Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've applied to do History of Art and not sure about which university to pick. I live in London and hate it with a passion!...but I wouldn't mind staying here but then again I liked Bristol and Warwick too. I'm just so confused. Which one has a better reputation in your opinion?

By the way is there anyone here that is considering doing History of Art? anyone at all??

ReputationRep:
    I would go for UCL. But you don't seem to like London Have no idea about the relative prestige of the departments, but i always reckon it is better to go for the overall prestige of a university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliel)
    I would go for UCL. But you don't seem to like London Have no idea about the relative prestige of the departments, but i always reckon it is better to go for the overall prestige of a university.

Yeah, overall prestige is better. Although UCL is way overrated. Of the three, statisically UCL is the easiest to get into. Prestige for me is simply a matter of supply and demand, if a university has prestige it should by definition have a high A level grade point average. UCL is 10th in the UK for entry grades.

So, on that I would go for Bristol or Warwick. Although, the differences between the three are minute and it's best to go where you find yourself most at ease. Your employment prospects will not change depending on which of the 3 you go to-if anyone says otherwise, they are wrong.

ReputationRep:
    well go to wedgies.co.uk just come for that Bristol great besides the homeless

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.S.)
    Yeah, overall prestige is better. Although UCL is way overrated. Of the three, statisically UCL is the easiest to get into. Prestige for me is simply a matter of supply and demand, if a university has prestige it should by definition have a high A level grade point average. UCL is 10th in the UK for entry grades.

So, on that I would go for Bristol or Warwick. Although, the differences between the three are minute and it's best to go where you find yourself most at ease. Your employment prospects will not change depending on which of the 3 you go to-if anyone says otherwise, they are wrong.
    UCl is way ahead of the others: in general rep, in historical achievement, in employment prospects. It's one of the G5 universities and also has the advantage of big size and big finance. Warwick has been fashionable for some time, but the question is :will this last? (remember Sussex). Bristol is an upmarket version of Durham, it has quite a bit more clout and weight, especially in research, but it hasn't really got anything distinctive about it-it's just another Oxbridge clone at the end of the day-UCL is a quite bit more than that..

ReputationRep:
    I would probably rank them as below:

1) Warwick
    2) UCL
    3) Bristol

Personal opinions thou..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by purplerainbow)
    I've applied to do History of Art and not sure about which university to pick. I live in London and hate it with a passion!...but I wouldn't mind staying here but then again I liked Bristol and Warwick too. I'm just so confused. Which one has a better reputation in your opinion?

By the way is there anyone here that is considering doing History of Art? anyone at all??
    UCL!!

ReputationRep:
    Warwick is the best choice.

IMO UCL is too overated, probably due to its historical achivements and its prestige, but I think there is more to prestige when choosing a university, such as simply which one i academically better, and I would say: Warwick.

If you are very determined on prestige, well Warwick surely has prestige too.
    One other thing is if you prefer campus university and hate London, then surely Warwick is the best choice.

DjPRO

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by W.A.S Hewins)
    UCl is way ahead of the others: in general rep, in historical achievement, in employment prospects. It's one of the G5 universities and also has the advantage of big size and big finance. Warwick has been fashionable for some time, but the question is :will this last? (remember Sussex). Bristol is an upmarket version of Durham, it has quite a bit more clout and weight, especially in research, but it hasn't really got anything distinctive about it-it's just another Oxbridge clone at the end of the day-UCL is a quite bit more than that..
    If UCL is so good then why is it so easy for a serious academic to get into, all the way across the board from it's BA to its Doctorate? All that talk about it being a university with an international reputation is just amusing. You attach far toooo much weight to 'historical achievment'. As the end of the day, if this really mattered, more people would apply and it would have a higher a/v A level points score-it doesn't despite having such a high number of students from independent schools.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.