Skyscrapers or heritage - Watch

RK
  • TSR Community Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by KizD)
The original shard of glass was planned to be much taller. 911 happend and they reduced the height by about 25% if memory serves me right. I think the current project is excellent.
That is a shame as I was looking at the pictures of it earlier and was thinking how it would be better if it were just a little bit taller...stood out that little bit more into the skyline
KizD
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yeh, maybe. You also must bear in mind London is not densely packed with skyscrapers, ranked 27 here; http://www.emporis.com/en/bu/sk/st/sr/ Any taller and I think it would look odd.
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
oh yes.
Mad Vlad
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Anyone think this looks a bit phallic?
Mad Vlad
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
This on the other hand... looks fantastic! Not exactly the most efficient use of the space, though...
jrhartley
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Mad Vlad)
Don't like it, but I don't see it as particularly more phallic than Swiis Re/ St. Mary's Ax. The other link I agree, looks good, but I'm not sure how you could build something that tall and thin and be able to adequately brace it. But I'm no engineer!
Mad Vlad
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by jrhartley)
Don't like it, but I don't see it as particularly more phallic than Swiis Re/ St. Mary's Ax. The other link I agree, looks good, but I'm not sure how you could build something that tall and thin and be able to adequately brace it. But I'm no engineer!
Hmm... true. Theres definitely something that doesn't look right with it... Perhaps its setting or maybe just the bad render not doing it justice. It looks really out of place.

[EDIT] As for the Minerva Building... I agree, they'll have to be careful that the wind doesn't cause aerodynamic effects like LIFT :eek: Being that thin - it surely couldnt withstand an 80mph gust, broadside, could it? Unless they plan to cable stay it to nearby buildings....
jrhartley
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yeah, and even if it was cable stayed, I'm sure with gusts you'd end up getting a lot of wind shear - would be an exciting place to work - proper fairground attraction time when the wind picked up. The only way that you could make it stable enough to be that thin, I'd have thought, would be to have so many cables as to render the whole exercsie pointless - you'd be approaching the number of cables whereby they would resemble beams connecting it to the surrounding buildings, offsetting the whole slender effect. will be interesting to see how they propose to address the wind issue.
Angel Interceptor
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I don't think that it looks that phallic - there are plenty of other buildings out there that have a greater resemblence to a ****.
Angel Interceptor
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
This on the other hand... looks fantastic! Not exactly the most efficient use of the space, though...
That does look very nice, however I don't think that they would cable it to nearby buildings to increase rigidity to prevent the frailties that may be exposed by wind-shear. I'm sure that they are other ways to ensure that the building does not sway too much due to the wind.
jrhartley
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Angel Interceptor)
That does look very nice, however I don't think that they would cable it to nearby buildings to increase rigidity to prevent the frailties that may be exposed by wind-shear. I'm sure that they are other ways to ensure that the building does not sway too much due to the wind.
Like how? You need to have diagonal cross-bracing. If the building is as thin as it looks in the renderings (i.e. about 1 room wide) - you ain't got much space for those diagonals to do any effective work. I'd be interested if anyone has any ideas how they think that building could be constructed.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (109)
19.57%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (227)
40.75%
Nope, not that interesting (221)
39.68%

Watched Threads