The Student Room Group

dont know if i want to go to uni, but is it the only option?

Ive been rejected from all the unis i want to go to (i applied for midwifery) i achieve good grades but i knew it was a competitive course

so now im faced with the option do i apply for another course for this year

but i feel like i do not even want to go anymore...ive had enough of being in education, it might be a waste of money, i cba for all the partying

Buttttt....i am unlikley to get a job around where i live with only a levels

i want a well paid job in the future

are there any courses that i could do locally to get me a good job

(im unsure now as to what career to go into)
What sort of grades have you got and where did you apply for? I missed the grades required for my uni's (Durham firm with Brum insurance) last year, started a different course (Law), but then decided to leave and re apply back to my original course (Geography).

The time inbetween leaving and my new course to start, eg now, has been filled with trying to find a decent job with my A Levels (ABB) and pretty much failing. I have only got minimum wage part time work even with good A Levels and GCSEs (6A*s and 5As)

My advise to you would be to try and find a course for next year, or look for a decent job which you'd be happy in.
Reply 2
i had two A's and a B in my AS levels and 6 a*s and B's in GCSE's
i applied for swansea, southampton, staffordshire, cardiff, glamorgan

if i applied for next year im just unsure of what i would do in the mean time...
Original post by rhianevie
i had two A's and a B in my AS levels and 6 a*s and B's in GCSE's
i applied for swansea, southampton, staffordshire, cardiff, glamorgan

if i applied for next year im just unsure of what i would do in the mean time...

Work experience/volunteer. Did you ask for feedback from the unis to see why they rejected you? This will help you if you apply again.

I would not advise completely ruling out uni. You're obviously bright (with your academic record) and not many people honestly love university/studying, they do it because it will help them in future and the other options aren't as appealing.

At the moment, there aren't many jobs and those that are available aren't very well paid or intellectually stimulating (to put it nicely).

Keep uni as an option, take the next few months to assess your situation and try to keep busy.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by rhianevie
Ive been rejected from all the unis i want to go to (i applied for midwifery) i achieve good grades but i knew it was a competitive course

so now im faced with the option do i apply for another course for this year

(im unsure now as to what career to go into)

It depends on how you felt about midwifery, most people on http://www.studentmidwife.net/ who got rejected from midwifery (and there are plenty!) seem to just want to get right back into it and consider it their only possible career they would be happy doing, if this is the case then certainly bounce back, even great applicants get declined first time, applying 2/3 times is not rare (1 place to every 20-50 applicants, how could it be!) its just a matter of improving your application next year (or using extra/clearing now) through volenteering, reading etc.

Did you get any interviews, did you request for feedback, have you considered using extra?
A year out and reapplying would give you a great opportunity to get relevant work experience that would really strengthen your application.

Have you thought about getting a job as a Health Care assistant? It'd look great when apply for Midwifery, a friend of mine did that for a year when reapplying for Medicine and he's now studying at Sheffield.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending