The Student Room Group

Sociology - Education Retake

Does anyone have the past questions for the Education module? I'm resitting this exam in May and have absoutely no idea what was on the last paper! (Or the one before that, to be honest) So if anyone could give me a list of past questions, I'd be very grateful!

Also, anyone else resitting/taking this module?
The aqa website is good...
Reply 2
Original post by Yellowranger
The aqa website is good...

Apparently not, since it doesn't allow the public to view the most recent paper...
Why are you negging me I made a suggestion when nobody else would... Pathetic
Reply 4
Hi I'm not sure what the most recent paper was about because I didn't do it! But I did the summer one last year and it was about

Roles of Education 12
Social Groups and Achievement 24

can't remember methods in context

and just methods was laboratory exps. problems I think. Like I say it's a bit sketchy!
Reply 5
Original post by lukex20
Hi I'm not sure what the most recent paper was about because I didn't do it! But I did the summer one last year and it was about

Roles of Education 12
Social Groups and Achievement 24

can't remember methods in context

and just methods was laboratory exps. problems I think. Like I say it's a bit sketchy!

No worries, at least you tried to contribute!

I've just finished the Crme and Deviance module in A2, so I'm hoping this time around I'm much more eqipped for Education...
Reply 6
Oh wow I wish we did Crime and Deviance from Sept-Jan I'd have preferred it now rather than in the summer. I've just finished Beliefs in Society and have just started Crime now. :smile: Is there a lot of content? Anything particular I should pay attention to? Thanks :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by lukex20
Oh wow I wish we did Crime and Deviance from Sept-Jan I'd have preferred it now rather than in the summer. I've just finished Beliefs in Society and have just started Crime now. :smile: Is there a lot of content? Anything particular I should pay attention to? Thanks :smile:

There's a lot of content, yeah. Beliefs in Society is definitely a lot smaller!

The exam that just came up had Globalisation and Labelling Theory for the crime questions, Covert Observation in courts for the methods question and for the 33 marker - Functionism and New Right came up. I'd advise you to spend less time on them whilst revising as they won't come up in your exam.
Reply 8
Original post by R3cognize

The exam that just came up had Globalisation and Labelling Theory for the crime questions, Covert Observation in courts for the methods question and for the 33 marker - Functionism and New Right came up. I'd advise you to spend less time on them whilst revising as they won't come up in your exam.

Ah wow thanks for the heads up on those topics, globalisation is always something tricky for me! Are you doing Beliefs in Society now? :smile: If so then the exam we just had contained reasons for Ethnic minority religiosity, Secularisation and Sects, Cults and Denominations and the big 33 marker was on assessing Functionalist theory for understanding society today. :smile:
The questions for SCLY2 Jan 12 were along the lines of:

define meritocracy
3 reasons why ethnic minority groups may underperform
reasons for gender and subject choice
cultural factors affecting working class attainment

usefulness of official stats when investigating choice of secondary school

define hawthorne effect
2 sampling methods
2 disadvanatges of observation
strengths and weaknesses of interviews

In my opinion as a sociology tutor, this was a great paper with no tricky questions. I would revise PET and education policies for May 2012 if I were you!

Vicki-Marie
www.socialsciencetutor.co.uk
Original post by R3cognize

Thanks for that :smile: + Rep!
Reply 11
Original post by Vicki-Marie

define meritocracy

define hawthorne effect
2 sampling methods

In my opinion as a sociology tutor, this was a great paper with no tricky questions. I would revise PET and education policies for May 2012 if I were you!

Vicki-Marie

That's great, thanks! I don't suppose you have the questions for June '11, too? AQA doesn't have the most recent papers on their site! Thanks again.
Reply 12
Original post by Vicki-Marie

define meritocracy

define hawthorne effect
2 sampling methods

Vicki-Marie

do you mean education policies for the 20 marks questions in the education section? PET for research methods in context of education? what about 20 mark question for research methods on its own?

i am resitting this paper in may and want to get an A!!! So please and thank you in advance for for helping me!!!
Reply 13
last year was educational policies - like marketisation, ERA etc.
I'm retaking too though and i dont know where to start!!!

Quick Reply