The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Interesting phrasing, most people ask if Scotland/Wales/Ireland should be an independent country.
(I don't really have a point, just something that struck me...)
Reply 2
Couldn't give a toss.
Reply 3
No, the Union should remain.
Reply 4
Saying England should be independent from the UK is like saying your body should be independent from your left arm... Just doesn't make much sense in my book...
Haha, I'm just picturing Wales as a sovereign nation....

N.B. Born in Cardiff I am a 'Welshman', although I live in England.
Reply 6
England would certainly do fine. The Scots might find their own way into the family of nations without difficulty either. However as far as the Welsh and Northern Irish are concerned I am much more doubtful as to whether they can manage without the rest......
More devolved power to the English people! Less nonsense about independence for the other places yet assuming England will be the UK regardless.
Reply 8
No. I would not back England isolating itself from others by seceding. On a more technical level, if England became independent it'd have to apply anew for EU membership, would lose its permanent representation on the UN Security Council and would lose much of the international prestige which Britain has as a former world power.

Original post by pantin
I think we could survive as an independent country.

About 90 percent of UK GDP is generated in England, so by ourselves we're one of the world's largest economies.

We would lose scotland's oil, but so what? Many countries don't have natural resources but are still wealthy.

No-one saying England is too poor to be independent.

Original post by Durido
England would certainly do fine. The Scots might find their own way into the family of nations without difficulty either. However as far as the Welsh and Northern Irish are concerned I am much more doubtful as to whether they can manage without the rest......

Well, if England was to become independent, there's nothing to suggest the UK would not continue to exist, just with rather less territory. I suspect some of those nationalist scoundrels in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland would find such a union more acceptable.
Reply 9
YES! Get their filthy imperialist paws off our lands.
Reply 10
While we have had our differences in the past, Britain's strength comes from its union of England, Scotland Ireland and Wales. The fact that one of the smallest places in the world rose to become a world superpower is testimony to that. Breaking it up could spell disaster for the 4 respective countries that make up the union.

However, independence from the EU would be highly desirable since it has done nothing to enhance this country and everything in it's power to destroy it socially and economcally.
No, we can't just leave Wales to fend for itself.
No - I like being part of the United Kingdom of England, Scotland, Wales and Northen Ireland. I don't see the point in all the countries going their seperate ways.
Reply 13
I don't see why everywhere must be it's own country. Sure you get your own national identity but you have to go it alone in this big wide world literally. United people are stronger. There is probably as much difference between Texas and Vermont as there is between Wales and England yet the states manage just fine together. Where does it end? should Cornwall be it's own country? they got their own language flag and customs. Even England was once a set of totally separate kingdoms. I say England, the UK, and the EU should all be together but there should of course be a sliding scale of autonomy to reflect the increasing regional differences as you go from London to Cornwall, from England to Scotland, and from the UK to the EU.
Reply 14
Not really no. There isn't such a thing as independence in the modern world anyway.
The idea is growing on me, primarily because I'm tired of the inequalities in public spending levels in England and Scotland. Why should Scottish residents get free prescriptions, free dental care and free university places while paying the same taxes as English residents who get none of these things?
Reply 16
Original post by Chucklefiend
The idea is growing on me, primarily because I'm tired of the inequalities in public spending levels in England and Scotland. Why should Scottish residents get free prescriptions, free dental care and free university places while paying the same taxes as English residents who get none of these things?

Oil
No, it should have a parliament though
Reply 18
Personally I think that while England would manage as an independent country, we are too intertwined with Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland to make it work very well. So much is spread between all four nations that if each was to gain independence, the arrangements for what to do with everything would be on such an enormous scale that it would be impractical. Maybe it will happen, but I think we'll need to go through either a full blown riot/revolution, or several progressive stages first.
The Scots have really shot themselves in the foot.

Salmond's referendum will probably get defeated when it comes. However, relations between England and Scotland will be bitter. We will see a surge in English nationalism and English people will start to question whether we should be independent.

And the case for English independence is much stronger. There is a feeling of ill towards the English from many of our neighbours, English issues are determined by British MP's regardless of their nationality whereas Scottish and Welsh issues are determined by their own MP's, and the Scots get so many benefits that are denied to (but perhaps paid by) the English.

Scotland's entire independence question is born out of nationalism and their countries foreign policy being determined in Westminster. A question of English independence could be backed up with a lot more substance.

Unless there is a resounding NO to Salmond's referendum (which there will not be), the union will be damaged beyond repair.

edit: For the record I am a staunch unionist that believes English independence is political suicide for these islands that once ruled the globe.

Latest

Trending

Trending