Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

need a little advice career/training choice Watch

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    I am 20 years old, and considering my options. I want to go into IT, but not sure the path to go down. I currently have a GCSE C grade, an as level, and a functional skills level 2 in ict.

I have just completed a carpentry course, and then decided I wanted to go into IT. I have been thinking alot about doing the Comptia A+, and then heading down that route, but I am thinking if this is the best decision. I have also applied for doing voluntary work in IT support.

Basically what I am asking is should I consider a college course/ open uni course, or anything else like that. Thoughts please.

ReputationRep:
    i would suggest you complete a university course as i have known people to have to make up a lot of ground work in the future simply because they did not complete a degree. I would also think very carefully about which area interests you the most, for example, software developers are very sought after today and hence it maybe a specific degree you wish to undertake. Chris

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inspire-chris.)
    i would suggest you complete a university course as i have known people to have to make up a lot of ground work in the future simply because they did not complete a degree. I would also think very carefully about which area interests you the most, for example, software developers are very sought after today and hence it maybe a specific degree you wish to undertake. Chris
    Cheers for the reply, and the area I want to go into is techinician/networking. I dont think I have enough ucas points to get into a uni, there is open university, but thats not till next september.

ReputationRep:
    Tech support jobs generally have lower entry requirements than software development. It's not necessary for you to have a university degree for the entry level jobs. It would help if you had a good proficiency with Windows and Unix/Linux to start off with.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: March 11, 2012
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How are you feeling about Results Day?
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Quick link:

Unanswered IT and technology threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.