What clothing size on girls do you consider 'fat' ?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
headbands,
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Ive been reading a lot of posts on the student room about size ect, and it seems to me that if your a size 12-14 your classed as 'fat' or 'chubby' ! :/
I was just wondering at what size do you then class someone as fat?
ed-
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It's how a person looks, not their clothing size
You don't see a fat girl and think 'ugh she's a size....'
fallen_acorns
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
well size 12-14 on someone 6 foot tall, is slightly less then average weight. (speaking as someone like this) so.. its not at all about clothes sizes, and a broad statement cant be made.. with out looking at each person on an individual basis
coca
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Depends on height and body shape.
mijin
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
This is super difficult to answer - clothing sizes vary drastically between shops (I'm an 8 in one and 12 in another), a size can look huge on one girl and tiny on another (taking into account height and general build), two girls of the same height and weight might need different top sizes because of boobage, etc...

The modelling industry would likely tell you that a UK 12-14 and up is 'plus size'. Personally I would say that any size is fine until you become clinically overweight, at which point yes, you are fat and need to lose weight for the sake of your health. If a girl is of a healthy weight for her height, however, I think any size is fine.
geetar
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Size zero. Fatties.

Actual answer: clothing sizes aren't really a very good indicator of stuff like that.
Watch Key Phone
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Ooh, I haven't seen this thread in a good two, three weeks? :rolleyes:
Steevee
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Assuming the girl is average hieght, I'd say size 14 is getting on the chubby size, and 16 is fat. 12 would be 'curvy', but 'curvy' isn't really dependant on clothes size. Oh, and size 18 is 'bubbly'
username306617
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well most high street shops only go up to a 16,
So I guess when you're an 18 and thus have to shop in the plus section you're "fat".
It must really suck when you get to that stage, because the plus size offerings are shocking.
My mum is larger, and when we go clothes shopping it's exasperating looking for nice stuff for her.
Either it's sparkly numbers no one that size should really be wearing, or dowdy grey and brown moo moos.
We actually found a top in M&S once that was sparkling and said "cherished memories"
Sounded like a blooming obituary.
Octohedral
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm 5ft 10, and 14-16 (though I like loose clothes - I'm probably more of a 14, but not a 12), and I would call myself slightly overweight. I think it depends a lot on height.
py0alb
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Clothing sizes are a terrible way of judging "fatness". A tall athletic girl in a size 16 is probably no "fatter" than a short girl in a size 10.
tinktinktinkerbell
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i dont go on clothes size

i go on height, weight, body composition

those>>>>>>>>>>>> clothes size
Veronique:-)
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Steevee)
Assuming the girl is average hieght, I'd say size 14 is getting on the chubby size, and 16 is fat. 12 would be 'curvy', but 'curvy' isn't really dependant on clothes size. Oh, and size 18 is 'bubbly'

This girl is a size 14/16. How on earth is she fat? Depends on height.
when I was a 10 a couple of years ago, because of my height people claimed I was underweight. My best friend is an 10 too but barely 5 feet and she's been called chubby a few times.
It's ridiculous, really.
This society is messed up, i say GOD BLESS FOOD.
eating is amazing, let's face it
rockstarlive
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by headbands,)
Ive been reading a lot of posts on the student room about size ect, and it seems to me that if your a size 12-14 your classed as 'fat' or 'chubby' ! :/
Size 12??
Steevee
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Veronique:-))

This girl is a size 14/16. How on earth is she fat? Depends on height.
when I was a 10 a couple of years ago, because of my height people claimed I was underweight. My best friend is an 10 too but barely 5 feet and she's been called chubby a few times.
It's ridiculous, really.
This society is messed up, i say GOD BLESS FOOD.
eating is amazing, let's face it
Did you notice the bit where I said if they're average height? :facepalm:
StressReliever
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by headbands,)
You can't go by clothes size and anyway it only ends up offending someone if you say x size is too fat or x size is too skinny. It very much depends on the individual, there are some people who would class themselves to be fat at a size 12-14 and others would class themselves to be normal. You also have to look at the height, build and body shape of the person to mention a few factors that come into play.

If you are a busty or hippy girl, then you can probably expect to wear a bigger dress size than someone with a straighter figure assuming you are around the same sort of waist size. For example while a girl with measurements 34-28-36 may have no trouble fitting a size 10, a girl with measurements 38-28-40 may need a size 14 even though she's just curvier on her bust and hips.
IB_19
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Clothes sizes will not determine whether someone is fat or not. A lot depends on their height and build.
LipstickKisses
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
There's no 'fat size' it depends on someone's height and bodyshape.
BlindingLight
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Chubby girls rock my world :daydreaming:
Veronique:-)
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Steevee)
Did you notice the bit where I said if they're average height? :facepalm:
Yep. Also noticed that you didn't point out what that was.
In England, a girl that's 5'7 is average height. so is a girl that's 5'3.
Huge gap. It'd be silly to expect them to wear the same size of clothing. Sorry if my analogy didn't fit, and sorry to be picky on the ambiguity, but it's such generic statements that make most girls think they have to fit into a mould.
Oh and btw, the average height for a girl in Holland is 5'10. The average height for a girl in china is 5'1.
they're both averages, should women that fit into those specific averages wear the same clothing size?
Hopefully you get my point. If not, facepalm yourself again.
(and before you say that this is specific to the uk, kindly take into account that uk sizes apply all over the world, thanks :P)
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (147)
4.88%
Uncertainty around my education (443)
14.72%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (338)
11.23%
Lack of purpose or motivation (420)
13.95%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (140)
4.65%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (182)
6.05%
Loneliness (259)
8.6%
Financial worries (109)
3.62%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (123)
4.09%
Exposure to negative news/social media (136)
4.52%
Lack of real life entertainment (163)
5.42%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (266)
8.84%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (284)
9.44%

Watched Threads