?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Last edited by Janusz Kowalcyzk; 5 months ago
Kerrias
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If the SQA word limit is 800 (although I remember it being higher, but I'm probably remembering it wrong) I would think you wouldn't be able to go over it, not by that much anyway. Speak to your teacher and see how you can cut your essays down.
And I dont know for sure on this so don't take my word but I always got the impression that each individual essay was marked and an average taken from them, that is what I thought when I was doing SG, but someone correct me if Im wrong
The best way to find out is to ask your English teacher, (s)he will know the answers to these,
Hope you find the answers you want
JackE5
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by nerd434)
I was just wondering if anyone knows how the folio is marked. Is it given an overall grade or do they grade each individual piece?

I was also wondering whether having pieces that are over the word limit of 800 can affect my grade? Looking to get a grade 1 but most of my writing pieces are around 1300 words?

Thanks in advance!
Hi, OP, I am currently also doing SG English and the way it is marked is:

2 Writing pieces ( 1 personal/imaginative and 1 discursive/persuasive) + Writing exam = 1 Mark

3 critical essays ( max 2 of one genre) + Close reading mark = 1 Mark

Solo talk = 1 Mark

And I believe it is always rounded down so 1.5 = 1 and 2.5 = 2.

As for word count:

'Your pieces of writing should normally be no more than 800 words long'

Taken from SQA website:

http://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/2811.html

Hope I helped x
TheUnbeliever
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Quoting myself from a recent thread:

(Original post by TheUnbeliever)
"Your pieces of writing should normally be no more than 800 words long."

Similar wording is used in the arrangements (which are the be-all and end-all):
  • Foundation: "the response is at leat [sic] 100 words in length"
  • General: "the response is a reasonably extended one, probably between 300 and 800 words"
  • Credit: "the response is a substantial one but not normally exceeding 800 words"; "Pieces of extended writing submitted in the folio of coursework should not normally
    exceed 800 words in length. The overriding consideration is, however, that the length should be appropriate to the purposes of the writing task"

So I think you can take this to mean that there is no hard limit (the '1000 words or it would be penalised') but rather that you should exercise common sense, with 800 as a target. If you were being penalised at 900 words, I think this would be symptomatic of more fundamental problems, rather than an inherent property of the length.
(:emily.
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Most of my class' folios were well over 1000, and as far as I know most people got 1s
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bradford
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate Open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Oct '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (99)
24.26%
No (309)
75.74%

Watched Threads