Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    Oh dear, a woefully over optimistic idea about the RAF's use of technology! They'll have a magic piece of paper with the holes cut out in the right place for the correct box, then count up the number of little X's that appear through the holes. It's done that way so that Regt Officers can mark tests.

TPD
    *on a mission to insult as many people as possible today* :eek:
    They can't even manage that. I'm sure we have been made to mark each other CCS papers in the past. Proves too complicated for our rockape counterparts.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    They also don't twig the 2 crosses on a row trick, there by doubling your chances of getting one right!

Not that I ever.......................

ReputationRep:
    Of course you haven't :p:

I've got said CCS this month. The joys of getting gassed!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CKinnerley)
    Well, as they said they would I just got a call from the AFCO and my AST is next thursday the 13th (lucky me), I have to say this is getting along a lot faster than I first expected.

Unfortunately however I picked up the phone and, out of habit because that and the evenings are mostly the times of day when I'm greeting people, said "good morning"... at 03:30 in the afternoon. I'm going to hate myself for weeks.
    will you let us know how you get on next thurs ive got mine on the 8th may. after the presentation today they put peoples dates in order of which trades were open and the 8th was the earliest date so hopefully the trades open have you heard this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by larry182)
    will you let us know how you get on next thurs ive got mine on the 8th may. after the presentation today they put peoples dates in order of which trades were open and the 8th was the earliest date so hopefully the trades open have you heard this?
    Well it's this thursday now mate, tomorrow morning in fact, 08:30, I'll certainly be posting up to say how it went. They didn't do any ordering of test dates with the people at my P3, to my knowledge anyway. Then again I'd already done my generic military application form (you know, the yellow one) before the presentation, so I got my AST date relatively quickly compared to everyone else who would have had to have gone away to fill the form out, return it and get it checked before getting their date.

Which trade are you going for?

ReputationRep:
    going for weapons technician but i think the test covers most of the trades. cant remember if you have said in the past whether or not you have had an interview but the guy i was speaking to said you do your test and then if you pass you have to keep ringing every couple of weeks to see if the trade is open and when it is then you get your interview is this the same for you? bit late now but good luck with this morning!

ReputationRep:
    Well, I've just got back and sat down, hasn't really sunk in yet, but I just passed for all trades! I cannot put in to words how relieved I am, I had these visions swimming around in my head of just sitting down in an interview room and being told "sorry, but you failed this time, come back in a year", but fortunately my fears have been laid to rest.

I didn't do too great on work rate unfortunately, ran out of time half way through the questions. However I apparently "scored well" on every other section, even on electrical comprehension and the memory tests which to be honest did not seem easy when I was actually doing them.

going for weapons technician but i think the test covers most of the trades. cant remember if you have said in the past whether or not you have had an interview but the guy i was speaking to said you do your test and then if you pass you have to keep ringing every couple of weeks to see if the trade is open and when it is then you get your interview is this the same for you? bit late now but good luck with this morning!
    Sorry to pass on bad news mate, but Weapons Tech just closed yesterday evening, of all the times eh? If only I could've done my test just a day earlier! :rolleyes:

But anyway interviews. Basically you're right yes, you take the AST and if you pass that and your trade isn't unavailable you'll get a date for your interview. If it is unavailable (as in our cases) you have to phone them up every couple of weeks to keep checking until it does become available. The staff at the AFCO did say to me however that since Weapons Tech only just closed there is a chance they may not have entirely filled the quota of recruits, and then of course there may be some people who fail on something medical or simply decide not to carry on with the process.

ReputationRep:
    well done on that mate but dammit!where do you stand with them now then are you considering a diferent trade that might be open or are you just going to wait and keep ringing them?

ReputationRep:
    well done on that mate but dammit!where do you stand with them now then are you considering a diferent trade that might be open or are you just going to wait and keep ringing them?
    There are a few other trades available that they mentioned, but none of them were in the Technician type areas; fighter controller, aerial erector, gunner, that kind of thing. Fact of the matter is, I want to be a Weapons Technician, and if I have to wait until 2007 to be one then I will.

Of course up until then it's fingers crossed, I'll keep calling every 2-3 weeks, as there may well be a place which opens up, apparently it's been available for quite a while, so it would appear from that information that it's not the trade in highest demand.

ReputationRep:
    my problem with that is i wanted to be wsop so now although i chose weapons tech im not as focused on one job any more i want to get in the raf and would probably find a lot of the trades interesting but i cant help feeling like i want to be more in the action. however i think you played it right because one of the guys said that if you change your mind once knowing a tade was shut itl will be picked up on in your interview and will go against you because they will see it as your just trying to get in and will take whats ever available and because of this you are more likely to drop out once realising the jobs not for you. does that make sense?

out of interest have you considered the raf regiment?i get the impression they are always pushing for people to join it but i dont really know much about it. ive always had the impression its not looked upon as a good career choice.

