The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Notts accommodation advice?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BrenLee
There is no such thing as University Park off-campus.

Just to reiterate. No one will get a hall preference, no matter when you apply.

I think you might be confusing people :P. By hall obviously you mean the UP ones (Cripps, Nightingale etc.) but I think when some people refer to 'halls', they mean any university-arranged accommodation e.g. St Peters Court.

To people in general: you can choose your hall, you just cannot choose your hall within the University Park campus. You can of course choose Broadgate Park, St Peters Court, University Park etc. A lack of hall preference is only relevant to those applying for catered halls within University Park. You can choose to live on University Park, and choose your type of room (or at least state a preference) but you cannot choose a specific hall within University Park.
(edited 12 years ago)
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 41
Original post by scbond
Surely they are just bad experiences you've had?!

The kettle issue...just be more firm and they'll replace it quicker. If not, how much is a cheap kettle? Not a lot at all.

The stolen laptop...this happens at every halls at every uni every year and usually starts with the stupidity of leaving your room's door unlocked and having people you don't know that well in your flat. Lock your door and it ain't an issue.

The fire alarm issue...be firm and it'll get fixed. If that still doesn't work then report them to the university and the Fire Service, which will make sure it gets fixed pretty much straightaway. Or ultimately just don't start fires.

i think we were pretty firm, our whole flat went down to protest :P
it is my experience, but don't let it put you off.. just make sure you get some other views on it first :smile: nottingham was my insurance so i couldn't apply for accommodation until results day, and there were no on-campus accommodation left - my only choice was between Raleigh Park and SPC
With private shared bathrooms, does that mean there are only 2 people on your corridor? I'm finding it a bit difficult to picture the "communal corridor" it mentions on the website. Also, is it worth getting a private shared bathroom over a single study?
Reply 43
Original post by KatieTheFish
With private shared bathrooms, does that mean there are only 2 people on your corridor? I'm finding it a bit difficult to picture the "communal corridor" it mentions on the website. Also, is it worth getting a private shared bathroom over a single study?

no to both questions
just imagine that instead of your door the door leads to a room that has three doors in it you the other guy and a bathroom.
all the shared private bathrooms ive seen are of a much lower standard than the regular shared ones and a lot less cleaner too.
women up and get the normal single instead
Reply 44
I am staying at a private halls provider, this is a great place with a mixture of students from both uni's we all have a good laugh.

The procedure was easy to book and i would strongly recommend it.
Reply 45
Original post by JEETI
I am staying at a private halls provider, this is a great place with a mixture of students from both uni's we all have a good laugh.

The procedure was easy to book and i would strongly recommend it.

Can you provide a link to the company's website
How fare away is it from university park?
Reply 46
heloooooooooooooooooooo there :biggrin: il b studying dietetics in september 2012 at nottingham, which is mainly based at the SB campus, but for first years they only provide halls that are catered for on campus, and i was thinking about applying for accomodation at st peters court, but just wanted to know how long the travel would be from st peters court to SB using hopper buses? :smile:
i dont mind traveling because i live in london at the moment so travel about an hour to get to uni at the moment
thanks! :smile:
ash xx
Reply 47
Think I'm going to firm Notts within the next few days but I'm just looking for some accommodation advice.

I'm going to be a medical student from September hopefully so I'm wondering what is best for us medics.

Do the majority go self catered or catered? And after that do medics pick any specific campus or is just completely random?
Hey,

I'm hoping to study pharmacy at Nottingham starting 2012. I also row regularly and plan to continue this into university, which may clash with mealtimes?? I just wondered if anyone here can suggest whether I should go for catered or self-catered accomodation and where abouts I should apply for? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Reply 49
would you recommend cotton mills for first years? or would going into uni accomodation for the first year be better to meet other freshers? because im stuck between SPC and cotton mills!
Reply 50
What does anyone say about the food at Rutland Hall?
Please help me!
Original post by hagc
Hi all!
what's your opinion on safety around Opal, raleigh, SPC? I've seen few people saying it's not so safe. I recall someone saying something about getting company to go from raleigh park to jubilee. Of course I don't want to depend on someone getting in and out of my hall to feel safe! And then radford is right there. I suppose who lives in opal has to shopping on that area (I've seen something bad about radford too). So, is it true? There are some safety issues around that area, specially walking on the street at night, even if it's early?

