Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CINCSTRIKE)
    Think these things just take as long as they take
    Precisely.

What was that phrase? "War is 10% sheer terror and 90% utter boredom"? Something along those lines. I say the more used to it we all get now the better!

ReputationRep:
    Famous saying for anyone joining the RAF.....

"HURRY UP..........AND WAIT"

ReputationRep:
    I guess it comes in bursts... you spent months waiting for a 4 day OASC date, then after that you spend weeks waiting for a letter... all the way up to the day you leave the RAF. :p:
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Larry, the average timescale of application to getting into IOT is 1.5 years, so don't worry too much about how much time has gone by. I know how frustrating it can be, Gemma knows well that I applied in January 2005, went to OASC January 2006 and now I have to wait until April to get my results. If I get a July IOT, that will be 1.5 years from application.

ReputationRep:
    It's been 6 months for me to get to OASC, not as long as BlackHawk I know, but I had the Christmas period to wait through, during which time the OASC packs up and has itself a holiday. (How dare they? :p:)

ReputationRep:
    The same for me - from application it took 3 months to get a filter interview, 3 months from the interview to OASC, sure, i got a provisional answer within 2 weeks but i still had another 5 months until i started RTS - which incidentally is a 5 week course condensed into 9 weeks (due to all the waiting around we did). I'm now on a month of waiting until my next course.

Get used to it now mate, it'll be with you forever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rizza Razzu)
    RTS - which incidentally is a 5 week course condensed into 9 weeks (due to all the waiting around we did).
    Do you mean 5 weeks expanded in to 9 because there are gaps during recruit training? Or am I mis-reading?

ReputationRep:
    No, 5 weeks worth of content condensed into 9 because of all the standing around in the cold doing nothing between activities - it's all part of forming discipline and stuff.

Apparently.

Personally, i thought it was great for forming colds and illnesses.

ReputationRep:
    Er, doesn't condensed mean to make smaller, or more tightly packed?

ReputationRep:
    I was hoping somebody would spot the irony in it.

Alas, no joy.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    They'll learn soon enough Rizza

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rizza Razzu)
    Famous saying for anyone joining the RAF.....

"HURRY UP..........AND WAIT"

Amen to that :p:

My Basic Trade Training could have been reduced by months if all the waiting doing nothing had been taken out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlackHawk)
    I was part of a testing group for aptitude tests that are coming in at the end of this year for Officer candidates. They are rock hard, let's hope I don't have to resit next year!
    Was that the one with all the stupid planes flying around?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by puk2184)
    Was that the one with all the stupid planes flying around?
    yeah i did that one five different coloured planes with qs such as which one entered the screen first...

ReputationRep:
    That test was ridiculous - the lady there told us that they're that ridiculous that OASC were not going to include it in future tests.

ReputationRep:
    Don't know about anyone else, but I found them near impossible - each plane does about 3/4 manouvers, then some question like "what was the blue plane's third manouver?". I agree, it was daft, what exactly was it meant to test?

ReputationRep:
    I also found them near impossible and i have no idea what they were trying to prove. Attention to detail, short term memory, perhaps ?
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Rizza, OASC has decided to use that test as of the end of this year.

ReputationRep:
    Well, best of luck to all the RAFs future Officers then !

ReputationRep:
    Could someone clear this up for me? I was having a peek around at the RAF community site to see what sort of information I could find on what life will be like in the RAF. I took a glance at the following page, and was a bit confused about how the tables worked. My preferred option of weapon technician shows that the higher pay band is for the first rank, but nothing afterwards, does this mean that in the weapon technician trade you cannot get promoted to corporal and beyond?

http://www.rafcom.co.uk/pay_allowanc...ding/tg_15.cfm

I'd like to hope that if I'm choosing this as a career, there are some prospects to move up into non-comissioned officer ranks. Or am I just being dumb and not understanding this right? (as usual!)

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.