The Student Room Group

BTEC Extended Diploma in Applied Science Level 3

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tusin
hello could you please help me understand the difference between btec level 3 90 credit diploma in applied science to BTEC Extended Diploma in Applied Science Level 3 if any difference

BTEC Level 3 90 credit diploma is 9 units (Worth 90 credits in total - In some cases instead of doing one 10 credit unit you may do two units worth 5 credits) which will equal to an overall of 2 grades. So from PP up to the highest D*D*.

Usually in most colleges after the first of the 2 years of a level 3 BTEC, you get a BTEC Level 3 90 credit diploma.

This can then be topped up with another 9 units in the second year in order for it to become a Level 3 Extended National Diploma in Applied Science. So altogether you'd have completed 18 units which will give you an overall of 3 grades. So from PPP up to the highest of D*D*D*. These will have different UCAS point values.
The 90-credit diploma is in most cases the first year of the extended diploma and as Serena17 said the second year (another 90 credits worth of units) will top that up to an Extended Diploma

the 90 credit is worth 1.5 A levels and you will get 2 grades, for example DM the first grade corresponds to a full A level and the second grade an AS level and this has a maximum grade of D*D* worth 210 UCAS points(140 + 70)

the Extended Diploma (180 credits) is worth 3 A levels (1.5 + another 1.5) and thus has 3 grades e.g. D*DD these grades all corresponds to being worth one full A level each, so D*DD = A*AA at A level

To get into university generally you will need to take the full extended diploma, alternatively you can take the 90-credit diploma alone but to get into uni you will need to take another 1.5 or more likely 2 A levels or other equivalent level 3 qualification alongside it

Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by nikkinikki123
The first year I got D*. I am hoping at the end of this course to achieve D*D*D*. However I really want to be a brain surgeon or a Forensic Pathologist, what degree should I study first in order to then go to medical school because I am already aware I cannot go straight into Medicine with this diploma (I am pretty sure). Thank-you.

Mate if I were you I would honestly email the universities directly since thats what I have been doing. Some unis want you to have Alevel chemistry whereas other want a minimum of 2:1 in ANY degree. Also if I were in your place I would do something like biomedical science but once you start your undergrad I would talk to your personal advisor about your future plans and whether or not this degree is the right choice! Good thing about life science degrees is that everyone studies the same units during the first year of their undergrad so if you decide to move onto another life science degree usually you can do that in your second year, This is the rule for my uni (Manchester) so Im not sure if this applies to any other university.

The entry requirements vary and to be honest graduate entry medicine is way more competitive than undergrad considering not many unis do the course and the ones that do have limited places. If I were you I wouldn't just focus on getting the right degree but also doing relevant work experience starting now since you will need a solid foundation to apply.

Hope I helped :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 764
Hey guys! I would like to know if it's still possible to do btec level 3 applied science without having a additional science qualification (Double science).

thank you
Original post by Rauline
Hey guys! I would like to know if it's still possible to do btec level 3 applied science without having a additional science qualification (Double science).

thank you

What qualification do you have?
Reply 766
I'm gonna be done with my BTEC Science by around February, Looking to get D*D*D*, Currently on DMM. Going to be going to Aston/Portsmouth Uni hopefully! :smile:
Hello, I am currently studying level 3 extended diploma in medical science, I have just started and would really like some extra help towards my coursework. If you are free and available could you please help me as I would really like to make a eager start and complete all course work with distinction grades.
Pursue your dream yes It is available as I am doing it at college without having a double science qualification only core.
hi people of the internet, im currently on my second year of science double btec, but the highest grade i can get is a PP, how many ucas points is this and the only other subject i do is ICT single BTEC. PLEASE HELP
the units i have done and are doing is
1,2,4,6,8,18,32 - Year 1
3,5,11,20,36,38 - Year 2

Thanks for the help
Can you help me with unit 1 Fundamentals of science. I am struggling bcos i don't get help from my science teacher.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Segamad66
hi people of the internet, im currently on my second year of science double btec, but the highest grade i can get is a PP, how many ucas points is this and the only other subject i do is ICT single BTEC. PLEASE HELP
the units i have done and are doing is
1,2,4,6,8,18,32 - Year 1
3,5,11,20,36,38 - Year 2

Thanks for the help

Please can you help me out with my applied science work. I am on unit 1

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone done the units 5,12,13,16,18,20,28,43 and 42
Hi i'm struggling with working in the science industry
Reply 774
yes you can :smile: my friend also did the course and she now does biomedical in uni as she got a D*DD
Reply 775
Original post by NaumanZoSo
Yeah Im hopefully to get D*D*D I have applied to Lancaster, Nottingham, Hertfordshire, Sussex, Plymouth. Im applying for Bsc Honours in Biology and Psychology

I got 3 Offers which are Nottingham, Hertfordshire, Sussex and 1 Rejection. Also got a interview on the 16th for lancaster.

If you need any help darling private message with your coursework:smile:

Hi would like to have some help in personal statement as I'm doing BTEC level3 Science and this is my last year and I wanted to apply for optometry in Uni.

Also would like to Know the links of A level u used in ur course work.
Thanks.
Reply 776
Can anyone explain how you reference in BTEC? I get that we have to use Harvard referencing but I don't understand if we have to do it so for example at the end of every sentence we put the number and then the corresponding website at the end of our work or if we just have to make a list of references at the end (images and info)
Or is either fine?
My teachers haven't explained properly so I'm sort of confused lol.
Original post by n.s.k98
Can anyone explain how you reference in BTEC? I get that we have to use Harvard referencing but I don't understand if we have to do it so for example at the end of every sentence we put the number and then the corresponding website at the end of our work or if we just have to make a list of references at the end (images and info)
Or is either fine?
My teachers haven't explained properly so I'm sort of confused lol.

I choose not to follow that because its just long and annoying
what i do is write the title of the stuff the website is talking about in italics. Then available: the website and then last accessed: the date
Hope that helped:smile:
Original post by nourxray
I choose not to follow that because its just long and annoying
what i do is write the title of the stuff the website is talking about in italics. Then available: the website and then last accessed: the date
Hope that helped:smile:

use the neils tool box which is on google u fill in the blanks it makes the reference for you
hey I'm struggling with unit 6 please help

Quick Reply