I live in Nottingham and Radford is an awful area, i'd try and stay away if you can. I mean, it's not the end of the world there but i just wouldn't reccomend it!
Reply 52
Original post by EmmyLauren
I live in Nottingham and Radford is an awful area, i'd try and stay away if you can. I mean, it's not the end of the world there but i just wouldn't reccomend it!

why is radford so bad ?? any areas in particular we should avoid
Reply 53
Original post by aimlessinwonder
I think you might be confusing people :P. By hall obviously you mean the UP ones (Cripps, Nightingale etc.) but I think when some people refer to 'halls', they mean any university-arranged accommodation e.g. St Peters Court.

To people in general: you can choose your hall, you just cannot choose your hall within the University Park campus. You can of course choose Broadgate Park, St Peters Court, University Park etc. A lack of hall preference is only relevant to those applying for catered halls within University Park. You can choose to live on University Park, and choose your type of room (or at least state a preference) but you cannot choose a specific hall within University Park.

Halls are halls of residence, self-catered sites are flats rather than halls. So, no you absolutely can't choose halls.

I see your point if you're not up on the lingo though. :smile:
Original post by AT1719
why is radford so bad ?? any areas in particular we should avoid

Quite a lot of crime particulary burglary and some gun crime a few months back, the houses and accomadation (especially if you want to stay in a flat) does not look nice at all. Just known in Notts as a rough area in general. I mean people seem to do alright there but i'd definitely stress that you live somewhere else like Beeston.
Reply 55
I lived at St Peter's Court at the beginning of this year... I really wish I'd lived on campus. There were so many societies that I wanted to do that meant I'd have to get a taxi to and from campus because the bus turns up whenever it feels like it...

And to get to your 9am lectures on time you really ought to start queueing for the bus at 8 am cos the first one doesn't fit all the queue on the bus meaning the second lot of the line are late.
Original post by EmmyLauren
Quite a lot of crime particulary burglary and some gun crime a few months back, the houses and accomadation (especially if you want to stay in a flat) does not look nice at all. Just known in Notts as a rough area in general. I mean people seem to do alright there but i'd definitely stress that you live somewhere else like Beeston.

Lenton is much better than Beeston. Beeston is really boring, further away from town (taxis cost more) etc.
Lenton/Derby road is fine, like with all cities with a student population you will get crime because students are easy targets...

I've lived at Raleigh for a year, walked around Lenton at all times of the day and have never been mugged, threatened or anything..
Reply 57
Hi, I firmed Notts and I'm thinking about uni accommodation. I would like to know, is there any options to pay every month or every week for the accommodation or I should pay full sum at once? Help))
You know accommodation guys,aren't we supposed to send an email soon saying payment is dependant on student living loan,cos don't we need to start to pay a deposit soon?

Help appreciated!:colondollar:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
Reply 59
Original post by Ps3SuperSRG
You know accommodation guys,aren't we supposed to send an email soon saying payment is dependant on student living loan,cos don't we need to start to pay a deposit soon?

Help appreciated!:colondollar:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100

Yeah, if they're requesting your first accommodation payment before your actual student loan arrives then you need to email the accommodation finance team by heading up the email 'Reliant Upon Loan Funding'. To avoid any further correspondence or hassle, attach a screenshot from the SFE website of the dates and amount of your student loan instalments as proof.

Do this as soon as you can.

-------------------------------------------------------

Me: I will be unable to make full payment by 31st Aug 2012 since I receive my first student loan instalment from the start of term 1, 24th Sep 2012 .

Them: Have you received your loan payment schedule yet or is it possible to send me a screen shot from your Student Finance account which details how much loan / grant you will be receiving and when ? We need to see some official documentation of your loan and then we will then be able to use this information to provide you with a more personalised payment plan.

Me:I have attached a screenshot detailing the amount and times of each loan payment as requested.

Them:
Thank you for supplying evidence of your loan application. We are happy to extend your term 1 payment deadline to 1st October 2012.

Kind Regards
Accommodation Finance Team

Quick Reply