The Student Room Group

A2 AQA Geography 3A Summer 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Just to confirm, for A* you need 180UMS across the two units (90% overall across the two units)
I'm asking as on the website for June 2011(http://web.aqa.org.uk/UMS/)
it says A* was 108 UMS or 66RAW marks but surely if you got say 78UMS on the pre release, then surely you'd only need 102 UMS not the 108 UMS stated? :biggrin:
Original post by d_aan
Just to confirm, for A* you need 180UMS across the two units (90% overall across the two units)
it says A* was 108 UMS or 66RAW marks but surely if you got say 78UMS on the pre release, then surely you'd only need 102 UMS not the 108 UMS stated? :biggrin:

not exactly sure what you mean by pre-release but let me try and explain all that I know about the scoring system.

For A* you need the 180UMS out of 200UMS across the 2 units (GEOG3 and GEOG4A/B).

June 2011 was no different whereby. You still need 180 out of 200UMS from both GEOG3 and GEOG4. 108UMS was for the A* grade for GEOG3, meaning you'd have to get 72UMS in the GEOG4 to qualify for the A* in the A-Level. If you get me? :3

So saying you got 78UMS, you'd need to get 102UMS for an A*. From what I know anyway. Or it may be that you have to bag an A* in both modules and therefore you will need the 108UMS to qualify.
Original post by Bakasplitz
not exactly sure what you mean by pre-release but let me try and explain all that I know about the scoring system.

For A* you need the 180UMS out of 200UMS across the 2 units (GEOG3 and GEOG4A/B).

June 2011 was no different whereby. You still need 180 out of 200UMS from both GEOG3 and GEOG4. 108UMS was for the A* grade for GEOG3, meaning you'd have to get 72UMS in the GEOG4 to qualify for the A* in the A-Level. If you get me? :3

So saying you got 78UMS, you'd need to get 102UMS for an A*. From what I know anyway. Or it may be that you have to bag an A* in both modules and therefore you will need the 108UMS to qualify.

This is correct.
Original post by d_aan

For an A* you need 90% (in A2 units)

108/120 (max UMS mark) = 0.9 = 90%

You can get an A* with less on the paper if you do better in 4a/4b, likewise you can get an A or a B or a C etc. with less than the given grade boundaries.

The grade boundaries given for each paper aren't really very helpful, because your overall grade is dependent on the combined UMS of the modules, but it's just to give you an idea.
Reply 184

Original post by tehforum
This is correct.

Original post by lukas1051
For an A* you need 90% (in A2 units)

108/120 (max UMS mark) = 0.9 = 90%

You can get an A* with less on the paper if you do better in 4a/4b, likewise you can get an A or a B or a C etc. with less than the given grade boundaries.

The grade boundaries given for each paper aren't really very helpful, because your overall grade is dependent on the combined UMS of the modules, but it's just to give you an idea.

Thank you for the clarification:smile:
Reply 185
How would peeps go through this paper?

Questions
Questions
Essay?

Essay?
Questions
Questions

Questions
Essay?
Questions
Reply 186
Original post by acedlol

Questions
Questions
Essay?

Essay?
Questions
Questions

Questions
Essay?
Questions

I did
Questions
Questions
Essay
Obviously deciding on the essay first :smile:
Original post by acedlol

Questions
Questions
Essay?

Essay?
Questions
Questions

Questions
Essay?
Questions

Gonna go for question essay question i think, make sure i get a conclusion on the essay
Original post by alittlehelp
Gonna go for question essay question i think, make sure i get a conclusion on the essay

Same. The essays are marked in their totality. If you haven't finished the essay by the end of the paper, you put yourself at a big disadvantage, whereas if you havent finished one of the 10 markers, eh, not that much of a big deal.
The way you're meant to do it.

Question
Question
Essay

There is no real time pressure in this exam!

An hour for a whole essay which doesn't need to be long anyway (4? sides) is plenty.
I think I'm gonna do both questions first and the essay last, although I'll decide which topics before I do anything. Sounds weird, but if I have the essay in the back of my mind I'll have some time to think about some ideas while I'm doing the structured questions. I find the time is harsher on the structured questions as well, so if I screw up a bit it won't matter, I can just end my essay earlier - you can still score highly with a short essay provided you wrap it up properly and have made the right points, whereas missing a whole question is -10 marks by default.

I have a mock exam on Tuesday - forgot just how much content there is to revise! :frown:
Original post by acedlol

Questions
Questions
Essay?

Essay?
Questions
Questions

Questions
Essay?
Questions

QQE.
Reply 192
QQE.

+1
Reply 193
Can I not get an A* if I got a B in one unit at AS level? I got 100% in unit one, but slipped to a high B in the skills paper :/
Original post by swbp
Can I not get an A* if I got a B in one unit at AS level? I got 100% in unit one, but slipped to a high B in the skills paper :/

Yeah you can.

80% overall, and 90% or more at A2 level.
Reply 195
Original post by tehforum
Yeah you can.

80% overall, and 90% or more at A2 level.

YAY. Okay now I have motivation :smile:
I might end up doing the essay first, now I've just read above about the totality! Though, considering I have extra time, this will just help me relax and plan out the essay first. The essay is worth the most marks and it's something I'm struggling in most so getting it out of the way then doing the questions will help me go over it in my head and see where it could be altered. Alternatively, if I'm doing one of the other topics (Such as Globalisation as the essay and World Cities as a 10-mark) the similarities in the topics will help jog my memory on what I need to put in the essay so if I realise I forgot something when doing the 10-marker, I can put it into the essay.
Original post by acedlol

Questions
Questions
Essay?

Essay?
Questions
Questions

Questions
Essay?
Questions

We had a talk from the chief examiner David Redfern and he said to do Essay Questions Questions, it's up what the individual's most comfortable with though tbf!
I've studied four topics for this exam - Development, Conflicts, Plate Tectonics and Weather. Left revision pretty late - not done that much and the exam's in six weeks! I'm really struggling with weather and was thinking above leaving it out and revising development, conflicts and plate tectonics (as we only actually have to answer 3 questions in the exam) What do people think about that, bad idea?

Any advice would be appreciated! :smile:
Reply 199
How many topics has everyone done? I've learnt plate tectonics, weather and climate and world cities.
Kinda worried as I've heard most schools do 4 topics, I guess if I learn all three 100% it shouldn't go too badly

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending