The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by usycool1
Oh, and two grammatical questions:

What's the difference between "there" and "their?" (I know about "they're," but I still don't understand the difference between the other two :frown: )

And what's the difference between "practice" and "practise?" I really need to improve my grammar :frown:
There: usually a location, but not always.
Look at the dog over there!

There is a dog in the road.

Their: something belonging to a group of people or an unnamed person.
The tourists stayed in their tents.

A robber broke in last night - we saw their footprints.

Practise - a verb. Practice - a noun.

I was practising playing guitar last night.

I visited the dental practice earlier.

To get better, make sure you do your piano practice!
Revising for Music exam which is in a week... :/
Only on TSR would all the year 11's be furios over the OCR maintenace anout two hours after it went down :rolleyes:

What's the difference between "there" and "their?" (I know about "they're," but I still don't understand the difference between the other two :frown: )

And what's the difference between "practice" and "practise?" I really need to improve my grammar :frown:

'There' means a place as in 'Let's go over there' or 'I am going to spank you there' hehe naughty me.

'Their' denotes possession as in 'How could you steal their handbag' or 'Their dinner was cold so they got a refund'
Original post by GreenLantern1
OCR gateway or OCR 21Century like Pandora?

Gateway, like you...
Yeah, I'm referring to the mock and specimen papers :smile:

Same, I always get the easy questions wrong (as I did in my C1 mock last week :frown: ) because of silly mistakes and the hard questions right :tongue:

Are you doing the GCSE Linear new spec as well? I'm kinda worreid as we have only done AS and Additional Maths this year, and last year we did Statitics only. So we haven't covered any GCSE Maths since Year 9. It would have made sense if they had just let us take the GCSE exam in year 9 then !!!! Will have to go through a few past papers to gt me up to speed in half term then.
Original post by Pandora.

Think of advise and advice if you are getting confused about practice and practise. Makes it a lot more easier for me (Damn why am I giving tips to the competiition lol)
Original post by multiplexing-gamer
Gateway, like you...

Woooooo.... you doing core and additional? Additional IIRC. You did B1C1P1 and B2C2P2 last year I take it. You done B3C3P3 yet or not?
Lol you learn something new everyday :tongue:

It should be fairly straight forward after adding the powers. What part are you stuck on/don't get?

But the answer isn't adding the powers.
Also what fraction of pie is it?
Just confused with the whole thing to be honest!
Are you doing the GCSE Linear new spec as well? I'm kinda worreid as we have only done AS and Additional Maths this year, and last year we did Statitics only. So we haven't covered any GCSE Maths since Year 9. It would have made sense if they had just let us take the GCSE exam in year 9 then !!!! Will have to go through a few past papers to gt me up to speed in half term then.

Yeah, I am also doing it :smile: We stopped GCSE revision about last year so I'm also going to wizz through some past papers soon :smile:
Yeah, I am also doing it :smile: We stopped GCSE revision about last year so I'm also going to wizz through some past papers soon :smile:

11 and 13th June? I have 7 exams that week (so in 5 days). Thankfully these 2 maths exams are included so no actual knowledge required!
Original post by Pandora.

'There' means a place as in 'Let's go over there' or 'I am going to spank you there' hehe naughty me.

'Their' denotes possession as in 'How could you steal their handbag' or 'Their dinner was cold so they got a refund'

I know their is belonging to, so OCR has taken their website down. Not sure about the practise one

Original post by Caz.123
Their is possessive as in 'belonging to them'. There is generally a place eg 'over there'.
Practise is a verb 'i need to practise my grammar', practice is a noun 'i'm going to netball practice'.
Hope this helps!

Thanks everyone! :biggrin: For the "practice/practise" one, which one would I use if I say that I did "writing practice/practise?"
Woooooo.... you doing core and additional? Additional IIRC. You did B1C1P1 and B2C2P2 last year I take it. You done B3C3P3 yet or not?

Are you taking a Science A-levels?

I did B1C1P1 and git A*
B2C2P2 and got A*
B3C3P3 doing it this summer
B4C4P4 1 UMS off A*!
11 and 13th June? I have 7 exams that week (so in 5 days). Thankfully these 2 maths exams are included so no actual knowledge required!

Yup, they're on the 11th and 13th of June :smile: Wow, I only have 4 exams in that week :smile:
I am doing the new Edexcel Linear Maths GCSE eams both this June. My god I hope the boundaries are that low - it would be great :smile:

In Edexcel exams how do you calculate the median? If I were to find the median of this frequency table:

11,8,3,3,3,2 11, 8, 3, 3, 3, 2

Would I negate the duplicates or not? On line sources say you're not supposed to but in the book it seems like they negated them.
Thanks everyone! :biggrin: For the "practice/practise" one, which one would I use if I say that I did "writing practice/practise?"
I'd say practise, but I've never been 100% sure with the practice/practises. :colondollar:
Are you taking a Science A-levels?

I did B1C1P1 and git A*
B2C2P2 and got A*
B3C3P3 doing it this summer
B4C4P4 1 UMS off A*!

I am doing Chemistry and Physics at A-Level; wanted to do Biology as well but I want to have a life and not suffer from the workload.

B1C1P1 100 A*
B2C2P2 100 A*

What marks you get? Unlucky about the 1 UMS, but then you can always make up for it in B3C3P3

And then I am not doing additional; have moved onto triple now. Did the 1,2,3's in jan and am doing 4,5,6 this June!

There means "It's over there", their means "Their chocolate tastes delicious".

Practise is just an alternate way to spell Practice, and I think it's American.
Original post by x-Sophie-x
But the answer isn't adding the powers.
Also what fraction of pie is it?
Just confused with the whole thing to be honest!

Really? That's strange...
The fraction stays the same...
What's the correct answer? This is what I got:

2π2r53\dfrac{2\pi^{2}r^{5}}{3}

But it must be wrong then if you don't add the powers...
Original post by InvertedLayman
In Edexcel exams how do you calculate the median? If I were to find the median of this frequency table:

11,8,3,3,3,2 11, 8, 3, 3, 3, 2

Would I negate the duplicates or not? On line sources say you're not supposed to but in the book it seems like they negated them.

I personally wouldn't negate them for any exam. Never come across the fact that you should negate them!

I would say it is 3.

Latest