The Student Room Group

Received offers, unsure about which uni

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ihai
The title itself is pretty self explanatory :smile:. The offers I have received are from:
- Southampton
- Sheffield
- Queen Mary University London
- Exeter
- Reading

I've been looking through various posts on TSR, league tables and any other information, but I'm still at a loss as to which uni I should firm. I'm considering using Reading/Exeter as an insurance as they're both AAB.

Would be great to hear current student's experiences. Discuss away I guess :biggrin:. I've also added a poll, so you can vote (written reasoning as to your choice would be much welcomed though :P)

Thankyou for reading :biggrin:

EDIT: This is for law btw :P

This guy is a professor of trusts law at QMUL:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FN_ieg7heWk&feature=related

I think that pretty much settles things.
Reply 21
Original post by TurboCretin
This guy is a professor of trusts law at QMUL:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FN_ieg7heWk&feature=related

I think that pretty much settles things.

Haha, I have his book. I also now understand Re Goldcorp, thanks very much!
Original post by Norton1
Haha, I have his book. I also now understand Re Goldcorp, thanks very much!

His videos are brilliant. He also has a website with podcasts etc. which are very useful.
Reply 23
So you would be in favour of QMUL? :smile:
Reply 24
From looking at Queen Mary's list of staff in the law dep I don't think he actually teaches there any more.
Original post by Ihai
Hey,

If you could send me some pictures that'd be really good :smile:. Would you like me to pm you my email?

yes please dont know how to add pics in here :smile:
Reply 26
I'll pm you my email now :smile:
sorry tis taking longer than expected, my email at home has issues and school is chaos!!! soo it will be sent soon
Reply 28
That's fine :smile:. You got my email ok ?
Reply 29
I've narrowed it down the Exeter being my insurance choice, as they've given me a AAB offer, and first choice between Soton and Qmul.

Anyone got any thoughts/opinions on this, struggling to make a choice :smile:

Edit: Unsure why this was given a neg... :s-smilie:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 30
Umm.... I'm not quite sure why my last comment has received 2 negs, maybe those people would like to speak up and say why?

Edit: yaayy another neg.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 31
I'm in my last year at SOuthampton, feel free to PM me! We have a great set of staff - some practice alongside (one of our staff members is a judge!) others are involved in high end stuff, e.g. our healthcare professor is the chair for the Nuffield COuncil on Bioethics (a big research committee for healthcare law) and the Organ Donation Taskforce (again another govt committee). Also, one of our professors is a world expert in the area of law and the human body (my interest) and we are only one of 3 universities in the whole world that teach it. In family law too we are the only university in the UK that teaches about foreign marriage and divorce which is an up and coming area.

Ok I am a little bit bias :P

But yeah message me and I can give you all the goss on southampton :smile: I chose it because it is friendly and there is great support. Other unis such as Bristol felt to me like that would leave you on your own as a first year, but i didn't feel like that at all at southampton. I wouldnt have chosen anywhere else :smile:
Reply 32
I'll be sure to pm you some questions later today :smile:
Reply 33
Worth considering QMUL it seems, i have an offer from QMUL for LLM as well.
have you decided yet? I firmed mine like a month ago, and between King's and Queen Mary I decided to go for Queen Mary!
and if not decided what is the debate ur still having?
Reply 35
Still not decided :P. I'm pretty sure Exeter is my insurance (ducks and waits for the negs *see above*).

I really loved the feel of southampton, nice city and a lovely campus. But QMUL could have better prospects, but I'm just not sure if i want to spend 3 years in London. I'll have to make my choice soon though haha :biggrin:
Original post by Ihai
Still not decided :P. I'm pretty sure Exeter is my insurance (ducks and waits for the negs *see above*).

I really loved the feel of southampton, nice city and a lovely campus. But QMUL could have better prospects, but I'm just not sure if i want to spend 3 years in London. I'll have to make my choice soon though haha :biggrin:

Yea that was weird, but in the end, I know student room is nice and everything, but really just use your own head and knowledge. Basically it is your life, you gotta live it, maybe QMUL has amazing prospects, but every uni fits people different, I love it because I am an uber nerd and love doing extra work etc, which I heard is neccesary. while other uni's just work different. and its not only about the uni but also the city indeed, I am in love with big cities, but that just goes to show that each person is different. Think, what would make you the happiest for the next chapter of your life.
Good luck with your decision.
Reply 37
Original post by sarah peacehope
have you decided yet? I firmed mine like a month ago, and between King's and Queen Mary I decided to go for Queen Mary!
and if not decided what is the debate ur still having?

Well, i havent decided yet due to the high living cost in London. Why choose QMUL instead of King's?
Reply 38
Well, i havent decided yet due to the high living cost in London. Why choose QMUL instead of King's?

From what I gathered at the open day if people had chosen QMUL over King's or other places in London it seemed to be due to the campus aspect. Think that was pretty much it :smile:
Original post by junhong

Basically cuz I liked the uni more, and the course fit me better, ranking wise etc. its not so much the living costs that bother me, more the uni itself and the intern opportunities.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending