Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    or is it fixed. i mean can u improve the level of intelligence u have or is it simply genetic?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Its surely environmental as well as genetic. Isn't it to do with brain structures forming in the first few years?

IQ can definitely go down so why can't it go up?
    i suppose its like fittness the more training u do the fitter ya get.

ReputationRep:
    Have a search for some books on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...758027-1331002

ReputationRep:
    There must be in-built limits though.
    yea like fittness

ReputationRep:
    Actually its not a bad analogy. If you were malnourished as a child you'll always be less fit than you could be, same with the brain.
    suppose it is except maybe intelligence has narrower limits to improve and get worse.

ReputationRep:
    If you do loads of IQ tests, surely you'll do better in them. Don't know if that's improving your IQ or just improving your techinque of doing the tests. Probably the latter.

ReputationRep:
    im sure it can be improved, like it can be worsened through the use of drugs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmz)
    or is it fixed. i mean can u improve the level of intelligence u have or is it simply genetic?

yes u can improve it but only to some extent...15 points is maximum...of course it all depends on your genetic possibilities (the higher IQ the bigger possibilities of gainin the max 15 points)

ReputationRep:
    someone told me that your potential IQ is fixed, and that how close you get to it is a matter of environment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by riffraff)
    someone told me that your potential IQ is fixed, and that how close you get to it is a matter of environment.

hmmm...i have just came home from a lecture about IQ, ways of measuring and improving it...and this is what the lecturer told me...IQ is not fixed coz it can change in a matter of years (months even). it can either rise or decrease...max-15 points

ReputationRep:
    I don't even believe in IQ>

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jazzy_girl)
    hmmm...i have just came home from a lecture about IQ, ways of measuring and improving it...and this is what the lecturer told me...IQ is not fixed coz it can change in a matter of years (months even). it can either rise or decrease...max-15 points
    maybe it depends how you measure it, cos you can measure verbal, spatial, logical IQ etc.

ReputationRep:
    maybe it depends how you measure it, cos you can measure verbal, spatial, logical IQ etc.

IQ means all those (there are 10 kinds of intelligence) so its a general number taken from all those ten measurements...if it comes to lets say verbal intelligence u can rise it i guess but rising it may not influence your general IQ number (i hope u can understand what im tryin to say...my english is too poor to explain it clearly guess :-/)

ReputationRep:
    IQ is a load of crap really. My dad has a high IQ even got an offer for Cambridge University. However I would not really class him as being that sucessful in life at all.

ReputationRep:
    IQ means all those (there are 10 kinds of intelligence) so its a general number taken from all those ten measurements...if it comes to lets say verbal intelligence u can rise it i guess but rising it may not influence your general IQ number (i hope u can understand what im tryin to say...my english is too poor to explain it clearly guess :-/)
    dnt woz where you from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    IQ is a load of crap really. My dad has a high IQ even got an offer for Cambridge University. However I would not really class him as being that sucessful in life at all.
    IQ measures, among other things, aptitude. Aptitude alone is not sufficient to achieve success. One other, very important ingredient is application. You can be extremely clever but if you are lazy you may not achieve as much as someone less able but more diligent.

ReputationRep:
    dnt woz where you from?

Poland

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    IQ measures, among other things, aptitude. Aptitude alone is not sufficient to achieve success. One other, very important ingredient is application. You can be extremely clever but if you are lazy you may not achieve as much as someone less able but more diligent.

true...
    im a good example of someone with a low IQ but still managing on the uni...but theres nothing to brag about is there? lol

ReputationRep:
    true...
    im a good example of someone with a low IQ but still managing on the uni...but theres nothing to brag about is there? lol
    I disagree - the fact that you are working hard and keeping up is admirable. A big pat on the back for you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    I disagree - the fact that you are working hard and keeping up is admirable. A big pat on the back for you

thanks I never thought of it that way (wow maybe I am something?...naaah...lol)

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.