorders etc. I have managed to use the bio approach the cognitive and the psychodynamic when evaluating but not the behavioural approach to support or go against an argument/theory/explanation. Can anyone tell me where i can use the behavioural approach?
Original post by mkigz77
Hey guys does anybody know that sections you could use the behavioural approach in sleep to evaluate? e.g. can it be used in the evaluation of sleep states, nature of sleep sleep disorders etc. I have managed to use the bio approach the cognitive and the psychodynamic when evaluating but not the behavioural approach to support or go against an argument/theory/explanation. Can anyone tell me where i can use the behavioural approach?

Ya I think it can be used when evaluating insomnia (appropriate for both primary and secondary). I know that's a piddly little section but its all I can think of!

Morin et al (1999) developed 'Stimulus Control Therapy' which is based on the idea that insomnia is a conditioned response to various cues such as night-time and the bedroom environment. Because of this negative association, a new association between sleep and these cues must be learned.
Morin et al identified procedures such as
only going to bed when sleepy
using bedroom only for 'bed-related activities' (sex, sleep)
establishing a waking and getting up routine
no naps in the daytime

The fact that this is so effective supports the role of conditioning and learned associations in the dev of insomnia. I'll let you know if I find any more! :smile:
Edit* this is from the Nelson Thornes book
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 952
Original post by Dollyandra
Ya I think it can be used when evaluating insomnia (appropriate for both primary and secondary). I know that's a piddly little section but its all I can think of!

Morin et al (1999) developed 'Stimulus Control Therapy' which is based on the idea that insomnia is a conditioned response to various cues such as night-time and the bedroom environment. Because of this negative association, a new association between sleep and these cues must be learned.
Morin et al identified procedures such as
only going to bed when sleepy
using bedroom only for 'bed-related activities' (sex, sleep)
establishing a waking and getting up routine
no naps in the daytime

The fact that this is so effective supports the role of conditioning and learned associations in the dev of insomnia. I'll let you know if I find any more! :smile:
Edit* this is from the Nelson Thornes book

Thank you for that - it looks useful and something that i could use!
Reply 953
Does anyone have an idea what question might come up related to Eating Behaviour, Aggression and Relationships?
At the moment I'm writing flashcards for possible essays which might come up and they are working pretty well. Just learn the studies and the IDAs will follow.
Reply 955
I'm doing Biological Rhythms & Sleep, Aggression and Relationships - does anyone have any predictions as to what might come up? My teacher predicted them perfectly in January, and she's done the same for me for the resit but I just wanted to check with you guys. Here they are:

Aggression - social explanations i.e. social learning theory / deindividuation (hasn't been set in two years)
Relationships - formation or maintenance of relationships (maintenance hasn't been set yet)
Bio rhythms - functions of sleep: restoration theory (hasn't been set yet)

What do you reckon?
Reply 956
On aggression, I wanted to find a study that goes against the deindividuation theory (i.e. anonymity) and used Gergon et al study.
I wrote " A study that does not support the deindividuation theory that anonymity leads to aggression is by Gergon et al who lowered levels of individuation by taking 6 men and 6 women into a dark room (the experimental group) and taking a further 12 subjects to a lit room (The control group). They were allowed to spend the time as they wished. In the experimental group, the first 15 minutes their behaviour was social and polite, but by 60 minutes, the pitch black nature of the situation meant that inhibitions were lowered and Gergon et al found that at least half ended up cuddling and 80% got physical"

Is that an effective study/point to make? or should i try expand it more?
Formation and breakdown essays have come up before. What makes you think they will stick to the same subject area and do maintenance.

Genetics might come up for aggression.
Bio-functions of sleep/disorders etc etc...
Reply 958
Original post by Brap4k22DivideBy2
Formation and breakdown essays have come up before. What makes you think they will stick to the same subject area and do maintenance.

What do you reckon for relationships then?
I don't think sexual selection has been on on its own before either, so maybe that?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 959
Relationships

ITS GOING TO BE SEXUAL SELECTION

Or, maybe culture / maintenance.

I'm not even going to bother learning the rest ^^

Quick Reply

Latest