The Student Room Group
Work experience is a good & valuable experience as it allows you to see how human behaviour is in the 'real world.' I think its quite beneficial, you'll have lots to write about in your personal statement & may impress admissions tutors. I did quite a lot of work experience:
- Primary school, working with young children for 2 weeks.
- A hospice for 3 weeks.
- A school for children with learning disabilities and mental disorders.
- A playscheme working with Autistic children, children with downs syndrome.
I also do part time work at a health shop.

:smile:
Reply 2
Thanks!
I worked in the MoD on the human factors side of things, which was something i wrote about in my personal statement. I couldn't tell though whether it helped my application, although I got accepted to all my unis
Reply 4
xKTx
I worked in the MoD on the human factors side of things, which was something i wrote about in my personal statement. I couldn't tell though whether it helped my application, although I got accepted to all my unis

How did you manage to get that job?
Reply 5
I did work experience in a nursery with two autistic children as well as planning a weekend at a hospice for children whose parents have died, and working directly with the children on the weekend.

I think it does help, shows that you're really committed. I've got 4 offers, an interview and no rejections so I think it must have helped. The most important thing though is how you talk about it in your personal statement. Listing it isn't impressive, but showing that you enjoyed it and learnt from it is.
Reply 6
Well, i haven't had any specifically psychological work experience and i've had two rejections and not heard from the other four yet, so maybe it does help yeh.

regards
--marty
Reply 7
I'm in my final year of a Psychology degree and I didn't have any relevant work experience when I got a place at Uni.

However, work experience would be a great idea, something to add to your personal statement AND your CV. Also if it's related it may help you decide the type of career you want later on. At the moment I'm a support worker for people with learning disabilities and love it, so know that I might want to do something along those lines.

Other places to apply could be care homes for the elderly, an assistant for a child with autism or somewhere like I work. Would all add an edge to your application. Good Luck!
Chester
How did you manage to get that job?

well my dad works there, but that only got me so far (as in knowing about the job). I still had to hand in a CV and go for an interview - and when one of the first questions is 'what does C4ISTAR mean?' it wasn't exactly easy...

But I went back in the next summer (well the summer just gone) and getting sponsored by them, with a guaranteed job each summer of uni :smile:
Reply 9
I'm an international student so don't ask me how or the contacts to my placements :smile: But when we were in Year 12 it was compulsary for us to do Work Experience so I worked in a Primary School concentrating with younger years (Year 1s specifically) everyday for 2 weeks.

The reason why I chose to do this was because I mentioned in my PS that I was interested in the Developmental/Cog-D area within Psych and my work experience has played a significant role in making that decision. However I'd like to do the Psych course in general to see what it may offer me.

I also did Community Service work with YMCA Playgroups on Saturday mornings (for 2 years), Group Leadership work with a local Chinese primary school teaching them English (1 year) ... and yeah.. that's about it.
Reply 10
You could also, as well as work experience, do shortcourses in areas of your choice. Community colleges often offer like 10 week courses, one night a week, where you do a course in e.g. domestic violence, schizophrenia, depression, research methods etc etc. Not as exciting as the hands on approach but still very beneficial and would demonstrate a keen interest in the subject to admissions tutors
Reply 11
Thanks guys, that's really useful food for thought.

BTW, I am a PA to a paraplegic teenage boy. Do you reckon that will help?
Reply 12
Erm well not really relevant in terms of direct work experience cause, forgive my ignorance if wrong, paraplegic sufferers don't have mental problems or anything psychologically based. But then again if you've helped his kid come to terms with it and stuff then yeah definitely good real world experience. If I were you, I'd use it in terms of in your personal statement mentioning it and how the experience benefited you (e.g. reinforced your desire to work with people and help them, or like increased your maturity and sense of responsibility etc).
Reply 13
nickb123
Erm well not really relevant in terms of direct work experience cause, forgive my ignorance if wrong, paraplegic sufferers don't have mental problems or anything psychologically based. But then again if you've helped his kid come to terms with it and stuff then yeah definitely good real world experience. If I were you, I'd use it in terms of in your personal statement mentioning it and how the experience benefited you (e.g. reinforced your desire to work with people and help them, or like increased your maturity and sense of responsibility etc).

Yeah - well said. Make sure anything you write in your personal statement is relevant to what you want to do. You can turn stuff around to make it relevant, as NickB just said. And make sure that for everything you write, write how it helped you and how it would be useful for your future.

I looked hard for work experience for psychology this time last year.. but I found it very difficult to find any cos of the confidental nature of the subject. There are some forms of work expeirience which are related.. as most people have mentioned above, but dont feel work experience is necessary. Just show that you have passion for the subject and your a hardworker and your determined.. which obviously you are because your researching into it all here.

Good luck

M xxx
Reply 14
Thanks!

Latest