Stalling Watch

Ryan
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
My mate passed her test yesterday and she stalls so much, I stalled twice when I first started and that's it :confused: Do most people still stall after passing?

Anyway, just wondering if it's bad for her car? Surely it can't be good :confused:

Ta
Dimez
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Report her to the DSA to retract her Pass Certificate until she learns to stop stalling.
OMGWTF
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
lol No. Every now and again people will do it, because the engine is cold or lack of concentration or something. But thats like, once every 500/1000 miles
Juno
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I stalled loads in the lesson before my test, but then didn't during my test!

It's a safety mechanism thing to prevent damage from occuring to the engine, so it can't be that bad.
samie
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i stalled once on my test 2 minutes after it started before i went onto a roundabout....lol
panda11
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I know someone who stalled 6 times in their test and still passed...

I haven't got through a 2 hr lesson yet without stalling (and I've had about 20). I usually stall just as it occurs to me that I haven't yet stalled. Meh.
lovelee-jublee
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I used to stall every lesson, but then coming up to my test when I was getting more confident I rarely did it.

Then when I passed and went in my own car I stalled LOADS! Is your friend in a different car to what she learned in, because it took me about a day to get used to the clutch in my own car...it's so sensitive compared to the one I learned in - I still stall now, but not nearly as often as I used to.
xXxEmmaxXx
Report 12 years ago
I use to stall about 4 times at first and the went to not stalling at all. Sometimes I would think wow I haven't stalled yet and then I stalled. But these days its all good, no stalling.
chaoringmeister
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Get her to open the throttle more, boot up the revs help.
flyboy123
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Stalling isnt great for the car. It happens because the gear is too high for the speed...ie the revs and so there is to much strain on the engine and the engine cannot turn the engine over. Its like, if you try ot go up a steep hilll on your bike in a high gear and after a while you just cant turn the pedals. You should have gone to a lower gear and then you would have been able to keep going but when you cant turn the padeals you "stall"

It does put some strain on the engine but its not too bad
snmichaels
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by flyboy123)
...so there is to much strain on the engine and the engine cannot turn the engine over.
^o)
ciderpeter
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Chances are if they have an old crappy car then it is likely they will stall a fair bit, as they have gone from a new car they learnt in (probably) which will have a relatively low bite point if the clutch is well maintained, to having a high biting point in an old clutch which may be harder to control...

Am i right in thinking that it is much harder to stall a diesel car? So if they learnt in a diesel and are now in a petrol car, that may explain it.

Its mostly about clutch control which any new driver wont be great at... but after a few months you learn the car well enough to pull away in 4th etc...
snmichaels
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Pull away in 4th, and roast the clutch :rolleyes:

Yeah, diesels are very difficult to stall. In most cases, you don't even need to give it throttle, just release the clutch and you're off.
john williams
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Nope hardly ever stall..only when in a rush and quickly go to move off...u either stall or wheel spin!
Leigh
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
She's probably in a very different, older, less learner friendly car than she's used to driving. It's probably only the second car (therefore clutch) she's ever driven, and she's probably still a bit nervous about being out on her own.
She'll be fine in a week, max.
dimexi
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
There is NOTHING wrong with stalling; Stalling doesn't make you a bad driver; and it's not even a fault on the driving test (depending on the where it happens)...*sigh*
dimexi
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by ciderpeter)
Chances are if they have an old crappy car then it is likely they will stall a fair bit, as they have gone from a new car they learnt in (probably) which will have a relatively low bite point if the clutch is well maintained, to having a high biting point in an old clutch which may be harder to control...

Am i right in thinking that it is much harder to stall a diesel car? So if they learnt in a diesel and are now in a petrol car, that may explain it.

Its mostly about clutch control which any new driver wont be great at... but after a few months you learn the car well enough to pull away in 4th etc...
That's VERY bad advice!!!!
ciderpeter
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by dimexi)
That's VERY bad advice!!!!
Useful for when you are driving in traffic on a motorway and have a drink in one hand and mobile phone in the other.... dont have to put anything down then.

One of my many tricks of the driving trade... i recently built a cruise control system for my car consisting of a breeze block.
OMGWTF
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Useful for when you are driving in traffic on a motorway and have a drink in one hand and mobile phone in the other.... dont have to put anything down then.

One of my many tricks of the driving trade... i recently built a cruise control system for my car consisting of a breeze block.
Your an idiot
snmichaels
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I think he's joking :rolleyes:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (234)
27.3%
No (623)
72.7%

Watched Threads