ReputationRep:
    my problem with that is i wanted to be wsop so now although i chose weapons tech im not as focused on one job any more i want to get in the raf and would probably find a lot of the trades interesting but i cant help feeling like i want to be more in the action. however i think you played it right because one of the guys said that if you change your mind once knowing a tade was shut itl will be picked up on in your interview and will go against you because they will see it as your just trying to get in and will take whats ever available and because of this you are more likely to drop out once realising the jobs not for you. does that make sense?
    I get what you're saying yes. On the other hand I guess it might be possible that they'll look upon it positively in that you're really keen on joining, but then again that does seem rather unlikely. I don't think they'd mark you down hugely for changing trade though, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't advise you on which other trades were open if it was seen as very negative to change, that's purely my conjecture though.

I was originally going for WSOp myself to, but as I've mentioned previously my eyesight wasn't up to spec. To be honest though I think really I was only going for that because I wanted Crewman, if I'd been assigned EW or Acoustics I don't think I would've enjoyed it much. With Weapons Tech I'm far more confident that I'll enjoy any role I could be put in to, maybe it's fate or something :p:

out of interest have you considered the raf regiment?i get the impression they are always pushing for people to join it but i dont really know much about it. ive always had the impression its not looked upon as a good career choice.
    I did pick up a little bit of info today as it happens. Apparently it's been a priority trade for a long time, not sure why, I can only guess if people want to be an infantry soldier they tend go to the Army first. I certainly wouldn't say it's a bad career choice, I've never seen or heard any evidence to support that myself, you'll end up an RAF Airman just like any other recruit, and I know there's a certain section of the regiment which is parachute qualified. Then again there undoubtedly is a lot I still don't know, there may be other reasons people aren't attracted to it, hopefully someone around here can enlighten us.

I can see certain reasons why I myself might go for it, but the general trend from what I've seen appears to be that they spend the majority of their time sitting on the edges of airfields keeping a look out, and that's not something that I think I personally would like. Technicians will of course spend a lot of time in the same place, but atleast you'll mostly have something to be getting on with, rather than just sitting amoungst the camo netting scanning the surroundings through a scope.

ReputationRep:
    Congrats CK! Fingers crossed something opens up for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CINCSTRIKE)
    Congrats CK! Fingers crossed something opens up for you.
    Fingers crossed is definitely the phrase mate. The Corporals at the AFCO I spoke to seemed to be relatively confident that there would be a few extra openings and/or people dropping out, and they would be the ones in the know after all, so personally I think I'm in with a chance. But hey if nothing comes up I can go out and get a bit of work experience until it does open again, it won't do me any harm at the filter interview.

ReputationRep:
    hey not sure if youve had any develpments since last thursday (i know its not even been a week yet) but you may have got lucky! any way over the weekened spoke to an old friend of mine who i had know idea was going in the RAF she had just finished her nine weeks basic training last week. now what she said could be taken both ways but she said the majority of the recruits in her section were weapons technicians

you any idea on the numbers the trade takes every year?

ReputationRep:
    Can't say I do no, and I'd guess that's probably because the numbers vary massively. It would appear that with Officer jobs like Pilot they look for X number of people per year and they'll always get more applicants than there are slots, but with trades they could get fewer applicants than slots, hence the existance of the "priority" status. In fact the reason there are the different statuses for trades, and to my knowledge, not for officer (it certainly isn't often mentioned anyway) is a good bit of evidence for presuming that the numbers for a trades intake varies greatly each year.

Although to be honest man, I'm not sure why you say this is lucky. I mean if a lot of Weapons Techs. just came out of RTS surely that is an indicator that they've got plenty of those rather than meaning they don't have enough.

ReputationRep:
    when i said you may have got lucky i was referring to the first bit that you might have heard something all ready even though it hadnt been a week yet.

what i found out is not lucky at all. i was told at my afco that once a trade has closed it could take up to 18 months for it to open again thats what im worried about.

ReputationRep:
    when i said you may have got lucky i was referring to the first bit that you might have heard something all ready even though it hadnt been a week yet.

what i found out is not lucky at all. i was told at my afco that once a trade has closed it could take up to 18 months for it to open again thats what im worried about.
    My misunderstanding, sorry about that. But no I haven't heard anything because I haven't phoned them again yet, they recommended once a month so it's a bit too soon at the moment. However I may call them next monday since it's possible someone might have dropped out or an extra slot appeared from somewhere between last thursday and next week, worth a shot at any rate.

The 18 months thing is a bit worrying yes, I'd definitely be rather upset by having to wait that long, but if I have to then I will. However do remember they said up to, that is a maximum.

ReputationRep:
    might sound an obvious/ stupid question but what is the dress code for attending your AFCO for the aptitude test?

ReputationRep:
    Well, you dress in a fashion with which you wish to be perceived. Every time I've been down it's smart leather shoes, black trousers, white shirt, tie, coat and one of these suitcase/shoulder bag things that everyone in London seems to have. Most other people going for trades seem to turn up in jeans and t-shirt, however I don't think that's the best idea.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    if you change your mind once knowing a tade was shut itl will be picked up on in your interview and will go against you because they will see it as your just trying to get in and will take whats ever available and because of this you are more likely to drop out once realising the jobs not for you. does that make sense?
    Or they'll think that after looking into other jobs, you've become more informed and realised what job is right for you.

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.