arvin_infinity
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Some sees contain lipids. Describe how you could use emulsion test to show that a seed contains lipids (3marks)

someone please correct me if am wrong !
Here is my attempt:

1) Place the seeds into a test tube containing ethanol -shake the test tube
2) lipids dissolves in ethanol- Pour the lipid-ethanol mixture into a clean test tube with a equivalent volume of water
3) White cloudy emulsion is formed. lipid comes out the mixture solution and forms a emulsion of top of the water

+rep
Snowfreeze
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Not 100% sure, but wouldn't you have to crush the seeds first before they can react with the ethanol?
arvin_infinity
Rep:
?
(Original post by Snowfreeze)
Not 100% sure, but wouldn't you have to crush the seeds first before they can react with the ethanol?
Oh you might very well be right actually !! sadly dont have the mark scheme to it so not sure
Snowfreeze
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by arvin_infinity)
Oh you might very well be right actually !! sadly dont have the mark scheme to it so not sure
It says here to crush the sample: http://www.brilliantbiologystudent.c...sion_test.html

It doesn't say how you should do it, but I remember my biology teacher saying to use a flat knife
TheWorldEndsWithMe
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Was this in the AQA exam? I remember this question from the paper and the generally accepted answer was that you had to crush the seeds first.
Where'sPerry?
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I remember this question... I have a feeling it was the very first one on the AQA exam of this year. Am I right? I wrote pretty much what you posted, except I wrote that you need to crush the seeds first.
arvin_infinity
Rep:
?
It says here to crush the sample: http://www.brilliantbiologystudent.c...sion_test.html

It doesn't say how you should do it, but I remember my biology teacher saying to use a flat knife
You defo right then! +repped
am gonna remember the image (crushing the seeds) :P

(Original post by Where'sPerry?)
I remember this question... I have a feeling it was the very first one on the AQA exam of this year. Am I right? I wrote pretty much what you posted, except I wrote that you need to crush the seeds first.
Not sure cuz am doing OCR

(Original post by TheWorldEndsWithMe)
Was this in the AQA exam? I remember this question from the paper and the generally accepted answer was that you had to crush the seeds first.
Not sure ..the paper looks like OCR papers (like a v old paper)
thegodofgod
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

You could probably also use a mortar + pestle too (given the seeds are small enough)
Where'sPerry?
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
the paper looks like OCR papers (like a v old paper)
That's really weird, the AQA one was a 3 marker as well!
arvin_infinity
Rep:
?
That's really weird, the AQA one was a 3 marker as well!
One can think AQA doesnt have enough question so it steals from other boards..or maybe they both have problems and using each others
Where'sPerry?
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
One can think AQA doesnt have enough question so it steals from other boards..or maybe they both have problems and using each others
Ahaha, I had a sudden vision of representatives from the exam boards meeting in some shady alleyway and hastily swapping envelopes containing questions :')
arvin_infinity
Rep:
?
Ahaha, I had a sudden vision of representatives from the exam boards meeting in some shady alleyway and hastily swapping envelopes containing questions :')
Hahaha yeh representative with so many buddy guards armed with uzi wtf ...! I can imagine AQA representative sees OCR questions and be like you serious?!? haha what a daft question
thegodofgod
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hahaha yeh representative with so many buddy guards armed with uzi wtf ...! I can imagine AQA representative sees OCR questions and be like you serious?!? haha what a daft question
Oh hell no...

It would be the other way around (OCR telling AQA that they have daft questions )
ferozarshad123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
they dont react with the ethanol, just dissolve. and in the water it doesnt dissolve so a white precipitate forms.
cw0161
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
well you need to be 100% sure, okay!
cw0161
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by thegodofgod)
You could probably also use a mortar + pestle too (given the seeds are small enough)

LOL u r sooooooo scientific
cw0161
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Spoiler:
Show
sos but u r so scientific
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (18)
8.74%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (125)
60.68%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (30)
14.56%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (29)
14.08%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (4)
1.94%

Watched Threads