The Student Room Group

Year 7 maths help

I was browsing through a year 7 textbook when I came across this question which I thought was pretty tricky for yr 7.

For biii, it seems like there's not enough info. Am I being stupid or is the question impossible without knowing the width of the shape? They seems to be assuming that the shape has the same dimensions as part a) i.e. width 7cm.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

It is a rectangle, therefore, parallel lines equal the same. For example, the line opposite the one that is 12cm is also 12cm. What is the lenghth of the line opposite the one which is 7cm?
Reply 2
Original post by multiplexing-gamer
It is a rectangle, therefore, parallel lines equal the same. For example, the line opposite the one that is 12cm is also 12cm. What is the lenghth of the line opposite the one which is 7cm?

There is no line that is 7cm in biii...
Reply 3
Original post by 0-)

For biii, it seems like there's not enough info. Am I being stupid or is the question impossible without knowing the width of the shape? They seems to be assuming that the shape has the same dimensions as part a) i.e. width 7cm.

Just notice all the shapes, these all shapes can be made from the rectangle given in part a. So you have to assume that the width of the shape given in b iii is 7cm.
I would hazard a guess that this is simply a typing error in the text book, and I agree with your assumption that it should be 7cm, since all the others(i, ii, iv) have the same length.

Many text books have the odd question in them which has information missing, or is unsolvable, when enough are found, and new edition of the text book is published.
Reply 5
Original post by bencrossley1
I would hazard a guess that this is simply a typing error in the text book, and I agree with your assumption that it should be 7cm, since all the others(i, ii, iv) have the same length.

Many text books have the odd question in them which has information missing, or is unsolvable, when enough are found, and new edition of the text book is published.

The answer to 7a is 7b1
(edited 12 years ago)
Well.. That's not a hard question for a year 7, as we get taught this stuff in like year 6..
Reply 7
Feels so strange seeing such questions after so long.
Reply 8
Original post by steve2005
The answer to 7a is 7b1

And 7biv
Reply 9
I always used to get confused over area and perimeter, and whether or not they were the same thing :h: I suck at Maths...
It's what's called an ill-posed question.

Maths is about logic and the only way to work out the answer is to assume the width in iii is 7cm.

But it is illogical to have to assume that because the width is GIVEN for i), ii) and iv)
ZOMG, an unsolvable GCSE, no wait... not GCSE, pre-GCSE maths question!

God, please... it's too early for judgement day! :adore:
Reply 12
I don't get what is wrong with the question. The clue is surely in the word 'MUST' in the question. Only i and iv MUST have the same perimeter, ii doesn't and iii might. Of course you could be really pedantic and say that none of them 'MUST' have equal perimeters unless you know some or all of the angles, because they could be a fraction of a degree off of what you assume them to be.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by James82
I don't get what is wrong with the question. The clue is surely in the word 'MUST' in the question. Only i and iv MUST have the same perimeter, ii doesn't and iii might. Of course you could be really pedantic and say that none of them 'MUST' have equal perimeters unless you know some or all of the angles, because they could be a fraction of a degree off of what you assume them to be.

That is fine for (a)

but for (b) where the OP has the issue ... how would you find the perimeter of (iii)
Reply 14
Original post by TenOfThem
That is fine for (a)

but for (b) where the OP has the issue ... how would you find the perimeter of (iii)

It's irrelevant, you don't need to find the perimeter of iii to be able answer the question, if you don't have enough information then clearly the perimeter may or may not be the same as a, therefore it doesn't fulfil the criteria that it MUST have the same perimeter as the green rectangle.

Like I said without knowing enough of the angles then none of the shapes in b fulfil the criteria.
Reply 15
who browses through year 7 text books anyway? :confused:
Reply 16
Original post by RinniieX
who browses through year 7 text books anyway? :confused:

Year 7s? :dontknow:
Original post by James82
It's irrelevant, you don't need to find the perimeter of iii to be able answer the question, if you don't have enough information then clearly the perimeter may or may not be the same as a, therefore it doesn't fulfil the criteria that it MUST have the same perimeter as the green rectangle.

You are still referring to part (a) of the question

The OP is referring to part (b) ... where you do have to find the perimeter because that is what the question asks for!
Reply 18
Original post by TenOfThem
You are still referring to part (a) of the question

The OP is referring to part (b) ... where you do have to find the perimeter because that is what the question asks for!

Haha, I must learn to read the question. :embarrassed:

Still you could just circle the perimeter and point some arrows at it, it doesn't ask you to find the length of the perimeter. :wink:
Reply 19
Original post by James82
Year 7s? :dontknow:

didn't think year 7s would be on TSR, but if they are, then your answer stands correct :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest